Titans Tag Henry

Jonboy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man, nfl players can be so dumb.      Not to mention...they’ve said they’re working on a long-term deal with him! Smh. 

I think it’s Clowney.     

Draft Taylor at 29 if he’s there and let Henry sit if he wants!U grab a bonafide #2 rb and leverage.Worse case u plug him in as a starter.I know it all sounds so easy but he doesn’t have the leverage most assume.Yea it doesn’t seem fair yada yada but that’s life and they made the rite decision.

2 hours ago, FinFaninNOVA said:

He had two great games and two decent game in the last 4 games of 2018. Before Tannehill took over Henry had 5 100 yard games in 54 regular season games. He had 5 in the next 10 games. 

Henry was a better RB than Tannehill was a QB before they played together. Henry has also been a WAY better playoff performer before and during the Tannehill era. Slow your roll on acting like Henry wouldn't put in work with any GOOD QB. Tanehill had good backs in Jay Ajayi and Kenyan Drake and he didn't exactly set the league on fire.  They certainly brought out the best in each other but at least Henry had shown flashes of dominance previously while Tannehill hadn't even shown enough to earn a camp competition with Mariota who ironically had been holding Henry and the offense back for years. I'm happy to have Ryan too but relax. 

This my thing. There is a fine line with any situation like this. It's doing the right thing and the level of disrespect felt from it if your Henry. Henry would be crazy to report when he knows that he is now the best back in the league and he's gonna get used like it. Recency bias has guys thinking Tannehill's one of the greats so let's see if he sinks or floats without Henry if a deal can't be reached.

The tag is simply the Titans milking another reasonably priced year out of Henry as well as seeing if he can repeat last year. Henry was due for a big payday. If he plays for the tag and gets injured it’ll cost him millions. It’s strictly business. If I was Henry I wouldn’t like it. I’m sure his agent hates it worse than he does. It wasn’t Henry OR Tanny that took us to the AFC championship. It was the combination of the two that made us hard to defend. That said Henry was almost impossible to stop with the game on the line.

Edited by freakingeek

4 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

Henry was almost impossible to stop with the game on the line.

Unless they try to run him into a goal line front on the 40 yard line.

4 hours ago, ChemEngr79 said:

I have had the same thought...pay Henry an extra $1-2M/yr to get him signed to allow a tag or tag/trade of Conklin...

I can only assume JRob thinks an average contract number for Henry closer to the ~$8M/yr range represents fair value over the next few years and cannot bridge the gap if Henry thinks he is worth $15M/yr.

Taking the long view, Henry was playing at a ~$12-15M/yr level in the second half of the season and playoffs. However, it is unlikely that level of play will be his average moving forward, but that is what we would be paying him on average if he gets a 4yr/$60M type of deal.

The smart move is to Tag him for $10M and either tag him again or let him walk for a 2022 comp pick after giving him another 400 touches this year...

I hate it, but paying a top of the market RB long-term is not usually a winning formula.

At the end of the day, JRob has earned my trust to figure it out...

Amen.

22 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

The tag is simply the Titans milking another reasonably priced year out of Henry as well as seeing if he can repeat last year. Henry was due for a big payday. If he plays for the tag and gets injured it’ll cost him millions. It’s strictly business. If I was Henry I wouldn’t like it. I’m sure his agent hates it worse than he does. It wasn’t Henry OR Tanny that took us to the AFC championship. It was the combination of the two that made us hard to defend. That said Henry was almost impossible to stop with the game on the line.

I totally agree with this. I think if he can show last year was no fluke, he can get the huge contract he wants. I think this is a smart move by the Titans.

Don't forget, before the Eddie George talk, Henry may have been on the trading block. I think another season gives us a better sample size. I do hope they can work in some big incentive bonuses for good play.

I just hope Henry doesn't lose motivation to play without the deal he wanted..

12 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

Henry was a better RB than Tannehill was a QB before they played together. Henry has also been a WAY better playoff performer before and during the Tannehill era. Slow your roll on acting like Henry wouldn't put in work with any GOOD QB. Tanehill had good backs in Jay Ajayi and Kenyan Drake and he didn't exactly set the league on fire.  They certainly brought out the best in each other but at least Henry had shown flashes of dominance previously while Tannehill hadn't even shown enough to earn a camp competition with Mariota who ironically had been holding Henry and the offense back for years. I'm happy to have Ryan too but relax. 

LOL. Henry was a better RB on an excellent run blocking team than Tannehill was a QB on a shitty pass blocking team? You don't say.... Even still, the difference wasn't very much. 

Tannehill averaged a passer rating above 100 with an excellent W/L record in every stretch that the Dolphins had a mediocre OL or better from 2014 to 2018. All the traits you saw last season were evident in Miami when the OL wasn't sucking bad. 

The difference between games 1-6 and 7-16 (when putting in a QB with no starter reps) was so dramatic that this shouldn't even be a discussion. 

BTW, what was incorrect about this:

"He had two great games and two decent game in the last 4 games of 2018. Before Tannehill took over Henry had 5 100 yard games in 54 regular season games. He had 5 in the next 10 games. "

16 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

Its hard for me to compare the 2019 Titans, QB/RB aside, to the Dolphins of 2012-2018.  The primary problem with that comparison as at the GM and HC position.  Worlds apart.  Those two positions matter much more than many fans like to believe.  Throw that in with the revolving coaching door they had in Miami through that time (HC/OC/DC) and it's even worse, not to mention the OL Miami consistently trots out there.  The Dolphins have perennially sucked at fundamentals and discipline...going back to the end of the Jimmy Johnson run, maybe the Bama coach's short tenure.  Had Tennessee played Tannehill with Drake, they would have done well also...Ajayi's done, his knee was done before he was drafted, he just had a few spurts.

I think Tannehill/Henry/OC are a great fit together, on THIS team, with this coach and players, and system.  Chemistry matters too.

16 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

Ajayi and Drake were not in the same stratosphere as Henry.  But that isn't the real factor.  The Titan's run blocking last year blows the Miami OL out of the league for the entire Tannehill time in Miami.  This actually says more about Tannehill than Henry.  It says Tannehill was able to perform better than average on a team that was so blatently mis-coached and mis-managed that's it's actually a miracle his career survived the shit they did to him.  Last year was the most accurate meter to judge Ryan's career and true potential.  He was rock solid consistent.  You think that consistency 10 games in a row is going to disappear in a QB that is in the first year or two of his prime?  Not likely unless the Titans start mis-managing to extent the Dolphins have done for the last 2 decades.   Tannehill played better than and had more composure than Mariotta from the first day he stepped onto the field for the Titans.  When he started showing his stuff as the "competition" went on, they quickly limited his first team snaps.  Mariotta was going to get his shot no matter what.  

13 minutes ago, ctm said:

It's likely or very likely that the season gets cancelled.  Henry needs to sign the tag and get his guaranteed 10M before the Titans pull the offer and he's a free agent with no season.

JMO

likely or very likely?