JRob quotes on Mariota in today's MMQB Column

4 minutes ago, 8MM said:

Simms- Marcus is an athlete who plays QB, not a QB who is an athlete.  shake it off taylor swift GIF

Cause simms is a expert on good qb play.

Burn

Got um

Thats gota sting

Can of corn and ill be fine.. Can of corn

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So right.   Wisdom from an Elder:  There reaches a point in life's journey that arguing slips away and one simply lets others be wrong.  I will likely be long gone before some on TR reach th

1. Yes we will get the answer. He either balls and gets extended or he’s gone.  2. The Seahawks. I mean, I get what you are trying to do in this thread, but comparing Mariota to Wilson is a

Notice that he didn't specify who.  He's obviously referring to Tannehill.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, patsplat said:

Remember that Rodgers practice story, the one where he'd pitch jump balls in practice to figure out which receivers will fight for the ball?

Throwing a quick well placed jump ball to the right players seems to be a missing from Mariota's game, and causes a huge gap in production.

God yes. I'm not big on the "Mariota is ruining Davis's career" narrative that is forming but one of Davis's best attributes is his ability to go up and get it through coverage, often making highlight catches to do it. Mariota hasn't taken advantage of that skill set and it's honestly going to waste right now.

16 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

The throw against Indy to Davis in 17 was great.  Mariota did a lot more of that prior to that season.  I was actually pretty shocked when I watched highlights from his first two years.  It absolutely explains his drop-off in the red zone.  

I remember a couple of plays which made me think, "Where the fuck has this guy been?".  They were coming after him aggressively in the backfield, and they basically had him dead to rights as he was trying to avoid them.  Suddenly, he  turns completely around and delivers the ball across the field to his RB who had absolutely nobody around him.  On another, some no named receiver had absolutely no separation in the middle of the field, but mariota rifled it in an area which cleared him of the defender and completely took him off guard, allowing the receiver to gain YAC. 

He doesn't have the best arm, but he flashed really good vision, timing, and spatial awareness which could overcome that and make him into a play maker.  But he's looked all sorts of uncomfortable over the past two years, which has seriously fucked with all of those things which made him look like he could be a franchise QB.  You see it some at the end of games.  But I think back to that walk off TD against the Saints.  He basically could have turned and walked away from the ensuing action and put a pair of shades on, he was so calm and confident at the time.  There's hardly been much of that bravado in his demeanor over the past two years, and it's clearly missed

It's why I still have some hope for his career. We've seen him be good. Something broke in him last year. He was rarely ever even 70% and he lost some confidence in his own ability to get it done so he started playing it even safer than usual. It's like the sprinter who recently comes back from a bad hamstring pull; even after he's "healthy" the possibility of recurrence is still in his head and he doesn't go full speed. I see it all the time and it happened to me a ton in HS/college.

My hope is that with renewed health and his back against the wall he finds the confidence to take those chances. 

Good critique BTW.

Edited by Mythos27

2 hours ago, 8MM said:

Simms- Marcus is an athlete who plays QB, not a QB who is an athlete.  shake it off taylor swift GIF

Honestly I think Chris Simms' take is lazy. I honestly don't think Mariota is that much of an "athlete."

He has straight-line speed, other than that he's a stationary passer.

Edited by big2033

1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

God yes. I'm not big on the "Mariota is ruining Davis's career" narrative that is forming but one of Davis's best attributes is his ability to go up and get it through coverage, often making highlight catches to do it. Mariota hasn't taken advantage of that skill set and it's honestly going to waste right now.

Davis has a huge catch radius.  AJB has a big catch radius.  I haven't seen enough to know about Humphries, but he's great at getting separation and catching passes.  Redundant, but this is the best group of pass catchers ever for the Titans.  They are on paper one of the best groups in the league.  

This is why a lot of people go so hard after Mariota.  We are fielding one of our best teams in years and are being predicted to miss the postseason because of one player.  It wouldn't matter who was at fault, RBs, WRs, HC, OC or QB.  Fans are going to be really hard on them and they shouldn't expect any less.

1 minute ago, Number9 said:

Davis has a huge catch radius.  AJB has a big catch radius.  I haven't seen enough to know about Humphries, but he's great at getting separation and catching passes.  Redundant, but this is the best group of pass catchers ever for the Titans.  They are on paper one of the best groups in the league.  

This is why a lot of people go so hard after Mariota.  We are fielding one of our best teams in years and are being predicted to miss the postseason because of one player.  It wouldn't matter who was at fault, RBs, WRs, HC, OC or QB.  Fans are going to be really hard on them and they shouldn't expect any less.

The one thing EVERYONE on this board agrees on is that this is Marcus's last shot. It's partly why people are getting sick of taking about it. Even if we all disagree on how we got to this point. We know it's now or never. Nothing to see here until the live bullets start flying in September.

13 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

The one thing EVERYONE on this board agrees on is that this is Marcus's last shot. It's partly why people are getting sick of taking about it. Even if we all disagree on how we got to this point. We know it's now or never. Nothing to see here until the live bullets start flying in September.

We've done just about everything that we can in order to give him a fair shot to prove himself.  Even keeping the fire lit under him to extract that fight that he displays in do or die situations.

