Virus in US

pat

His NYC homies have been blasting Trump. With what they're going through there in the city, they’re just sick of Trump’s bullshit:

Howard Stern is calling President Trump's boasting about his coronavirus briefing ratings "mind-boggling," saying the reason so many viewers are tuning in is because Americans are "scared shitless."

"Do I pull my hair out of my head when I see my buddy Donald Trump standing there talking about how can people not look at his ratings and his ratings are higher than 'The Bachelor?'" the SiriusXM host said on his eponymous show Tuesday, adding that "the reason his ratings are higher" is "because people are scared shitless."

"It's not your incredible reality TV show that you're putting on for the country," Stern said of Trump, who as a New York real estate developer was a frequent guest on his radio show. "It's because we're in crisis and we're tuning in to see what the president has to say. We're looking for leadership, motherf---ers!"

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the damndest thing....  Trump supporters making fun of Biden's mental status.    Seriously.  

MERS killed 866 people worldwide. Again, basic math.   Btw, in an entire year, the flu kills 3,500 - 15,500 in the US. They suspect some cases aren't identified and so they estimate up to 61

Posted Images

189k today.  About 25k more than last night.  We have crept up to a 2.1% mortality rate compared to known infections.  25 states with 1000+ cases.  Make it 26 since Alabama has 999.  

On 3/28/2020 at 8:11 PM, Denali said:

That being said, let's look at what the formula predicts if the death rate ends up being unchanged (either because not enough was done to mitigate it, or even with mitigation, it remained unchanged anyway).

image.thumb.png.09c3b621acaf23970c1d4cf8b23957ce.png

image.png.cc06d52b790e3088971f5665a643e7c7.png

As I said, absolutely devastating.

So, after the first 4 days, the number of actual deaths is still unfortunately following my formula.

My formula predicted 3928 deaths, and the actual number is 4084 ( https://infection2020.com/ )

This thing is not letting up.

Nothing more to say.  Look at the chart going forward.

Edited by Denali

8 minutes ago, Denali said:

So, after the first 4 days, the number of actual deaths is still unfortunately following my formula.

My formula predicted 3928 deaths, and the actual number is 4084 ( https://infection2020.com/ )

This thing is not letting up.

Nothing more to say.  Look at the chart going forward.

As a bit of good news, CO's numbers of new infections has lessened.  CO implemented tough policies early and it appears we are reaching a plateau with new cases.

I'm sure we still get many more, but for now, it's hopeful distancing policies and people willing to participate are having an effect.  

That said, I think we have a state with a higher than average mortality rate and my county is at just over 2%...largely because we have a higher average older population and an old folks hangout (bridge club) got hit.  

Point being if we slow the infection rate, whatever formula we use for mortality rate, we slow that as well.  That might ultimately be only a slowing down and we still have a lot of deaths, but the only path is to try and slow the infection rate so hopefully we don't lose those that can survive with proper treatment.

I haven't really heard anything reported in the US about it, but the UK seems to have a string of young deaths - 21, 19, and 13, at least the latter of which the family apparently had no knowledge of any prior health conditions. Pretty sure they said that about at least one of those others too.

It's inevitable there will be outliers but I hadn't really heard much on this outside of the UK.

Italy looks like it's past the worst of it. This is NEW cases, not TOTAL cases.

This is NEW deaths by country and then region

This here is TOTAL deaths.

Edited by Titans279

"Past the worst of it" seems like a dangerous assumption. I think in some societies, once things start looking better, there could be a rebound of cases as people start to relax - China is perhaps a poor model to follow, as their control over population and culture is not really similar to many other countries currently in the earlier stages of all this, so what's happening there may not be that useful for most countries. Assuming China can keep it under control from here on out, they can probably come out really strong globally. Perhaps the catalyst for their next phase in the world economy.

They keep saying months, but I don't know how life can return to close to normal until a vaccine is developed and widely available, not in the big cities and economic hubs anyway. I think some winding back on restrictions can probably happen without causing further mass out breaks, but it will be really hard to find the balance. The problem is the 10-14 day feedback loop - long enough to make winding back measures extremely difficult to conduct. Some countries may wait until it is 99% safe (widely available successful vaccine).

I'm part amazed the world's economies can face such devastation and a vaccine can't happen "overnight" to save it (this is the best possible motivation in today's world), and part amazed we are able as a species to make vaccines at all. It's a strange combination.

Edited by OzTitan