Schefter: Possible Titans OC - Ryan Day, Ohio State OC

Jamalisms

22 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Not saying I wanted him, but what is up with Jim Bob Cooter? Has he been mentioned for any jobs at all? Maybe Patricia plans to retain him? I saw where PK said Vrabel was interested in the Lions QB coach, Callahan, but that they were unlikely to let him leave. Perhaps Patricia is retaining several of the offensive guys?

I think his name is holding him back.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love the reaction because everyone is like:   "We wanted innovation ... but like ... innovation that's guaranteed to work ..."   LOL. 

I love this forum . Everyone screams for new young coaching and innovative spread concepts. Titans might hire a young college Oc proficient in those concepts and the forum freaks out because he’s not

PK paid members must be fuming mad.  

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Not saying I wanted him, but what is up with Jim Bob Cooter? Has he been mentioned for any jobs at all? Maybe Patricia plans to retain him? I saw where PK said Vrabel was interested in the Lions QB coach, Callahan, but that they were unlikely to let him leave. Perhaps Patricia is retaining several of the offensive guys?

I wondered if we were going to interview him as well. It sounds like he's Patricia is happy to keep him though. 

7 hours ago, oldschool said:

yup, concerns all over the place. I guess this is what we get for wanting Mularkey and friends fired.

Fans wanted something more exciting.  Management, "You're welcome".

4 hours ago, Pragidealist said:

Interesting take.  Perhaps on the fluffy side, but makes a case why this guy might be a good fit here, at this time.  

Whatever is going on, this looks like JRob's experiment.  While the Mularkey era was an expirement, it wasn't JRobs.  This one is.  Putting field concepts aside,  from what we have so far a polar opposite to the Mularkey staff.  Old and lots of experience vs young with little experience.  

AAS appears to have stepped aside.  JRob is in control.  The coming era of the Titans will be the story of Jon Robinson, failure or success.  Ultimately, I hope the guy is brilliant. 

9 minutes ago, Face said:

I'll take the unknown over that anyday of the week.

By "that" do you mean two winning seasons and a playoff game?  Could it have been more exciting?  Sure!  

I get it.  I was there too....watching shitty quarter after quarter.  I'm fine with moving on, and kind of excited by it, but I don't deny the "that" that got us a playoff win.  

10 minutes ago, BergerKing said:

Defilippo pisses all over this fool, fuck sake

But what else can you do with Mariota?

F'n Mularkey was out of Mariota's league

I'm sorry, but this isn't a play breakdown like the one of DeFilippo that has everyone on their knees for him.  It's talking about philosophy and tailoring what you do to the players you have.  Fuck sake.

I do not want to take the lazy approach of pigeon holing Day as running Chip Kelly’s offense, but a couple of points of note.

Ohio State’s offense this year was an outstanding running offense first and foremost.  All of Kelly’s offenses at both College and NFL have run the ball well.  Carlos Hyde had his best year rushing (averaging 4.6 ypc) when he was in that offense.  If Day comes here, I don’t doubt he emphasis the run very heavily, just not from jumbo sets with 9 offensive linemen.

Day and DeMarco Murray we’re together with the Eagles in 2015.  The run concepts that were used by the Eagles were clearly an awful fit for Murray.  If there was any question of Hatem returning, I think this signing would kill it. 

43 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Not exactly true IMO.  I don't think it was so much trying to fit a square peg into a round hole as it was simply not good scheme or flexible enough.  It actually worked pretty well in 2016 didn't it?  I think defenses figured it out and they didn't make adjustments.  With that said elements of it could work but there needs to be some modifications and better play calling. 

That’s exactly what I said ... adaptability, flexibility and less rigidity to one scheme 

2 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Dude, MM was running QB options and QB sweeps.  It isn't MM was stuck in his own old fashion scheme or something.  Maybe the scheme wasn't good but it wasn't because they refused to be original.  Your argument was MM tried to get players to conform to his scheme.  Not true at all.  They were not rigid.  Now you can argue in game adjustments weren't great or that the play calling wasn't great either.  But this idea MM was running head strong scheme he made the player conform to simply isn't right.  If anything MM tried to be too cute at times. 

It was a run first scheme that looked to set up big shots down the field with a qb whose strengths were quick reads, quicker release. 

He did some rpo, he did a little spread but mostly it was a classic, run first, vertical scheme when we didn’t have a run game and had qb whose greatest weakness was sitting in the pocket and throwing the ball deeper. 

It’s the same basic scheme MM used in Atlanta with Turner and Ryan. Then when it was obvious to everyone watching that the Titans were more productive spreading it out — they mostly ignored it and went back to the run heavy, vertical scheme. 

MM dabled in a bit of everything but was stuck in one scheme. That’s pretty much exactly what Jrob said - regarding the need to maximize talent. 

2 minutes ago, Rolltide said:

Back in July bleacher report rated our offensive schemes the 4th best in the league. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718815-nfl1000-ranking-the-best-offensive-schemes

I assume we stopped running the read option to avoid hits on Mariota. 

You guys are over focused on the read option. The run heavy, vertical offense worked one year but it never best suited Mariota. When that  became clear - the coaching staff never adapted. Robinski even had several quotes to the philosophy that they were going to do their scheme regardless