Titans Trade Casey

tgo

20 hours ago, Number9 said:

It was dumber than shit to pass him up.  Just like it was dumber than shit to draft Jake Locker at #8.  The next time they make a pick using that reasoning it will be dumber than shit again.

I personally love playmakers with attitudes and diva complexes. They don't get that way by being average. 

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Patriot way. Get rid of players a year early rather than a year late. I would have expected a better pick though, maybe a 3rd or 4th. a 7th is kind of insulting.

Wow I’m actually sad to see him go. One of my favorite players. Always gave full effort even when we were the worst team in the league.    I’ll never forget him chasing down a WR (TE?) from beh

Lot of cap ignorance in this thread....

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Some of the contracts and choices were clearly wrong.  The pain in 2004/2005 was directly related to those decisions.  They had no business having to cut Godfrey, Mason, and Rolle for example because they had to keep the fucking punter.

Reese did what he had to do to get under the cap when they had no choice. He knew that eventually he’d have to pay the piper, but they kept the team together as long as he could as long as they were contending.

5 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Reese did what he had to do to get under the cap when they had no choice. He knew that eventually he’d have to pay the piper, but they kept the team together as long as he could as long as they were contending.

I remember him saying that both Bud and Fisher were brought in on those decisions and alternatives were offered and that it was a joint decision to go for the ring knowing the window would slam shut abruptly because of it.

As far as Casey is concerned, he's actually fortunate he got traded, there's no way he'd be making as much this year if he had been outright released; in today's twitter world the time between when the team can notify you and the deal going down has shrunk  immensely. I do get how he feels, when it happens to you, you have to take it personally.

15 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Mainly what Reese missed was what teams do now out of necessity.  Let some positions walk that can be replaced via low priced vets or draft picks.  Prioritize the core.  Keeping the draft pick instead of making the deal for Carter makes more sense if you are heading to CAP hell.  

And yea they did a huge favor to Casey because right now Denver has plenty CAP room and if he has a decent year might also get paid next year as well.  

True but Casey obviously feels like he was kicked to the curb. Not a good look for JRob, eventhough it was strictly a business decision in preparation for the future of the franchise. I'm sure it caught Casey completely  by surprise and he was hoping to retire a Titan.

Edited by freakingeek

On 6/11/2020 at 10:44 AM, freakingeek said:

True but Casey obviously feels like he was kicked to the curb. Not a good look for JRob, eventhough it was strictly a business decision in preparation for the future of the franchise. I'm sure it caught Casey completely  by surprise and he was hoping to retire a Titan.

This is all true, but I'm not sure how Jrob could have handled it much differently.  It would be difficult to warn players in advance, "Hey, we may be trading you at some point in the near future, but we're not sure yet, but keep playing hard for us until then."

Casey had bought into the new Titans and probably had his feelings and pride hurt.  But man, as a Pro, you have to know this stuff can happen to almost any player at any time.   Jrob shouldn't be "penalized" in the court of NFL opinion for doing his job in the best way he knows how.

10 hours ago, smokeater said:

This is all true, but I'm not sure how Jrob could have handled it much differently.  It would be difficult to warn players in advance, "Hey, we may be trading you at some point in the near future, but we're not sure yet, but keep playing hard for us until then."

Casey had bought into the new Titans and probably had his feelings and pride hurt.  But man, as a Pro, you have to know this stuff can happen to almost any player at any time.   Jrob shouldn't be "penalized" in the court of NFL opinion for doing his job in the best way he knows how.

Casey was treated very well as a Titan. I can see both sides of the story though. Bottom line  is that it IS a business.If we had waited one mor year and not extended Casey (which we wouldn't have) we wouldn't have gotten anything in return.

5 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Casey got two big extensions from the Titans and made millions. He wasn't treated unfairly. 

And when his career is over this stuff will blow over, it always does 

If anything, the second extension was too generous.

We would have gotten a 3rd round comp pick (in 2019) if we had let his contract expire in 2018 vs the 7th round pick is 2020 and $3M dead money...

Hindsight is always 20/20...

Edited by ChemEngr79

1 hour ago, ChemEngr79 said:

If anything, the second extension was too generous.

We would have gotten a 3rd round comp pick (in 2019) if we had let his contract expire in 2018 vs the 7th round pick is 2020 and $3M dead money...

Hindsight is always 20/20...

I think it would have been a 4th but your point stands.

2 minutes ago, ChemEngr79 said:

I initially put 3rd-4th and then firmed up to a 3rd.

I agree it is borderline.

Ya we have no idea what he would be paid. We would have got more back. But would we be where we are now if we did is the question.

Edit: the saffold signing may have negated this whole thing. We did not lose anyone else to a big contract did we?

Edited by Callidus

3 hours ago, Callidus said:

Ya we have no idea what he would be paid. We would have got more back. But would we be where we are now if we did is the question.

Edit: the saffold signing may have negated this whole thing. We did not lose anyone else to a big contract did we?

No, we also signed Humphries and Wake to big money deals too.  I think we lost Spain and a few other lower level guys.  We weren't going to get a pick for Casey if he departed and signed with someone else anyway.  We signed too many free agents.

4 hours ago, Callidus said:

It was the previous year, so Saffold wouldn't have affected it (I think).

I don't recall without researching if we would have had an offset...

Edited by ChemEngr79

1 hour ago, ChemEngr79 said:

It was the previous year, so Saffold wouldn't have affected it (I think).

I don't recall without researching if we would have had an offset...

Your right. I had the years of his contract and the others off. We also signed butler that year so we had no chance at a pick for him.