JRob quotes on Mariota in today's MMQB Column

Just now, StephenIsLegend said:

This should basically just end the thread. At this stage, I trust JRob a WHOLE lot more than some idiots on a message board. 

I do to, thus no extension 

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So right.   Wisdom from an Elder:  There reaches a point in life's journey that arguing slips away and one simply lets others be wrong.  I will likely be long gone before some on TR reach th

1. Yes we will get the answer. He either balls and gets extended or he’s gone.  2. The Seahawks. I mean, I get what you are trying to do in this thread, but comparing Mariota to Wilson is a

Notice that he didn't specify who.  He's obviously referring to Tannehill.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I think you two differ on the reasons for no extension, but that’s just speculation. 

Of course they do. If J-Rob felt Mariota was anywhere near as bad as @OILERMAN thinks he is, he wouldn't even be here anymore let alone being discussed as a starter who doesn't even have to face an open competition for his job. No competent GM would continually force a QB that sucks into the starting spot. Thus my point that J-Rob either disagrees that Marcus's chances or success are remote OR he's a completely incompetent GM that is wasting this franchise's time and most valuable resources and needs to be immediately fired. There is no 3rd way, it really is that simple. J-Rob just isn't willing to trust Mariota financially yet and INJURY not ability is the reason as evidenced by J-Rob never really discussing Marcuss ability yet referencing his health/availability issues. It's not even worthy of debate at this point. 

8 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Of course they do. If J-Rob felt Mariota was anywhere near as bad as @OILERMAN thinks he is, he wouldn't even be here anymore let alone being discussed as a starter who doesn't even have to face an open competition for his job. No competent GM would continually force a QB that sucks into the starting spot. Thus my point that J-Rob either disagrees that Marcus's chances or success are remote OR he's a completely incompetent GM that is wasting this franchise's time and most valuable resources and needs to be immediately fired. There is no 3rd way, it really is that simple. J-Rob just isn't willing to trust Mariota financially yet and INJURY not ability is the reason as evidenced by J-Rob never really discussing Marcuss ability yet referencing his health/availability issues. It's not even worthy of debate at this point. 

Yet the argument gets started from scratch every day and it isn't started by his supporters.

13 hours ago, big2033 said:

That's a very generic explanation. Every QB is the focal point of an offense.

Mariota is the one holding it back right now. Is he keeping us in better shape than some of our past QBs? Absolutely.

But no wideout or play call is going to elevate this offense to anything but average - especially since those are variables that will always change. We're below average right now.

Plays break down, WRs get hurt, blocking assignments are missed ... the QBs that can achieve things when they don't go according to script (and many times they don't) are the ones that carry their team.

It's on him.

this whole post by you is about as generic as it gets.  yes plays break down and WRs get hurt...which ones get hurt?  that's a big difference maker.  Delanie hurt and Matthews quits.  That's not something you just shrug off.  Plays break down on some teams way more than others.  Plays and blocking break down in a whole new system much more than in other systems.

what gets me the most is that so many posters that trash Mariota are the same ones that claim it's all on him.  OK then explain to me how we have been a 9-7 team 3 years straight and we got a playoff win.  Of course that's not spectacular but it's something.  Much better than what this team has been and to some extent impressive considering the constant changes in coaching this team has endured over the last 3 years.  Mariota has gotten very little help in that regard.

Aaron Rodger is great and is 9-7 in the playoffs

Tom Brady is on a great team that doesn't miss blocking assignments or have WRs running the wrong routes and he is 30-10 in the playoffs.

Teams matter.  Coaching matters.  This idea that it all is on one guy is just false.

Edited by bizzyeddie

47 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I don’t blame some posters for it. I mean, you know as well as I do that it gets super aggravating watching someone who can be very good at times just be so inconsistent. It doesn’t help his numbers have been poor, and we haven’t seen him healthy in quite some time now. 

there is still the possibility that they had to stick with Mariota cause they couldn't cut him due to injury.  

If that was somehow the case then I wouldn't expect them to make any kind of comments that would indicate that Mariota isn't the starter heading into camp.  There is just no reason to stir that pot.  Also no reason to let that info out.  Does no good.

When camp starts we will know what their true intentions are based on how they deal with the 2 QBs.

