Compton and Lewan Interview Arthur Smith

Jonboy

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The most telling thing about this interview to me is Smith's trepidation and hesitation when asked about how much he learned from LaFleur. He started talking about how LaFleur has been in the same sys

Lol here is a great quote from Smith, talking about coaches that don't "understand or remember what plays look like through a facemask":    "Some coaches are so hard headed and fixed. One th

This podcast is already pretty amazing. Compton and Lewan are great at this. I'm actually surprised the Titans PR department is even allowing it, tbh.     

Posted Images

What vision did Vrabel have that wasn't aligned with LaFluer?  He's not Jeff Fisher.  He played with Tom Brady.  Prior to the season, he was vocal about his desire for Mariota to be more aggressive.  He seems to want to be aggressive in general, judging by his 4th down attempts.  Are people suggesting that he wanted a dinosaur offense after hiring an OC to get them away from one?  I don't understand

3 hours ago, tgo said:

To be clear, I'm not blaming LaFleur for the issues statistically and otherwise with the offense last year.  There was a natural learning curve going to the zone scheme, and obviously he had to deal with Mariota's struggles and the swath of injuries. Just pointing out that there was some friction there and that Smith has some mixed feelings about MLF. 

I have no doubt LaFleur was great with the x's and o's conceptually and schematically, but Smith may be better when it comes to individual matchups and flexibility and understanding the players' perspective and such. I do think that Smith will have the edge when it comes to intangible factors and preaching physicality over finessee, as this is a very emotionally intelligent group and probably more sensitive to certain factors when it comes to messaging. 

I didn't think you were doing that and I haven't seen anyone of note do this on this board. 

I like Smith's personality, his relationships with the core guys here (more than other coaches on this staff due to longevity), and the fact he's been in multiple systems to pull from.  He still has to do it but I think he'll rise up.

On 6/4/2019 at 10:03 AM, NashvilleNinja said:

You can tell within the first couple of minutes how different Smith is from LaFleur.

I guess being hardheaded and stuck in your ways isn't limited to just country bumpkin types like Robiskie. Educated, articulate-sounding folks can be just as stuck. Good luck with that in Green Bay, Matt.

Hopefully Smith will turn out to be a good cross between "bumpkin" and "educated".

Turron recently reported that Smith is an intense & detailed coach who has gotten on players for running proper routes & other fundamentals. So, given his approach plus his "flexible" mind-set...I think he will be everything we, as fans, expected from LaFleur and a whole lot more...

I listened to an interview with Jonnu Smith, and he mentioned how A Smith pushed and motivated him after struggling initially last year.  He's got the makeup to be a great coach.  I hope that he's good with the Xs and Os.

41 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Oman trying to create controversy where there is none. "See? Told ya the rubes would turn on ML. 'Everybody' knows what *the real problem* is."

Yeah... *silly people looking for a horse to kill so they can beat it like it's a dick.

I honestly think he is being serious when people think he's trolling most of the time.

I’ve said it before:  when a handful of isolated players struggle or play poorly, that’s on them.  But when an entire position group (or multiple groups) play poorly....that’s an indictment of the coaching.  

The offense was straight garbage for much of the 2018 season...especially before the bye week.  In weeks 1-7,  they were equally inconsistent/ineffective in both the run game and the passing game.  Things improved across the  post-bye...but for the first several weeks, not a single member of the offense played anywhere close to an acceptable level.  

We can blame the players all we want for a  lack of execution...but when every single member of the offense plays poorly, that speaks directly to the performance of the coaching staff .  

1 hour ago, nine said:

I’ve said it before:  when a handful of isolated players struggle or play poorly, that’s on them.  But when an entire position group (or multiple groups) play poorly....that’s an indictment of the coaching.  

The offense was straight garbage for much of the 2018 season...especially before the bye week.  In weeks 1-7,  they were equally inconsistent/ineffective in both the run game and the passing game.  Things improved across the  post-bye...but for the first several weeks, not a single member of the offense played anywhere close to an acceptable level.  

We can blame the players all we want for a  lack of execution...but when every single member of the offense plays poorly, that speaks directly to the performance of the coaching staff .  

Replace Vrabel?