Democratic Nomination for 2020 - UPDATED to include those who have officially announced

Legaltitan

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amigo, there has to be a transition that isn’t strictly Medicare for All, regardless of how the bill is written. I’ve supported Medicare for All for a long time now. I still support it. When speaking

I know some people don't want to hear it, but it's going to be Bernie and if it is, he's gonna win. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

I keep hearing people say Beto is too far left, but what am I missing? He is certainly unapologetically left of center, but you look at his stance on the issues and nothing jumps out to me. All seems pretty standard stuff: banning assault rifles and high-capacity magazines is probably the most left one, but that's a fairly mainstream position. He's for a public option, and while not opposed to single payer is not making that a cornerstone of his position on healthcare. So certainly left of Bernie there. He's not a hard core environmentalist. Honestly I haven't looked enough at his policy positions, but he seems cut from a similar cloth, policywise, as Obama.

I think with alot of things, too, it's all about packaging. Bernie was the most left of center person in a long time that had a legit shot at being President, yet many didn't see him that way because he was a pretty pragmatic and plain spoken guy. I think usually folks that are too left to win nationally are doomed because they just seem like everyone's idea of an out of touch leftist. Like a Warren, or like John Kerry was. Personality matters. Arguably, it matter more than anything. And with Beto being certainly way right of Bernie, and having a nice personality and the ability to speak plainly to folks, I just don't see him having any problem at all connecting.

Read the Politico Magazine piece on Beto and how he blew a golden opportunity by going all-in on extreme (for Texas) positions rather than making an appeal to moderates that hate Cruz. Immigration is a core issue here, and abolishing ICE is not what voters outside of Houston, Austin, and Dallas want to hear.

One thing to keep in mind...there is a MASSIVE anti-Cruz vote in Texas, regardless of who's running against him. Last time Cruz ran, his opponent had zero name recognition and only spent $700,000. Beto spent over $70,000,000(!) and only did 3 points better than the previous guy!!!

Edited by kgsTitan

15 minutes ago, GOAT9 said:

Biden is the only one I would consider turning to . I wish Democrats would have at least let Jim Webb speak. I was interested in what his ideas were but they never gave him a chance. 

I like Jim Webb a lot. And he was my uncle's company commander in Vietnam

57 minutes ago, kgsTitan said:

Read the Politico Magazine piece on Beto and how he blew a golden opportunity by going all-in on extreme (for Texas) positions rather than making an appeal to moderates that hate Cruz. Immigration is a core issue here, and abolishing ICE is not what voters outside of Houston, Austin, and Dallas want to hear.

One thing to keep in mind...there is a MASSIVE anti-Cruz vote in Texas, regardless of who's running against him. Last time Cruz ran, his opponent had zero name recognition and only spent $700,000. Beto spent over $70,000,000(!) and only did 3 points better than the previous guy!!!

It felt like as time went on in that race that Beto was speaking to the public at large and not Texas voters. That’s just my opinion of course as an outsider. He still almost won a senate seat in a pure red state. He now has a ton of national appeal and following. He needs to temp down his rhetoric on the 2nd Amendment if he’s going to have any shot nationally. Seems like a genuinely good guy though. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

3 hours ago, tgo said:

Biden. 

I think Biden would win. I'd certainly vote for him. Of course, I'd vote for anyone over Trump, but I'd like voting for Biden. 

I have no clue why anyone would think Beto would win a national race. Democrats need to make a big tent. "Progressives" are incredibly fickle. Put someone on the ticket who holds up a lot of traditional Democratic values and can win over the working class.

14 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

I think Biden would win. I'd certainly vote for him. Of course, I'd vote for anyone over Trump, but I'd like voting for Biden. 

I have no clue why anyone would think Beto would win a national race. Democrats need to make a big tent. "Progressives" are incredibly fickle. Put someone on the ticket who holds up a lot of traditional Democratic values and can win over the working class.

Yep, unfortunately cant just win by catering to educated young white folks and minorities. 

Have to get the blue collar and senior votes too. 

9 minutes ago, TitansFan23 said:

I’d be willing to bet Hillary still has a notion in the back of her mind to make a run again. Democrats better not let that happen.

No doubt. Her advisors are nudging her to unfortunately. 

I like Beto.  people are saying "If he can't beat, Cruz, he can't win the presidency?"  But it reminds me of Lincoln/Douglas.  The more prominent incumbent (Douglas) won the Illinois senatorial contest in 1858, but Lincoln got his name out there and won the presidency two years later.

Hillary is absolutely running again. 

The Dems are in a bind for 2020 because ALL of the energy will be behind the least electable candidates. The left is in no mood for a compromise candidate after the Hillary/Bernie debacle, and whoever they want will have no chance.  They would nominate a Ocasio-Cortez/Beto ticket if it was today.

They're general election awareness is not very good.

Edited by kgsTitan