Jump to content
Legaltitan

Democratic Nomination for 2020 - UPDATED to include those who have officially announced

Recommended Posts

 

Warren isn't going anywhere. I like her, but she has very high negatives and seems to be hiring Hillary people.

 

Booker is a phony. He makes a good Senate attack dog but I don't see him getting the nomination.

 

Biden is too old and damages goods. Hard pass.

 

I like Harris, but I don't think she has the national recognition or chops. But she probably has a good chance. Korblacher or whatever from Minnesota, similar position.

 

I have no idea if they have a shot, but I like the what I see on paper from the Democratic Governor from Montana alot, and like Hickenlooper alot. Those are pragmatic guys that can appeal to the center, but they are not just weak-kneed Republican-lite type guys. And they know how to win in flyover country.

 

A dark horse I always talk about and get laughed at for is Mitch Landrieu. Another plain-spoken pragmatist.

 

Beto O'Rourke has caught fire, has big name recognition, and shows he can raise money. Oh and he is a pretty cool dude and drives Cruz crazy.

 

I am not a Bernie guy, although I get the appeal, but it is hard to not see him as a favorite right now.  He will have the money and nationwide organization,  he certainly now has the name recognition and more than one Trump voter has said they would have rather voted for Bernie. 

 

Who ya got? Please respond with a list of people you think have a great chance, and a list of people who you would like to see get the nomination (two different lists for me).

 

Official:

Julian Castro

Tulsi Gabbard

Joe Delaney

Kamala Harris

Elizabeth Warren

Pete Buttigieg

Corey Booker

Jay Inslee

 

Have all but officially announced/formed exploratory committees/hired campaign staff:

Eric Swalwell

Kristen Gillibrand

Bernie Sanders

Steve Bullock

 

Likely Candidates

Joe Biden

Beto O'Rourke

Amy Klobuchar

John Hickenlooper

Sherrod Brown

 

Other Possible Candidates: 

Hillary Clinton

John Kerry

Andrew Gillum

Jeff Merkley

Mitch Landrieu

Stacey Abrams

Terry McAuliffe

Eric Holder

Michael Bloomberg

Michael Bennett

 

Unlikely or Declined: 

Tom Steyer

Tim Kaine

Michelle Obama

Chris Murphy

Michael Avenatti

Deval Patrick

Andrew Cuomo

Martin O'Malley

Oprah Winfrey

Eric Garcetti

Richard Ojeda

Edited by Legaltitan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep hearing people say Beto is too far left, but what am I missing? He is certainly unapologetically left of center, but you look at his stance on the issues and nothing jumps out to me. All seems pretty standard stuff: banning assault rifles and high-capacity magazines is probably the most left one, but that's a fairly mainstream position. He's for a public option, and while not opposed to single payer is not making that a cornerstone of his position on healthcare. So certainly left of Bernie there. He's not a hard core environmentalist. Honestly I haven't looked enough at his policy positions, but he seems cut from a similar cloth, policywise, as Obama.

 

I think with alot of things, too, it's all about packaging. Bernie was the most left of center person in a long time that had a legit shot at being President, yet many didn't see him that way because he was a pretty pragmatic and plain spoken guy. I think usually folks that are too left to win nationally are doomed because they just seem like everyone's idea of an out of touch leftist. Like a Warren, or like John Kerry was. Personality matters. Arguably, it matter more than anything. And with Beto being certainly way right of Bernie, and having a nice personality and the ability to speak plainly to folks, I just don't see him having any problem at all connecting.

 

 

Edited by Legaltitan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
20 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

I keep hearing people say Beto is too far left, but what am I missing? He is certainly unapologetically left of center, but you look at his stance on the issues and nothing jumps out to me. All seems pretty standard stuff: banning assault rifles and high-capacity magazines is probably the most left one, but that's a fairly mainstream position. He's for a public option, and while not opposed to single payer is not making that a cornerstone of his position on healthcare. So certainly left of Bernie there. He's not a hard core environmentalist. Honestly I haven't looked enough at his policy positions, but he seems cut from a similar cloth, policywise, as Obama.

