Mariota is exceptional and he must be extended

code

3 hours ago, Titans279 said:

Mariota isn't yet exceptional (that was obvious trolling though, I assume). Mariota can be acceptable though.

If you take Vrabel and JRob at their word (which sometimes is dumb to do, but sometimes not) then the reason for the lack of extension is availability. If Mariota plays acceptably and doesn't screw the team over with his lack of availability I don't think the team will necessarily move on from him next year.

I can totally see us keeping Mariota past this year if he plays solid and healthy. It's not easy finding either in the NFL and you generally need a really bad record to do so.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wanted to put a fair and balanced opposing title to Oman's terrible and must be replaced.   Felt the universe calling and responded.   Do I truly feel this way? Ask me at the

The problem is he hasn't even shown he can be an effective, consistent game manager yet. Forget the rookie hopes of him becoming Rodgers. If he could even become Andy Dalton or Alex Smith then I'd be

I keep asking myself if I'd rather take a chance with some young gunslinger like Mayfield or Stafford (or a Fitzpatrick or Winston who gives the ball to the other team but isn't tentative with the foo

3 hours ago, GLinks said:

I said he’s already blowing past it. 

Plenty of time is just because the league has to change the rules to get more viewership and revenue by making it offensive passing friendly. We’re just not getting there as fast as some fans want, and I understand that. 

We’re still building the team. We’ll make the next decision on Marcus when the season is over. I’m fine with that. Anything else at this point is premature.

Now I get that some posters are used to premature, but....

You think Mariota has already blown past Alex Smith? How?

And change what rules for Mariota? What are you talking about?

42 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

It was and then the Henry play happened, sucking the momentum away from the Browns and deflating the crowd.  Titans go three and out there and who knows what happens.  Smith had the perfect play call and the Titans executed it to perfection.

im not a fan of the what if game...that shit goes both ways.

other than the 1st drive by the browns the titans controlled the game for the most part and pulled away at the end IMO.

1 hour ago, big2033 said:

I can totally see us keeping Mariota past this year if he plays solid and healthy. It's not easy finding either in the NFL and you generally need a really bad record to do so.

If Marcus was the Alpha that everyone wants him to be, then if I was him or his agent or his father, I wouldn't return to the Titans no matter what.  What did he say when asked if it was important to him to be selected first?  He said no, he just want's to go to a team that he feels that wants him.  Well the Titans have made it loud an clear that they don't want him or appreciate all the blood and sweat and broken bones he put out for them.

2 minutes ago, 8MM said:

If Marcus was the Alpha that everyone wants him to be, then if I was him or his agent or his father, I wouldn't return to the Titans no matter what.  What did he say when asked if it was important to him to be selected first?  He said no, he just want's to go to a team that he feels that wants him.  Well the Titans have made it loud an clear that they don't want him or appreciate all the blood and sweat and broken bones he put out for them.

Huh?  Because he doesn't have an extension for $ 25 M plus per year?  If he had played better in parts of 2016, 2017, and 2018 he'd have already cashed in.  If he plays consistently well in 2019, he has nothing to worry about.  At worst, he'd be franchised.

I didn’t get to see the game since I was flying. But I noticed his stat line was abysmal to start the game, though he finished strong. Here is where I stand: Mariota needs to put up some gaudy numbers this season to warrant a contract extension and needs to be the reason we win some games. It cannot be that we are winning in spite of him. Game managers do not get $100M deals. At least they don’t do it and it go well. That being said, I like that the offense in a tough environment and in a tough setting found their footing in the 2nd Half. But if this is the best Mariota has to offer....move on.  

12 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Huh?  Because he doesn't have an extension for $ 25 M plus per year?  If he had played better in parts of 2016, 2017, and 2018 he'd have already cashed in.  If he plays consistently well in 2019, he has nothing to worry about.  At worst, he'd be franchised.

Nope.  None of those reasons.  I'd rather see him play 2nd string elsewhere for a few million a year than to go thru everything he had to go thru.  But knowing MM and him being a team first and a nice guy, he wouldn't do that.  In this regards, I label him stupid. 

1 minute ago, 8MM said:

I'd rather see him play 2nd string elsewhere for a few million a year .............. In this regards, I label him stupid. 

You're in luck on point 1 and I agree with your last point

8 minutes ago, 8MM said:

Nope.  None of those reasons.  I'd rather see him play 2nd string elsewhere for a few million a year than to go thru everything he had to go thru.  But knowing MM and him being a team first and a nice guy, he wouldn't do that.  In this regards, I label him stupid. 

Sorry but this idea that Mariota has been treated horribly by the Titans is completely asinine.  They have done about everything they could to try to help him succeed.

He's lucky as hell that he plays in Nashville.  He would have been run out of town in most NFL cities based on his play in 2017/2018. 

2 hours ago, big2033 said:

You think Mariota has already blown past Alex Smith? How?

And change what rules for Mariota? What are you talking about?

As the stats I posted clearly show...everyone’s ultimate gripes with Marcus:

A) Staying healthy

B) How availability impacts Wins & Losses

I know you have a brain. You can’t hide from me behind dumb posts, lol. But really

no way shut up GIF by THE NEXT STEP

This is you vs me right now, Siciliano. You already know how this ends.

princess bride GIF

15 minutes ago, GLinks said:

As the stats I posted clearly show...everyone’s ultimate gripes with Marcus:

A) Staying healthy

B) How availability impacts Wins & Losses

I know you have a brain. You can’t hide from me behind dumb posts, lol. But really

no way shut up GIF by THE NEXT STEP

This is you vs me right now, Siciliano. You already know how this ends.

princess bride GIF

No that's your gripes.

Statistically, he doesn't measure up. He's had 24 TDs and 25 INTs the last two years. And that's in 29 games played.

So again, what you talking about? 

Alex Smith's best versus Mariota's best still has Smith ahead.

I think you're trying to say because Mariota has had an Alex Smith season earlier that it means he'll get better ... lol.... no no my friend.

Alex Smith's best season came because the coaching staff realized his limits and put him in a conservative, game-managing offense. Something Mariota has ALREADY been put in.

Edited by big2033