Ruston Webster: The Fool or The Victim?

Jonboy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is often said that a leader is only as good as those around him. As the Executive Vice President and General Manager of the Tennessee Titans, Ruston Webster is undoubtedly the leader of the franchi

I've vacillated a lot on what I think of Webster. On one hand I think he's generally made reasonable decisions and good risks while being put in a bad situation (no quarterback, depleted roster, misma

Good one Jonboy   After the 2011 season Webster said that everyone in the room(front office minus Munchak were in the room) knew the problem with CJ and he was 100% blameless, then in 2012 I know Mu

Good one Jonboy

After the 2011 season Webster said that everyone in the room(front office minus Munchak were in the room) knew the problem with CJ and he was 100% blameless, then in 2012 I know Munchak wanted CJ cut and Webster said no.

I vote "The fool"

BTW, I thought Webster totally embarrassed himself and should have been fired

But I'm pretty much on board with their plan this off season, which I believe the coaches had an influence in as you noted.

I really don't want to give you a tldr b/c of all the work you put in but geez..... I'll try to chip away at reading it as the day goes by  :D

It started as but a mere post...that quickly ballooned into this beast. I thought about dividing it up into segments for separate articles, but ehhh. It's the offseason. Folks can read at their own pace I suppose. 

Ahmad Hall was actually with the team long before 2011.

True. But he was an unrestricted FA in 2011, which actually ended up being his final year with the team. I suppose I should update since he technically shouldn't be in the "panned out" category. 

The specific picks and signings are a lottery. That's why you can look at any long term GM and point to massive failures and successes and big up and downs while his ability stayed constant. What''s more important and telling of the GM's performance is the overall philosophy behind the decisions. 

If Johnson had maintained his early pace after the big contract...If Hrtch had earned that money...If Levitre made the Pro Bowl last year...If Warmack would have looked like a world beater...etc, etc....

None of that would have validated the decisions in my mind. It just would have been him getting lucky. Winning the lottery. It' stupid to be allocating your resources this way. 

OTOH - if they would have made Johnson play out his contract and he was gaining 3000 yards per year for some other team and we were spending our FA $ on playmakers and guys who can stop big plays and were maintaining the Oline through savvy B level signings and mid round picks....and it  all turned into 0-16, I would be fine with Webster. I would know he is just getting unlucky and if he maintains the smart strategies things would turn for him. 

I have never criticized Webster for the Locker pick. It's clear the talent is/was there. He just got unlucky with the injuries although I guess you could blame him some for not putting enough of the right players around him.  

I think the Chris Johnson and Webster stuff was overblown too. There's no doubt that CJ wasn't living up to his contract and the Titans needed to replace him. However they had the cap space and no real in-house replacement. I think they felt like they had more options with him than without him. It's on the coaching staff to use him how they wanted to and I don't believe for one second that Webster dictated how many snaps he would get or how he would be used.

There’s little doubt Webster was well-qualified when hired by the Titans in 2010 as Vice President of Player Personnel under – then general manager – Mike Reinfeldt. Webster got his start in the NFL with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as a Regional Scout back in 1988. He remained with the organization for more than 15 years and served in a number of capacities, working his way through the ranks to Director of Player Personnel. 

Tampa Bay Buccaneer record 1988 - 2005: 

131 - 157

Winning %:  45.5%

He made the jump to Seattle in 2006 as their Vice President of Player Personnel, 

Seattle Seahawks Record 2006-2009:

28 - 36

Winning %: 43.8%

where he remained until joining the Titans in 2010 under the same title. In 2012, he was promoted to General Manager

Titans record 2010-2013:

28-36 (no, not a mistaken copy from above)

Winning %: 43.8%

Wow, he's been remarkably consistent over a 27 year career. I now understand why we had to wash away the mediocrity that was Fisher in lieu of this massive winner!

I was only able to skim through it, I'll read in full tonight but looked like good stuff Jonboy. This is a huge year for Webster, because some of his picks have started off on fire only to disappear after one year. Cyrus, maybe you can answer me this, is it odd to see Brown & Martin play so well as rookies & then both just literally disappear by the halfway point of their sophmore season? To me thats alarming. Both of them? They were going to be 2 of our building blocks & I think there's a good chance they were coached terribly. I was watching the documentary on NFLN about the '04 draft & Belichick & his OL coach, who had Robert Gallery in his last year I believe, were on video at a practice talking about Gallery & how horribly he was coached in Oakland. The OL coach said he should have been a multi year all pro but he just never developed, though he had some success at guard. This stuff happens.

The Warmack pick is worrying me though. Sometimes you see a rookie who struggles but you clearly see ability. I didn't see that with Warmack, I can't recall many dominant blocks where he just moved the line but I sure can recall alot of blocks where he was just stood up & moved back into the QB by average DT's. As for Brown, I'm a huge fan of his, he won me over in 2012 with some electric plays but now it's looking like a huge blunder passing on Lavonte David & thats what worries me, it really should have been clear as day that David was the guy at LB. He was just such a great player in college & wasn't THAT big of a dropoff athletically from Brown. It's tough to stomach that we could, and really should, have Sheldon Richardson & David on this D. But I'm with OMan, I loved this offseason, and maybe having a good staff thats clear about what it's looking to accomplish could make all the difference.

Good stuff Jonboy.

I think it's probably a little premature to really place any credit or blame regarding the Warmack pick.  We still don't know about what we have there.  I was one of his biggest critics last year, but this wouldn't be the first time a player struggled in his first year.

I'm a big Webster supporter.  To me, you want a GM who has a clear ethos, and then executes with that in mind.  I think during his tenure there were times early on where he didn't have total control.  There's speculation there.  Regardless, it is clear to me that he's had control these past two years.  In those years, the takeaway was - we're going to be stout running between the tackles that relies on vertical shots through play action.  Everything filters through the run game.  Defensively, we want a big front, with athletic linebackers to allow versatility in the modern NFL.  

I also think there was a huge rift between Webster and the coaching staff last year after Locker got injured.  Right or wrong, the staff got away from the downhill rushing attack, and moved towards a scheme with more spread tendencies.  There's clearly a disconnect.  I think this led to the ultimatum that Loggains had to be fired by Munchak, which he wouldn't do.

Webster's philosophy continued this offseason with his coaching hires, FA additions, and players drafted.  Fans remember Whiz as a pass happy coach in Arizona, but I think a lot of that was circumstantial.  His first two years in Pittsburgh they led the league in rushing percentage (20th the year before he got there).  Last year, San Diego was 7th in rushing percentage.

Anyhow, time will tell.  Like most GMs, his success will largely be defined by how well he can stabilize the quarterback position.

The jury is def still out, need to see how the players respond to quality coaching. It has been bad for the last several years.

The big thing in my mind was that Whiz was thought to be going to the Lions...it was a done deal according to all the NFL reporters, but Whiz decided to come to a team with less talent, mostly because of Webster, and prob a little to do with Tommie Smith as well. They convinced him this was a better situation...

Nice write up JB, that was very solid.

Can any GM, coach, truly know what they are getting when they draft and deal in FA?   What a kid did in college doesn't always translate to the Big Time. How would anyone know that?  How does one know that a QB/other great player is going to break bones the first game of the season?  Does the players have a dark side that no one could predict? Who knows if/how the kid will adjust to living and playing far away from his bros? (see Britt).  Like someone said above, the whole picking system is a crap shoot.  What you think you know may or may not be the truth about these players. 

I think Webster did a decent job picking. And doesn't the coach have a big say in who is drafted?  I really don't think Webster can be blamed altogether if the players don't pan out.