Now that Rang has ranked Howard #7...

GLinks

Is he worth taking at 5, or top 10 for you if the Titans trade down?

I'm starting to wonder. NFL.com has him rated above Williams, Davis and Ross.

He's 6'6", 251 lbs and ran a 4.51. I tend to forget that part. He can be the jump ball guy anywhere, though I like Williams for that ability, I admit. I'm revisiting this, taking Howard high (I've been here once before), but now Rob Rang, and surely others, are moving him up. For our offense, maybe he is.

Because I see those 3 WRs maybe gone before pick 18, if he can really be our slot guy/Edelman/Welker, I can see McCaffery being the slot and CoP RB when Murray is eventually gone, and even now, plus STs.

I do like Hasaan Reddick, Peppers, Lattimore, and some DL guys I'm not sure make it to us, Barnett, too, but if they went all O in round 1, Howard and McCaffery are probably our safest picks that continue the philosophy Mularkey set forth. 

Both may be slight reaches at those spots, but I think they are perfect John Robinson-Titans picks.

We could then land CB and WR, etc. in 3 -- Sidney Jones, perhaps, Sutton, Juju Smith-Schuster, Jourdan, Kupp, Samuel Jones, Westbrook, etc. or a TE if we go defense up top.

But with so much uncertainty, I'm sure we could say we could draft those two, get them, and still upgrade our offense.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I seriously question anyone who compares OJ Howard to Jared Cook primarily because I question anyone who says OJ Howard is anything less than a decent blocker. I realize Lance Zierlein said that on hi

Better to get the guy you want and the guy that fits, than someone who is a better perceived value who is neither. It's possible that there is an equally good fit at #5 or thereabouts for the Titans,

I think he should be our first offensive option at 5.  Multiple draft gurus have bumped him up into the top 10. He fits what Mularkey wants to do like a damned glove.

He is one of the best receivers in the draft who also happens to be a very effective blocker. That's rare... Even past elite TEs have been receivers who could develop into good blockers. Howard is both right now.

He'll go top 10, so if we want him, we have to take him at 5. I do agree with many on here in that if he's good enough to take at 9 or 10, he's good enough to take at 5, depending on who else is available.

He's an option at 5, but I still think he's not our first option. 

4 minutes ago, siamesedinasour said:

He is one of the best receivers in the draft who also happens to be a very effective blocker. That's rare... Even past elite TEs have been receivers who could develop into good blockers. Howard is both right now.

He'll go top 10, so if we want him, we have to take him at 5. I do agree with many on here in that if he's good enough to take at 9 or 10, he's good enough to take at 5, depending on who else is available.

He's an option at 5, but I still think he's not our first option. 

I think he should be our first offensive option at 5.  Multiple draft gurus have bumped him up into the top 10.

He fits what Mularkey wants to do like a damned glove.

Funny how excited people are at the prospect of taking a WR high in the draft.  Does Noone here remember our success rate at drafting WRs?  As soon as they bust  everyone curses that we took a WR.   Maybe Jrob can't break the curse, but I'm not so certain. 

I say bulk up the D. Marcus will do well with anyone that can catch a Damn  ball. 

For the pundits, I think Lattimore makes the most sense. We got Logan Ryan and Cyprien. We have Byard presumably entrenched. Sims could start, but Lattimore would be the presumed starter.

We could be confident in starting Sims or McCourty and getting someone later to compete with them.

But who knows what front 7 guy will be there and fits JRobs mold and criteria?

TE, WR and slot seem like the most obvious needs, and I'll put ILB up there, too. Foster, Reddick and Davis are those guys I see the most. 

But who is rarer and fills the biggest need now and in the future? That's the question to me, and there is no answer I can say is right, right now.

Edited by GLinks

7 minutes ago, Cam. said:

Didn't Vernon Davis go #6? Also, would Gronk have went Top 5 in a redraft? 

Gronk might, but would Vernon Davis? Also, I'm sure Davis and Gronk both scored more than 3 tds the final year they played CF. I like Howard, but I do not want to spend the 5th pick on a guy who played in an offense that didn't showcase him in college at a position where we have Delanie. We need to go WR if we go offense at 5. 

Lattimore makes more sense than S on paper obviously, but some rank him inside the top 5, and others are dropping him.

If we got him, I'd say the secondary is "fixed," but we're pretty much down about 5 skill positions on offense, a couple of whom contributed TDs. No one we have now is filling that void for sure.

2 minutes ago, GLinks said:

Eh, it's not his fault Bama didn't showcase him. 

This team needs to load the next TE like it did RB. 

Let the receivers eat cake. Let the big boys have the meat.

I'll add that the tape shows that it was more Bama underusing him than it was his lack of production. He blocks well and he can get open and make catches. He runs good routes, he has good hands, he has good speed.

He had some bad QBs, great RBs and WRs, and a coordinator who didn't seem to know how to utilize him... Except in one game, in which he churned out arguably the best performance ever by a TE in CFB.