Stillman says Byard has requested his release from the Titans

BudsOilers

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If "impending retirement" is a dumbass way to say he's getting older, I'm banning the next douche who posts one of that guy's tweets.

Titans fans in 2022: "This roster is old, over-paid, and way too injury prone. We have to tear it down completely"!   *Ran cuts most of the old, over-paid, or injury prone players*  

I'm mad as fuck. I want Carthon gone 

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, titansfan said:

Lol positional value is easy to understand. But we're not talking about equal talent levels in a vacuum. Skill level still matters. What makes Tannehill as expendable as anyone else is his skull level. His positional importance only matters because you have to ensure you have a replacement ready

And if they found someone of higher skill level, they would have been shopping him like crazy like the Raiders did with Carr.   There was no suitable replacement.  It's not hard to understand except for a bunch of certain posters it seems.

1 minute ago, IrishTitansFan said:

So the Titans asked him to take a paycut, he said no but doesn’t want to leave

This probably goes nowhere, can’t see them cutting him 

Yep. It could even be a tactic for future negotiations of an extension during the season with the idea we won't continue paying top flight money for a FS. 

I disagree with the analytics squad about FS btw when they're as versatile as a guy like Byard that can play any and all coverages in the box and in center field. 

11 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

It's a rebuild, it's just not a fire sale. Yes, it had to be done but when you're likely returning 5/11 (maybe less) starters on offense you literally had to rebuild that side of the ball. 

I remember saying mid-season that we'd have to replace half of our starters on offense and people thought it was the wildest and most foolish prediction 

3 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I disagree with the analytics squad about FS btw when they're as versatile as a guy like Byard that can play any and all coverages in the box and in center field. 

If he weren't 30 and had the highest cap number for a FS this year, I wouldn't have a problem with them leaving his contract as is.

12 minutes ago, oldschool said:

NFL rosters turn over 25-30% every year. Sometimes you have to rebuild an entire position group or even multiple groups while still trying to win. The problem this board has is equating rebuild with tanking i.e. not trying to win

Oh yeah, it's definitely not a tanking situation. We're trying to win. We just have to rebuild to do it.

Just now, rns90 said:

If he weren't 30 and had the highest cap number for a FS this year, I wouldn't have a problem with them leaving his contract as is.

You're saying that like him having the highest cap number is unjustified. He's in the argument as the best safety in the game. Of course his is the highest. 

This is not similar to the Tannehill situation 

2 minutes ago, rns90 said:

I just don't think we have much of a choice. We're not gonna cut him and he can still play. 

What Byard and Tannehill have in common is that JRob pushed both their cap numbers higher.  To date, RC appears to be trying to avoid pushing cap space forward and deal with the issues in 2023.  Eventually he will probably have to push cap space into 2024, after he deals with as many 2023 solutions as he can.

Just now, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Not tanking but there were levers they could of pulled to be a little more aggressive in FA if they wanted to be.

Yeah. We're wisely setting ourselves up for next off-season. Ran is in no hurry to win big. An 9 win season will be more than enough to placate most fans and please ownership.

2 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I just don't think we have much of a choice. We're not gonna cut him and he can still play. 

It's not even much to debate. He still plays at an elite level and his contract is not some gross misnomer compared to the other top safeties. 

Titans kinda look bad here. Just pay him and be happy he's worth the cost. I get we are in a less than ideal cap position, but you starting cutting guys on him just to save $6m then you might as well go all in with rebuilding because it's not worth it and the messaging to other players and the fanbase would be at an area where you might as well just rip off the band aid

10 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Not tanking but there were levers they could of pulled to be a little more aggressive in FA if they wanted to be.

This is a bad FA year.  He's playing it right outside of maybe signing one of those flawed WR.  Even the two G's that everyone thought would get paid a little (Risner and Semaulo ) are still out there.