 

I think with alot of things, too, it's all about packaging. Bernie was the most left of center person in a long time that had a legit shot at being President, yet many didn't see him that way because he was a pretty pragmatic and plain spoken guy. I think usually folks that are too left to win nationally are doomed because they just seem like everyone's idea of an out of touch leftist. Like a Warren, or like John Kerry was. Personality matters. Arguably, it matter more than anything. And with Beto being certainly way right of Bernie, and having a nice personality and the ability to speak plainly to folks, I just don't see him having any problem at all connecting.

 

 

Bernie is literally a Democratic-Socialist. 

 

Can you imagine the field day they'd have? He's also even more ancient than Biden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 Nines   

Michigan governor-elect, Gretchen Whitmer is getting a lot of attention for how well she ran her campaign.  Her focus as governor will be on rebuilding Michigan's schools (ruined be Betsy Devos's charter system in Michigan), roads and water system.  

 

She has appeal to Midwesterners which is where the 2020 electoral college fight might be.  So if she makes good progress on those issues in Michigan, she might have enough appeal. 

Edited by 9 Nines

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, tgo said:

Bernie is literally a Democratic-Socialist. 

 

Can you imagine the field day they'd have? He's also even more ancient than Biden

He listen you're preaching to the choir here, I'm not a Bernie guy, but yet there are many people who voted for Trump who said they would have voted for Bernie. Until I see evidence otherwise, gotta consider him the early frontrunner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
Just now, Legaltitan said:

He listen you're preaching to the choir here, I'm not a Bernie guy, but yet there are many people who voted for Trump who said they would have voted for Bernie. Until I see evidence otherwise, gotta consider him the early frontrunner.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-2020-biden/joe-biden-leads-potential-2020-democratic-field-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKCN1NC0P1

 

From last night. 

 

"Biden received 29 percent of the support.

Senator Bernie Sanders, an independent who made an unsuccessful run for the Democratic nomination in 2016, finished second in the hypothetical field with 22 percent. The rest of the poll was tied between Senators Cory Booker of New Jersey, Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Kamala Harris of California."

 

Obviously it's incredibly early and things could and will change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a name recognition poll only, but fair point.

 

Biden has tried to get the nomination before and failed, and now his best days are behind him. 2016 was his time, but his son died so sometimes that's the way things go, and certainly it was the right call to not run at that time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
Just now, Legaltitan said:

That's a name recognition poll only, but fair point.

 

Biden has tried to get the nomination before and failed, and now his best days are behind him. 2016 was his time, but his son died so sometimes that's the way things go, and certainly it was the right call to not run at that time.

 

I think he can pull the union vote and run on a "return to normalcy and calm" platform. Grandpa Joe and all that. Decades of experience. He may be gaffe prone and grabby but running against Trump cancels this out in terms of a general election. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ctm   

Don't even want to think about it.  The process will sort out the pretenders from the contenders and besides, I want to hear what they have to say and how they perform under pressure.

 

But in general I prefer someone new.  Hillary is an absolute no and both Bernie and Biden would have a high bar to cross for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ctm   
31 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

That's a name recognition poll only, but fair point.

 

Biden has tried to get the nomination before and failed, and now his best days are behind him. 2016 was his time, but his son died so sometimes that's the way things go, and certainly it was the right call to not run at that time.

 

Biden enabled Clarence Thomas.  A lot of democratic women know this and if they don't now, it will come out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ctm   
1 hour ago, 9 Nines said:

Michigan governor-elect, Gretchen Whitmer is getting a lot of attention for how well she ran her campaign.  Her focus as governor will be on rebuilding Michigan's schools (ruined be Betsy Devos's charter system in Michigan), roads and water system.  

 

She has appeal to Midwesterners which is where the 2020 electoral college fight might be.  So if she makes good progress on those issues in Michigan, she might have enough appeal. 

She'd have to start running in about 8 months.  As a newly elected, first term governor, I don't think that works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...