Soccer

Yogaguy

One of Mariota's somewhat unique skills is his ability to run while staying on balance, always ready to throw quickly and in rhythm. Most QBs overextend, either taking a longer-than-normal lead step, and/or winding up while exagerrating the shoulder motion, even jumping in the air, all of which are likely to affect accuracy when attempting to throw. In the link's verbage he explains this skill is a result of his learning to play soccer in his youth. Interesting... http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13006583/marcus-mariota-tennessee-titans-says-soccer-helped-football-instincts

Edited by Jamalisms

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lol Good ol' scine.  "The ratings and popularity is from Hispanics so that doesn't really count as actual people."

​Is anything american? We are all from other countries. Soccer is the largest sport in the world and will be the largest sport in the US at some point. Football is too complicated to expand internatio

Soccer is so awesome, Cyrus has to make up words to adequately express the level of required athleticism. Let's that sink in.

LOL; men's soccer is kinda painful to watch. Women's soccer I actually enjoy watching.

Not into crossfit as a system, but there are movements they use I like. 'Discovered' a new one at the gym yesterday from my trainer; plank with one hand and a row with a cable or resistance band, and make sure to keep BOTH hips DOWN and level; NO piking. Had never tried that. You will feel the Abs working IF you keep the butt down, trust me...

Soccer is great for isolation and control/coordination of the legs and feet, while staying balanced, ready to quickly change direction on the run with the arms/shoulders ready to perform an independent action (like throwing a football).

Jumping rope is probably child's play to Mariota, who keeps himself in great shape. Soccer is much more challenging... Eager to see this guy in NFL action!

People do not care about the MLS. 

If the MLS is LUCKY it'll be a quarter as popular as the NHL in 20 years.

How have the TV ratings been for the MLS?

I can say for myself that I absolutely despise soccer. I once had the misfortune of being forced to attend an MLS game and I had to second guess whether I was still in the United States or had somehow unknowingly entered Brazil or Colombia.  I'd rather watch paint dry than watch a soccer match.

That being said, the athletic ability of these guys is unbelievable. The shape you have to be in to be a professional soccer player rivals any of the major US sports, including basketball and hockey. Tennis is maybe the only sport where you have to be in better shape than soccer, and that's debatable.

Edited by scine09

People do not care about the MLS. 

If the MLS is LUCKY it'll be a quarter as popular as the NHL in 20 years.

How have the TV ratings been for the MLS?

I can say for myself that I absolutely despise soccer. I once had the misfortune of being forced to attend an MLS game and I had to second guess whether I was still in the United States or had somehow unknowingly entered Brazil or Colombia.  I'd rather watch paint dry than watch a soccer match.

That being said, the athletic ability of these guys is unbelievable. The shape you have to be in to be a professional soccer player rivals any of the major US sports, including basketball and hockey. Tennis is maybe the only sport where you have to be in better shape than soccer, and that's debatable.

​You don't care. Many people in the US do. 

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2015-03-11/mls-soccer-social-media-growth-popularity-2015

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/63643/mls-encouraged-by-growth-in-tv-audiences.html

There are so many article now on the growth and rising popularity of the MLS that it gets ridiculous.    

But honestly I could care less  -   As long as I get to watch this every weekend

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2015/06/03/kaka-villa-giovinco-dazzle-may-skills-month

Ya'll can dismiss it all you want.  I'm pretty happy with it.  I just wish there was a team closer to Nashville. Luckily it looks like Atlanta will be one of the recent expansion teams. My only problem right now is that I have too many teams that I want to watch and too little time.    Good problem to have.  ;-) 

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2015-03-11/mls-soccer-social-media-growth-popularity-2015

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/63643/mls-encouraged-by-growth-in-tv-audiences.html

There are so many article now on the growth and rising popularity of the MLS that it gets ridiculous.    

But honestly I could care less  -   As long as I get to watch this every weekend

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2015/06/03/kaka-villa-giovinco-dazzle-may-skills-month

Ya'll can dismiss it all you want.  I'm pretty happy with it.  I just wish there was a team closer to Nashville. Luckily it looks like Atlanta will be one of the recent expansion teams. My only problem right now is that I have too many teams that I want to watch and too little time.    Good problem to have.  ;-) 

​I haven't made the jump to watching MLS soccer yet. I've been getting my feet wet by watching a good amount of the Premiere League. I'm not even a fan yet and I'm a snob. I know, it's sad. Thing is I got roped in by the world cup so I actually know more international players than I do domestic guys (Dempsey, Jones, Donovan, Yedlin, Altidore etc).

