QB Controversy

Denali

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, I know.  Some of you think this isn't even a controversy at this point, but I'll ask anyway.   Who wins the training camp battle for backup QB? Woodside or Mariota?  

Joel’s pulled his cock out of Gabbert’s ass and went straight to Tannehill!

Dolphins fan here. I wanted to check in to see what Titans fans thought of RT so far. I liked him in Miami, and felt like he had more in him than the coaches ever got out of him. I'm rooting for him t

Watched the New England feed, and about the only thing said about the qb controversy was that Tannehill throws a “better ball”.. mostly they talked about how Brady got in a weeks worth of practice against a highly motivated Titans defense.. very complimentary to our team working hard in a practice.. 

Per Rotoworld:

According to Ben Volin of the Boston Globe, the Titans' starting quarterback job "looks surprisingly wide open."

Mariota has reportedly done little to assert himself in camp this summer and is quickly losing ground to former Dolphins starter Ryan Tannehill, who completed 7-of-11 throws for 84 yards and a touchdown in Saturday's preseason loss to New England. Volin also cited a recent ESPN report that suggested Mariota is "no lock" to start while noting that some of the team's coaches prefer Tannehill. Even if Mariota is able to hold off Tannehill for the starting job, Volin said he figures to be on a "short leash." Heading into the final year of his rookie contract, the former Heisman Trophy winner could be nearing the end of his Titans tenure.

Edited by big2033

I'm honestly shocked there is a competition or MM is the clear cut starter, it's clear who the better QB is and it's not because Tannehill is some great QB, it's because of how poor MM is with the passing game. 

There is a good chance Amy is forcing them to give MM one last shot with the money he's making or his popularity or Robinson and/or Vrabel are willing to give him one last shot to see if he rises to the occasion maybe? 

I'd laugh my ass off if the team announced RT the starter before the opener, not because of any MM vs RT debates, just for how the local media has covered this and how stupid they'd look. 

5 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I'm honestly shocked there is a competition or MM is the clear cut starter, it's clear who the better QB is and it's not because Tannehill is some great QB, it's because of how poor MM is with the passing game. 

There is a good chance Amy is forcing them to give MM one last shot with the money he's making or his popularity or Robinson and/or Vrabel are willing to give him one last shot to see if he rises to the occasion maybe? 

I'd laugh my ass off if the team announced RT the starter before the opener, not because of any MM vs RT debates, just for how the local media has covered this and how stupid they'd look. 

Yeah. Good chance...

I’ve only watched highlights for the two games so far, but Tannehill is certainly passing the eyeball test.

One thing I’ve noticed about Tannehill though is he has a long wind up and some throws tend to get there “late” if that makes sense?

As @OILERMAN has said, RT isn’t even a quality QB, but he’s proving more consistent than Marcus and it shows. We’ll see how it plays out - preseason games aren’t the best measuring sticks. 

I'm pretty sure this is all just the national media finally paying attention to the Titans. The idea that RT might replace MM as the starter is no revelation.

When we traded for RT I was posting how this was crazy because it really did the most to signal the end of the MM era was likely 1 season away.

Then there's the glaring lack of contract extension.

And the statement from the owner that there will be no contract talks until after the season. That's pretty damning.

MM on a short lease? No shit!

Obviously it's a possibility RT will supplant MM before week 1. It just seem virtually impossible because it makes their offseason plan seem really dumb.

It seems pretty stupid to not have had an open competition if they aren't for whatever reason just rolling with Mariota at least for a decent sample of games.

If you believe, as they would hypothetically believe, that in an open competition it's more likely RT would win and you're willing to start RT week 1 it does the team a massive disservice to not give RT his share of the first team reps (or let him win the job in camp and then take all the reps).

Edited by Titans279

Just now, Aramis said:

I’ve only watched highlights for the two games so far, but Tannehill is certainly passing the eyeball test.

One thing I’ve noticed about Tannehill though is he has a long wind up and some throws tend to get there “late” if that makes sense?

As @OILERMAN has said, RT isn’t even a quality QB, but he’s proving more consistent than Marcus and it shows. We’ll see how it plays out - preseason games aren’t the best measuring sticks. 

You say this after watching Marcus throw the ball?

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

It’s almost assured that when the switch is made, it will be from a national guy or someone in another city.  Remember some dude in Houston broke the Locker benching.

6 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Tannehill is better

So this is going to make me seem crazy at first but just because RT often looks better at typical QB things than MM it doesn't necessarily translate into more wins. This is an extreme example but Jake Locker was terrible and Mett actually looked better at pretty much all typical QB things, but a healthy Locker won more games than a healthy Mett. Obviously it's due to the non-passing attributes they bring.

The other problem is that RT is not good at passing anyway. Don't forget the FiveThirtyEight article pointing out MM and RT had essentially identical adjusted passer ratings. MM had the 4th most inflated passer rating since 1950 and RT had the 10th.

RT is not good. His adjusted passer rating is basically inline with MM, Cam Newton, Derek Carr, and Jameis Winston. Based on passing ability alone how much do you think subbing in any of those guys for MM would change things (assume identical availability)? I don't think much would change overall.

1 minute ago, Titans279 said:

So this is going to make me seem crazy at first but just because RT often looks better at typical QB things than MM it doesn't necessarily translate into more wins. This is an extreme example but Jake Locker was terrible and Mett actually looked better at pretty much all typical QB things, but a healthy Locker won more games than a healthy Mett. Obviously it's due to the non-passing attributes they bring.

The other problem is that RT is not good at passing anyway. Don't forget the FiveThirtyEight article pointing out MM and RT had essentially identical adjusted passer ratings. MM had the 4th most inflated passer rating since 1950 and RT had the 10th.

RT is not good. His adjusted passer rating is basically inline with MM, Cam Newton, Derek Carr, and Jameis Winston. Based on passing ability alone how much do you think subbing in any of those guys for MM would change things (assume identical availability)? I don't think much would change overall.

Drew Brees never surpassed 3,600 yards when he was in SD.  Let's see what Tannehill looks like on this team instead of just looked at his production on a shitty one.  

14 hours ago, JoelinBellevue said:

In summation......Tannehill can make every throw Mariota can, and more. He can also do it better. Try to imagine Mariota dropping that pass to Firsker over his shoulder before the sideline. You can't because he can't. 

you guy's can make up your own facts, and say it with such passion but most of you haters are full of shit!!! Thank god for Utube.

28 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I think RT's is probably 2008 Kerry Collins with better mobility and a better arm.  The question is whether or not the other parts of the team are good enough to get by with this sort of qb play.