5 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

there is still the possibility that they had to stick with Mariota cause they couldn't cut him due to injury.  

If that was somehow the case then I wouldn't expect them to make any kind of comments that would indicate that Mariota isn't the starter heading into camp.  There is just no reason to stir that pot.  Also no reason to let that info out.  Does no good.

When camp starts we will know what their true intentions are based on how they deal with the 2 QBs.

His 5th year was guaranteed for injury and he ended up injured.  There was a small window in March before it became fully guaranteed where they possibly could have cut him but it's very debatable that he would have passed a physical.

Add in that they want him to pan out, so why move on yet?  Let it play out.  If he bombs out or gets hurt, they'll simply turn to Tannehill and reboot at the end of the year.

7 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

The real issue is that a lot of Mariota's issues are self inflicted, whether it's taking unnecessary hits by running or holding onto the ball too long, or the inconsistent mechanics and ball placement. 

Durability aside, most everyone on here acknowledges that he's inconsistent as a passer.  PFF has some metrics about accuracy that go into detail about where Mariota has a real problem and I think it has a lot to do with the production issues we've seen from the passing game. 

Accuracy + is hitting a receiver perfectly where they can maximize YAC - the concept of accurate ball placement  Adjusted accuracy includes the frame of the receiver - i.e. some adjustment needed. 

I believe this graph from the PFF tells the story.  Light grey denotes accuracy plus.  Dark grey is accuracy + frame.  Note that in every separation category, Mariota is well below average.  In fact, he was ranked 34th of 35 in the accuracy plus category.

884785939_MMPFF.jpg.2098e64252aee2ac1f505ec419587c09.jpg

381614406_MMPFFA.jpg.57ebb1bf9c4aa930ef793fa3f9bdf9f9.jpg

Can this improve?  I guess but I'm skeptical that he's going to all of the sudden become more accurate.  Conceptually, his athletic ability/use of his legs SHOULD help compensate for this but it doesn't because if he gets hit, he gets hurt.

More than likely, we'll see games where he's ON and games where he's not.  You can win games this way built around defense and the run game and be that 9 or 10 win wild card team. 

Scrub level

Mariota has proven nothing in terms of being the long term answer at QB, other than showing he has the potential to be very good at times. But potential doesn't keep you in the league very long. It's "prove it" time if he wants a long term deal. 

1 minute ago, BudAdams said:

His 5th year was guaranteed for injury and he ended up injured.  There was a small window in March before it became fully guaranteed where they possibly could have cut him but it's very debatable that he would have passed a physical.

Add in that they want him to pan out, so why move on yet?  Let it play out.  If he bombs out or gets hurt, they'll simply turn to Tannehill and reboot at the end of the year.

Im speaking in reference to the notion that if he was as bad as some believe then he wouldn't be on the team.  That's not exactly true cause there are some details there that we don't really know about.  How injured was he and could he pass a physical.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that JRob was done with Mariota after how last season ended.   Or at least he was there at some point and maybe calmed down some as time passed but that was a tough pill to swallow.  Playoffs on the line and supposedly he says he cant play??  Obviously we don't know all the details there either.

basically if I'm a GM I want the best QB on the field game 1 and I want him to play the whole season.  That is far and away my best chance to have a good season.  If there is any point where we are switching out QBs during the season I would think that our chances of being successful drop off considerably.

We will find out in camp what they think of Mariota and just how much they are willing to sacrifice the season to give him a chance to be the guy.

Some assume they want him to pan out (I actually do) but it's all just assumptions.  Maybe they don't or don't really care to chuck away a season on it.  We will know if we hear that they want to give Tannehill some reps with the 1s.

54 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I don’t blame some posters for it. I mean, you know as well as I do that it gets super aggravating watching someone who can be very good at times just be so inconsistent. It doesn’t help his numbers have been poor, and we haven’t seen him healthy in quite some time now. 

I definitely get it. QB purgatory is annoying as fuck and I get how some are growing to resent Mariota for it. Still gotta fight the temptation to go overboard at least for now. Besides if he does fail for whatever reason, the reckoning on this board will be unholy and Mariota will deserve it nice guy or not. If you already can't stand the guy or think he's a bum just wait a few months and you'll be able to tee off on him to your heart's content.