If he doesn't play well next year , we can feel good about the decision to move on.  If he consistently plays with more fire, while showing that he can protect himself, I think that we feel good about extending him.  Because without diving too much into things, those are his biggest issues.  He has injury issues, but it's not like he's tearing his knees.  He just takes too many hits and gets banged up.  It affects his confidence more so than his ability to play.  He apparently played through injuries in college and that obviously didn't deter him too much, and he's put on some good performances in the NFL while injured.  But we'd obviously prefer to avoid that scenario from here on out

4 hours ago, JoelinBellevue said:

Did you watch the deep pass videos? We had several receivers running open underneath on most every play. If he had hit a few in stride it was a 10-15 yard play. He leaves a lot of yards on the field by not taking these shots.

If my understanding of MFL’s system is correct,  the QB isn’t scanning the field and looking to find open receiver;  he’s making specific pre-designated reads in a specific order.  

As Dan Orlovsky described the offense:  once the QB moves from one read to the next, there’s no going back to a previous read.    If the receiver is initially covered  but gets separation later in the route...it’s too late;  the QB had already moved to his next read and he’s looking elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, nine said:

If my understanding of MFL’s system is correct,  the QB isn’t scanning the field and looking to find open receiver;  he’s making specific pre-designated reads in a specific order.  

As Dan Orlovsky described the offense:  once the QB moves from one read to the next, there’s no going back to a previous read.    If the receiver is initially covered  but gets separation later in the route...it’s too late;  the QB had already moved to his next read and he’s looking elsewhere. 

This is true and part of what is difficult about learning this system.

Cosell broke down the AFC South QBs on 104.5 today, he saved Mariota for next week and will devote the entire interview to him. He said he watched everyone of his 3rd down drop backs and all his drop backs on 1st down. 

If I was a delusional Mariota fan I wouldn't listen next week. Cossel gave no indication of what he was going to say but I'd doubt it's anything good. 

BTW, I did enjoy listen to him talk about Eagle fans who called in to Philly stations talking about Foles. He basically said they were too stupid to understand Foles isn't in the same stratosphere as Wentz. Duurrrrr Foles won the SB

11 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Cosell broke down the AFC South QBs on 104.5 today, he saved Mariota for next week and will devote the entire interview to him. He said he watched everyone of his 3rd down drop backs and all his drop backs on 1st down. 

If I was a delusional Mariota fan I wouldn't listen next week. Cossel gave no indication of what he was going to say but I'd doubt it's anything good. 

BTW, I did enjoy listen to him talk about Eagle fans who called in to Philly stations talking about Foles. He basically said they were too stupid to understand Foles isn't in the same stratosphere as Wentz. Duurrrrr Foles won the SB

Seriously what about Wentz excites you so much? And I’m not singling you out, I’m really not. Because obviously your opinion is much more in the majority then mine.

But I see a guy whose numbers look tremendous but when you watch the games they don’t really equate to the offensive production you’d think they would. And that’s because he’s ridiculously conservative. For all the criticism Marcus takes about not letting receivers go get the ball, Wentz plays it much closer to the vest. On 3rd & say, 7-8+, he won’t try to fit a tight pass in for a 1st down, he’s much more likely to dump off to a TE or a back. Or run.

The guy obviously is a great athlete with great size. He makes a lot of big throws down the field when he escapes the pocket. And he’s been tremendous in the red zone. I’ll give him that, he’s been great in the RZ. But he’s not a natural thrower & he doesn’t pull the trigger on tough 3rd down throws down the field to keep drives going.  He keeps his picks down for sure & his completion% up but the teams punting.

There’s a reason the guys record was 5-6 last year & the team struggled to score 20 points a game.  And this is a stacked team. And then Foles comes in & puts up 32,30, and 24 against 3 good defenses to sneak into the playoffs. And everybody whose watching starts noticing that the offense is running smoother. So Cosell can make fun of who he wants. I hope he’s right cause Foles is in our division now. But stuff like this doesn’t come from nowhere. This is 2 years now the Eagles offense has flat looked better with Foles at QB then Wentz. And you’d be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks the Eagles win the Bowl in ‘16 had Wentz stayed healthy.

And BTW it’s not just fans. There was definitely some whispers from  Eagles offensive players that they liked Foles better. Yeah, it was squashed quickly, but there was absolutely legs to it.

The other problem with Wentz, and why I think the team struggled scoring with him last year, is how remedial the offense is with him. The staff clearly can’t run the more complex stuff they did with Foles, because Wentz just can’t make the progressions. It’s amazing how many play actions they run with Wentz, you can literally count on one hand how many times they let him drop back or take a shot gun snap & just throw. There’s always some type of play action, zone read, etc. They have to simplify things for him greatly.

39 minutes ago, Face said:

The other problem with Wentz, and why I think the team struggled scoring with him last year, is how remedial the offense is with him. The staff clearly can’t run the more complex stuff they did with Foles

You've got this completely backwards and Cosell went into detail about it. Wentz controls the entire offense and is asked to carry it. Foles had a scripted dumbed down offense with RPOs and predefined reads etc....

They wouldn't have let Foles go and paid Wentz if what you're saying was remotely true. 

Wentz got paid a year early for fear his success would lead to a much bigger contract next off season. Foles hit the open market after winning a SB and  a playoff game and had 1 bidder, signed for about 10 mill below the current QB and most thought the Jags overpaid. Don't be a Philly call in fan.