Who Here Was Originally An Oilers Fan And Followed Them To Tennessee?

MIKE75

1 hour ago, kgsTitan said:

If I remember correctly, Moon dislocated his thumb in that game, and Cody Carlson came in and made an ass of himself.

Aw the Commander good times lol, he had arm though. He wasn't a great fit for the run and shoot IMO. Was it Berman who gave him that name?

Edited by Huston

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You don't need to ask this. Look for the most bitter, cynical posters. Not the angry ones. The ones who are kind of numb, and resolved to suck forever. Those are the fans that used to be Oiler fans an

He actually addressed the team before the season and told them the team would be dismantled regardless of what happened because of upcoming free agency and the salary cap.   Entering that se

Houston native. I'm still pissed at Lanier and Adams for letting the team move.

Not sure about where the nickname originated.  Carlson was a really good backup who could come in and win games but lasted a game in 1994 before getting hurt as the starter after trading Moon.  Could not take the NFL hits - he was tall and thin and retired after the season.

Anyone remember the 96 team?  They lost so many tough games.  They lost the opener to KC by I believe a point and had an early 10-0 lead I think.  They lost a 1 point game at home to SF in a game in which they knocked out Steve Young.  They lost a game in which what could have been a game-winning FG instead was blocked and returned for the game-winning TD with no time left.  They blew a double digit lead at home against a mediocre Miami team.  

And when you consider the fact that the 9-7 Jaguars got to the AFC Championship game, who knows how far the Oilers could have gotten had they just won 2 of those games and didn't lose any of the games they won.

Edited by scine09

4 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Not sure about where the nickname originated.  Carlson was a really good backup who could come in and win games but lasted a game in 1994 before getting hurt as the starter after trading Moon.  Could not take the NFL hits - he was tall and thin and retired after the season.

Yep he would have been much better in a system that didn't rely on the QB as much.

I was born and raised in Nashville. But spent all my summers in Houston and Brenham with family. When I was old enough to know what football was I naturally followed the Oilers and all Houston sports. When the Oilers announced they were moving I was very upset.

I remember actually getting to talk to Bud Adams when he attended the first training camp in Nashville at TSU...  I told him I was very upset, and not happy with the fact that the team moved and was changing their name and etc... He looked me in the eyes and said to me "You know where the Oilers live?" I said where... He pointed at his heart and said "no matter what name this team has, they will always be the Oilers to me." 

And here I am and will always be. 

2 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Anyone remember the 96 team?  They lost so many tough games.  They lost the opener to KC by I believe a point and had an early 10-0 lead I think.  They lost a 1 point game at home to SF in a game in which they knocked out Steve Young.  They lost a game in which what could have been a game-winning FG instead was blocked and returned for the game-winning TD with no time left.  They blew a double digit lead at home against a mediocre Miami team.  

And when you consider the fact that the 9-7 Jaguars got to the AFC Championship game, who knows how far the Oilers could have gotten had they just won 2 of those games and didn't lose any of the games they won.

I was at the game where Seattle returned the Del Greco blocked GW FG all the way for a TD with no time left!   

They went 2-6 at "home" which of course was empty because they were moving.

Just now, BudAdams said:

I was at the game where Seattle returned the Del Greco blocked GW FG all the way for a TD with no time left!   

They went 2-6 at "home" which of course was empty because they were moving.

I seem to remember them selling out the Pittsburgh game.  Of course there were probably a bunch of Steelers fans there.

Been a fan since the AFL awarded the franchise in 1959.  Heart breaking to see them leave but I've stayed with them though I came very close to dropping them year before last.  Guess I'll hang on a few more years.

I wanted to say something about Memphis before I forget the incident.  In the early sixties, the St Louis Cardinals promised the city that if they sold x number of season tickets they would move there.  Memphis got the required number of pledges in no time flat.  Then St Louis backed out.  Pretty shitty if you ask me.

In 1989, I think,I won a football pool because I picked Houston over Washington. It was the game I think that Robert Brazile levelled Joe Theismann. Been a fan ever since, not looking back and no second team!!

DCTitan

I have been an Oilers fan since I was born in Houston in 1975. I now live in Portland, Oregon. My team is my team and that will never change.

Fun story: at happy hour last week a guy was walking past my table as I said to my friend, "I was raised as an Oilers fan." The guy stopped in his tracks and said WHAT?!?!?! We talk for a few minutes and discover that we went to the same elementary school and he was in my sister's class. All because he heard me say I a was raised as an Oilers fan. 

6 hours ago, Tex in a Can said:

you need to drop by my tail gate on Dec. 29th!

I wish. I just took a new job a few months ago and moved out of state. This year will be tailgating to Sunday ticket at our new house. We plan on going to a game next season

5 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Belichick is on record saying the 1993 Oilers were one of the best teams he ever coached against. 

I believe he said most "talented team", which is way different than best

10 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I believe he said most "talented team", which is way different than best

Just ask that freckled face Portuguese idiot on Sunday Night Football the difference between talented team and best team. BTW OMan, there should be a funny ass tard dance going on tonight. 

The 92 team was likely better than the other Oiler teams back in those days. By 93 the offense really sucked. The 93 team obviously had the great defense but injuries killed them. The 1992 team still had a really good defense and the offense was much better than the 93 team. 

Those teams always had terrible STs and were always poory coached too