Kavanaugh

9 Nines

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh Jake please stop talking about stuff you don't understand it makes me cringe. I really can't bear to see someone embarrass themselves like this. 

When the Republican Party sends its people, they’re not sending the best.   They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems to Washington.  

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Likely so after he votes to confirm he can later claim he wanted an investigation 

Fuck Jeff Flake

1 minute ago, Starkiller said:

Here's the update:

"Sen. Jeff Flake said he will vote to advance Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court with the understanding that the sexual assault accusation against him will be investigated by the FBI. “I think it would be proper to delay the floor vote for up to but not more than one week in order to let the FBI do an investigation limited in time and scope,” Flake said on Friday afternoon, just hours after announcing he would support Kavanaugh."

I think this is reasonable, and what I advocated for earlier today. (I'd say maybe 10-14 days or so, but still). If for nothing else other than to create more trust in the process and institutions. Then we can live with the results knowing that we've done the due diligence, used the resources at hand, and can proceed with all the information we can reasonable gather.

1 minute ago, OILERMAN said:

Likely so after he votes to confirm he can later claim he wanted an investigation 

Unless I'm misunderstanding, there would be a delay first. He's saying he'll support Kavanaugh, but only with an FBI investigation first. Barring any new facts, he'll then vote for Kavanaugh.

Edited by Cyrus

5 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

I think this is reasonable, and what I advocated for earlier today. (I'd say maybe 10-14 days or so, but still). If for nothing else other than to create more trust in the process and institutions. Then we can live with the results knowing that we've done the due diligence, used the resources at hand, and can proceed with all the information we can reasonable gather.

Glad to see you've come around on the FBI investigation.

Actually, this decision bypasses the Senate Judiciary's process ownership of vetting the candidate in full.  The delay still occurs, if I understand correctly. At most this saves face for repub leadership on the judiciary committee, nothing else.  But make no mistake passing through a candidate conditionally is an abdication of responsibility.  Perhaps it's best outcome NOW, but it did not have to come to this had Grassley and repub leadership allowed for the FBI investigation -- one that surely would be complete by now.

17 minutes ago, begooode said:

Glad to see you've come around on the FBI investigation.

Actually, this decision bypasses the Senate Judiciary's process ownership of vetting the candidate in full.  The delay still occurs, if I understand correctly. At most this saves face for repub leadership on the judiciary committee, nothing else.  But make no mistake passing through a candidate conditionally is an abdication of responsibility.  Perhaps it's best outcome NOW, but it did not have to come to this had Grassley and repub leadership allowed for the FBI investigation -- one that surely would be complete by now.

I have since the new allegations came to light. When it was just Ford, I wasn't sure it would yield much answers. (I wasn't opposed to it though in principle, but it did feel like political theater at the time). However we're talking about other allegations with dozens of potential witnesses (something that the Ford case really didn't offer - and the potential corroborating witnesses said they don't ever remember that party).

So even though the credibility of some of the new accusers are very strained, there are actual witnesses that can be interviewed now, and it a formal investigation process could actually yield actual answers. Plus the overall environment that new allegations present demands a greater process so that we preserve trust and integrity in our institutions.

See below:

On 9/27/2018 at 9:54 AM, Cyrus said:

I agree with you, especially in light of recent allegations that the process needs to be slowed down and an investigation needs to occur.

As for your second point, I think this is a weak line of reasoning. Perhaps the word "tragedy" is a bit too provocative in this circumstance, but it wouldn't be a just outcome. We need to hold up a standard for everyone, even people with we disagree with or we may feel are privileged in some way. Since there's some type of fact finding process in place (through hearings, background checks and the FBI) then we need to use those to their full extent. Once those are used to their fair and reasonable capacity, we can let Senators make a decision in keeping with their judgment and conscience. 

I think you're right about the tactics used here, and an FBI investigation (again in light of recent allegations) would do much to create a better, more fair process for everyone.

On 9/26/2018 at 8:42 AM, Cyrus said:

Need to catch up on many of these replies, but the Julie Swetnick accusations need to be investigated and if there's any element of truth they need to vote Kavanaugh down and start over. It's that simple.

Edited by Cyrus

43 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding, there would be a delay first. He's saying he'll support Kavanaugh, but only with an FBI investigation first. Barring any new facts, he'll then vote for Kavanaugh.

If he truly wanted the FBI investigation he would tell them to do it before they vote it through committee. 

1 hour ago, Cyrus said:

If there are no new facts after a week of investigation, the FBI isn't worth their salt. Kavanaugh has lied multiple times already and the GOP has managed to ignore all of them. You only lie if you have something to hide. Kavanaugh refused to agree to an FBI investigation. That would have been one sure fire way to clear his name IF HE WAS INNOCENT. Now he and his family can chew on this for another week. It wouldn't surprise me to see him withdraw. The guy is a nutjob and doesn't have the temperment to deserve a lifetime nomination.

Edited by freakingeek

10 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

If there are no new facts after a week of investigation, the FBI isn't worth their salt. Kavanaugh has lied multiple times already and the GOP has managed to ignore all of them. You only lie if you have something to hide. Kavanaugh refused to agree to an FBI investigation. That would have been one sure fire way to clear his name IF HE WAS INNOCENT. Now he and his family can chew on this for another week. It wouldn't surprise me to see him withdraw. The guy is a nutjob and doesn't deserve a lifetime nomination.

He seems to be a liar - just look at his mannerism and what his friends have said that contradict his choir boy self-proclaimed persona.  Although on FBI, there is chance he wanted it but did not say so for fear President Trump might pull him if he disagreed with the President. I doubt that is the reason, because he is likely guilty but it is possibility. 

Mark Judge might be the key and based on his actions of late, hiding out in a boathouse or camper or something, the FBI needs to grab him before he leaves the country or geos hiding somewhere else. 

Edited by 9 Nines

• 9 Nines changed the title to Kavanaugh