​Wake me up when there's a big TV contract for the MLS. It'll never happen. People don't watch it. It may be fun for kids to play, that's been the same forever. I've been hearing the same stories since the World Cup was in the US in 1994. And 20 years from now if we're both still on this message board we'll be having the same conversation. I remember when the US beat Spain in some tournament a few years back everyone was saying what a big moment it was for soccer in this country. Does anyone (not you because you're a big fan) but the average sports fan even know what I'm talking about? When the US beat Ghana in the World Cup last year people were starting to compare it to some of the biggest moments in the history of this country. Now a year or so later how many people (again, not you, but the average sports fan) even remember how the US did in the World Cup, who they beat and who they lost to?

scine, it is true that soccer has not caught fire like the rosy predictions said it would, but soccer has made HUGE gains in the US since 1994.  It's not just something that is "fun for kids."

Hell I am being baptized myself into the insanity.  The old "soccer mom" cliché is way outdated.  My daughter was in the U11 Academy (essentially, semi travel all star type league) here in little old Macon.  We went up to a tournament in Atlanta and one of the parents told me that the team we were playing was ranked.  Nationally.  Blew my mind.

In 1994 there was no such thing as MLS.  Now it is in many cities, and is very popular in those cities as far as fans coming to the games.

The pro-soccer guys engage in hyperbole, but your statement that MLS will be lucky to be a quarter as popular as NHL in 20 years is laughable hyperbole on the other side.  I don't think it will, but it would not shock me if it was drawing ratings similar to NHL in 20 years, if not sooner.  Taking into account TV ratings for all soccer (World Cup., Premier league and MLS) in the US and it may draw as good as NHL right now, or damn close.

Wake me up when there's a big TV contract for the MLS. It'll never happen. People don't watch it. It may be fun for kids to play, that's been the same forever. I've been hearing the same stories since the World Cup was in the US in 1994. And 20 years from now if we're both still on this message board we'll be having the same conversation. I remember when the US beat Spain in some tournament a few years back everyone was saying what a big moment it was for soccer in this country. Does anyone (not you because you're a big fan) but the average sports fan even know what I'm talking about? When the US beat Ghana in the World Cup last year people were starting to compare it to some of the biggest moments in the history of this country. Now a year or so later how many people (again, not you, but the average sports fan) even remember how the US did in the World Cup, who they beat and who they lost to?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/05/12/mls-us-soccer-sign-landmark-tv-media-rights-partnerships-espn-fox-univision-deportes

You mean like this?

:blink:

​How does that compare to the 4 major US TV contracts?

I noticed that "Hispanic Americans" was mentioned in that article. If it's growing at all that's the reason why, because of the large amount of Hispanics moving into this country. Like I said, when I was at the MLS game there were so many Hispanics that I wasn't sure whether I'd need my passport to get out.

​I haven't made the jump to watching MLS soccer yet. I've been getting my feet wet by watching a good amount of the Premiere League. I'm not even a fan yet and I'm a snob. I know, it's sad. Thing is I got roped in by the world cup so I actually know more international players than I do domestic guys (Dempsey, Jones, Donovan, Yedlin, Altidore etc).

​Yep.   Its why the MLS has gotten even funner to watch this season.   With Bradley, Dempsey, Jermaine Jones, Jozy Altidore, Mix, etc... all coming over to the MLS to play.   Its easier for those that watch international soccer to watch MLS.   Watch Toronto... (not now- the international guys are all playing friendlies).  They have Bradley and Jozy.    Seattle Sounders have Dempsey.   New England Revolution has Jermaine Jones and Aguedelo.  

Lots of good stuff to watch in the MLS now.   Toronto signed an international  top international player from series A this year that is fun to watch (he is still in his prime- for those saying they only get aging stars) 

The MLS is a lot of fun.  I follow it more than the NFL to be honest.