Mariota is exceptional and he must be extended

code

1 minute ago, OILERMAN said:

If Mariota is willing to take a deal like that then he's not worth keeping anyway. 

Any average starting QB could have executed what Mariota did Sunday. There is no way you pay anything of note for that. 

We have to keep someone. Plenty of teams have that bottom tier starter level of QB right now. RT is in that same category. 

Maybe they would just sign RT to that Bortles type deal instead and be thinking of drafting a QB in 2020 or 2021. 

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wanted to put a fair and balanced opposing title to Oman's terrible and must be replaced.   Felt the universe calling and responded.   Do I truly feel this way? Ask me at the

The problem is he hasn't even shown he can be an effective, consistent game manager yet. Forget the rookie hopes of him becoming Rodgers. If he could even become Andy Dalton or Alex Smith then I'd be

I keep asking myself if I'd rather take a chance with some young gunslinger like Mayfield or Stafford (or a Fitzpatrick or Winston who gives the ball to the other team but isn't tentative with the foo

1 minute ago, big2033 said:

No he's a QB in his fifth year who hasn't been good enough to get a new contract.

You'd love his entire career to be summed up in one game but it isn't.

Haha, you asked me who he is right now and I gave you the up to the minute report.

Be careful what you wish for.

It's more than possible RT was traded for with the 2020 off season in mind. 

Tannehill gives them a potential starter to take over if they jettison Mariota. 

Tannehill would take a bottom tier deal to start and be a bridge guy. 

Then they'd be free to try and draft someone. 

8 hours ago, code said:

Is the season over yet? Has the evidence all been collected and sifted through? I mean, at this moment, MM is on pace to throw 48 TD passes, 0 interceptions, 4,000 yards and have a QB Rating of 150.0. Oh, and the team will be 16-0 headed to the playoffs.  At this moment, he is Joe Montana.  Or better.

Lol It's hard to tell who you're trolling harder with this...

Just now, Titans279 said:

I tend to agree but RT puts us in the same boat and a rookie is going to move the window back 2-3 years.

Let's see what he looks like in the offense before grouping him with Mariota.  He's thrown for 4,000+ yards with lesser supporting casts

1 minute ago, Titans279 said:

I tend to agree but RT puts us in the same boat and a rookie is going to move the window back 2-3 years.

Rookies fall in line much faster these days. At least if they can play. 

Wentz, Goff and Mahomes blew up in year two. 

3 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Sure. 

Either way we're moving the window back though. The odds of achieving a deep playoff run with Mariota in his current "form" are slim. So if we have an opportunity to get a long term upgrade in the offseason we have to take it regardless if it takes a year or two.

The Dolphins played the "Ryan Tannehill can help us now" game and it got them nowhere.

You're going to have to roll the dice.

Edited by big2033

5 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Sure. 

Either way we're moving the window back though. The odds of achieving a deep playoff run with Mariota in his current "form" are slim. So if we have an opportunity to get a long term upgrade in the offseason we have to take it regardless if it takes a year or two.

The Dolphins played the "Ryan Tannehill can help us now" game and it got them nowhere.

You're going to have to roll the dice.

"Ryan Tannehill can save us now" is the game that Miami played.  Which is what they'll play with the next sucker they draft.  Completely different situation than our own, where we need a QB who can be a functional part of the offense instead of standing in its way.

Edited by abc2330

14 minutes ago, big2033 said:

I'm not saying he should be replaced though. I'm just saying: The issues with our offense that last ... two years at least lie with him. This is what he is and therefore if/when he turns it around everyone on the team gets better.

The quarterback, the most important position. Yes, you can put some blame in other places, but QBs, top QBs, are drafted high to do the heavy lifting. And Mariota is barely capable.

He was drafted No. 2 overall. I expect him to do more than just stay healthy and do just enough to make the playoffs. 

Again, Andrew Luck carried a horribly run franchise on his back until it broke. And still did it at an All-Pro level.

Mariota hasn't done that and came with a competent GM and a coach willing to protect him with a run game. 

Instead, we blame everyone around him to do the lifting for him. He needs elite blocking, perfect play calls, star-making catches and a steady run game to be ... average. That's not worth our talent.

If you want to win more games not just this year but the next and the next after that you should expect WAY more or we're wasting talent on a very well run team.

Expectations be damned. There’s a disconnect there. QBs are taken relative to the value of their position which is elevated by the depth of talent vs need.

Shallow class, big need. Wasn’t a great year. Needed to get higher than we did for Locker. I doubt anyone thought we were getting top 5 or 10 talent with that pick. You do the best you can.

And replacing 8 this year with 17 or next year with 17 or anybody else ain’t necessarily going to make this team better at the QB position. 

So take the 1-0 start and like it.

2 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

"Ryan Tannehill can save us now" is the game that Miami played.  Which is what they'll play with the next sucker they draft.  Completely different situation than our own, where we need a QB who can be a functional part of the offense instead of standing in its way.

Honestly screw him too lol.

I don't like trusting in QBs who have already shown what they are.

What you'll find with me is I'm unforgiving once a player is given enough chances/seasons.

Ryan Tannehill leading us doesn't equate to that much more success. Mariota has to be play really bad for us to go there.

4 minutes ago, GLinks said:

Expectations be damned. There’s a disconnect there. QBs are taken relative to the value of their position which is elevated by the depth of talent vs need.

Shallow class, big need. Wasn’t a great year. Needed to get higher than we did for Locker. I doubt anyone thought we were getting top 5 or 10 talent with that pick. You do the best you can.

And replacing 8 this year with 17 or next year with 17 or anybody else ain’t necessarily going to make this team better at the QB position. 

So take the 1-0 start and like it.

So you admit he's average at best and are fine with being average at best? Our biggest struggle on offense is him?

Edited by big2033

The reality is that the Titans have a team that's turnkey ready for any QB.  Just like it's currently schemed to help Mariota, they would adjust if need be to Tannehill or another veteran QB or a high draft pick. 

To Oilerman's point, the things that they did the other day can be done with almost any NFL QB.  It was basic routes schemed where the primary receiver was wide open.