Amani Hooker in prelim talk for extension

TheBukafax

1 hour ago, AvgJoe said:

Get it done, and start working on Long and Fulton too. Absolutely no reason not to keep the defense intact for years saving all the money from #11 being traded. 

Can't sign Fulton until after this year I believe.  Have to be 3 years into the rookie contract 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Beautiful. I really hope they get it done before the season because I feel like his value is going to climb.

That’s one expensive Hooker!

I've posted numerous times I believe Hooker should be at the top of the list for the Titans to extend this off season.    He's very underrated.   Of course Simmons is getting exten

39 minutes ago, cshumak2 said:

Can't sign Fulton until after this year I believe.  Have to be 3 years into the rookie contract 

If Fulton plays 17 games this year, it will be his first year to do it.  Lots of guys have talent but availability is just as important.

12 hours ago, titaninpgh said:

It will be unusual, and long term unsustainable, to have your salary cap allotment for the secondary dedicated almost entirely to safeties. 

It'll work for a few years because we have all young CBs on their rookie deals but sooner or later we'll have to adjust our cap allotment.

7 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Our CBs are all on rookie contracts. Byard is a top 3 safety and Hooker is extremely underrated. By the time Byard’s deal comes up up he will either take less or hit FA. That will fall in line with Fulton getting a second deal.

Basically, you’re wrong, because the allotment falls squarely along the rookie contracts for our cornerbacks. 

Byard is scheduled to have a $17M cap hit during what would be the first year of a Fulton extension.

Why does everyone assume Byard will either leave via FA or take a big pay cut at 30yo? There’s a good chance he has another 4-5 years of Pro Bowl level play. 

There’s also a strong chance that the Titans have to sign vet CB in next 2 years if Farley and/or McCreary don’t pan out. 

Not many teams dedicate that much of their cap to the safety position, even disregarding their CB salaries. Not sure why it’s controversial to acknowledge to risk of paying two safeties top of market money. And by the way, Byard is now underpaid after what Fitzpatrick got, and Hooker’s contract could be hefty. 

19 minutes ago, titaninpgh said:

Byard is scheduled to have a $17M cap hit during what would be the first year of a Fulton extension.

Why does everyone assume Byard will either leave via FA or take a big pay cut at 30yo? There’s a good chance he has another 4-5 years of Pro Bowl level play. 

There’s also a strong chance that the Titans have to sign vet CB in next 2 years if Farley and/or McCreary don’t pan out. 

Not many teams dedicate that much of their cap to the safety position, even disregarding their CB salaries. Not sure why it’s controversial to acknowledge to risk of paying two safeties top of market money. And by the way, Byard is now underpaid after what Fitzpatrick got, and Hooker’s contract could be hefty. 

It isn’t a controversial take, more just an incorrect understanding of what they’re trying to accomplish. 

16 minutes ago, japan said:

I get what you're saying now.  Maybe that one play was Polamalu-ish, but Hooker is so much less of a player than Polamalu that I was puzzled.

Ya definitely not all around, first half was just talking about that play he mentioned, of I thought he was palamalu like, do you think I would have said I think he would only get 8mil a year if he was that good?

Edited by Callidus

3 hours ago, freakingeek said:

It'll work for a few years because we have all young CBs on their rookie deals but sooner or later we'll have to adjust our cap allotment.

There will have to be some significant roster moves/adjustments made in 2023 before any new contracts and/or extensions are signed.

Over the cap projects the Titans at 15.5M over the cap for 2023 based on a 17M increase in the cap to 225M.

Spotrac project the Titans at 23.5M over the cap based on a 10M increase in the cap to 218M.

A couple of caveats to those numbers:  Neither number includes any salary of McCreary or Willis who are currently unsigned and will slightly raise those deficits.  Neither number includes any cap space rolled over from 2022.

As much as I really like Hooker, you can’t pay everyone. I’d rather keep Byard and find a replacement for Hooker. Theo Jackson has really good tape and could surprise as a starter.

6 minutes ago, ctm said:

There will have to be some significant roster moves/adjustments made in 2023 before any new contracts and/or extensions are signed.

Over the cap projects the Titans at 15.5M over the cap for 2023 based on a 17M increase in the cap to 225M.

Spotrac project the Titans at 23.5M over the cap based on a 10M increase in the cap to 218M.

A couple of caveats to those numbers:  Neither number includes any salary of McCreary or Willis who are currently unsigned and will slightly raise those deficits.  Neither number includes any cap space rolled over from 2022.

I haven’t been this excited for our defense in a long time. We have a legitimate chance at being really great. We just need to create more turnovers. Our corners definitely need to become more ball hawking instead of limiting big plays, Sonetimes you have to be more aggressive

Good move.  It's amazing how JRob has kept the Titans in SB striking distance.  They have churned through a lot of first round picks Conk, Davis, Adoree, wilson and Evans.  They know who to let go and who to pay.  AJB was a tough loss, but he preferred being a diva.  To be a Titan you have to be about football and be able to perform.  We're entering the sixth year of the MM run.  In 2018, Mariota and Carr we being touted as the next elite QBs to replace Brady and Rodgers.  

It's not about your draft position.  You come here.  Learn the system.  Best players start.  It's all about football with the Titans.  This may be the least talented team we have fielded during this run and they have a legit a shot at a SB.

13 hours ago, AvgJoe said:

Get it done, and start working on Long and Fulton too. Absolutely no reason not to keep the defense intact for years saving all the money from #11 being traded. 

Now-ish would actually be a great time to lock Fulton up. He's an ascending player but hasn't done nearly enough to command big money. That might change in a big way after this season. I think he's about to really break out.

23 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Now-ish would actually be a great time to lock Fulton up. He's an ascending player but hasn't done nearly enough to command big money. That might change in a big way after this season. I think he's about to really break out.

That’s probably why he won’t sign lol he’s not dumb.

Titans won’t be 23.5 mil over the cap and strung with cap problems going into FA next year. 

After they release RT, and Julio Jones dead cap # is off the books, and the team likely parts with Lewan and likely Dupree who will end up saving something like 19 million alone, and either restructure, or extend Cunningham and Woods and also probably the release or restructure of Henry the team will have an insane amount of wiggle room and that’ll all be done after the likes of Simmons and Hooker already extended. That would leave a fuck ton of cap space and the team needing to extend Fulton, and hopefully Davis, Long, and Chris Jackson. 

If NPF and Radunz settle into the starting LT and RT roles after this season then that’s going to be monumental for the team in terms of FA decisions and draft decisions as well as allow the GM to not throw money and draft picks at OT for a 3rd straight season and switch focus toward a monumental trade for QB if Willis is no bueno