Rishard Matthews on Mariota/Tannehill

TerryBoats

58 minutes ago, scine09 said:

There's no right or wrong.  There never has been.

He's played poorly this year.  And I've admitted that.  As others have said, you're rewriting history on a lot of this.

See @Titans279

... and let the assaults continue. 

Edited by big2033

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I couldn't care less about Mariota/Tannehill, whatever.  I want the Titans to win.  But what this is, to me at least, a bully mentality against this guy.  I think this goes deeper than just production

Add him to Demarco Murray and Eric Decker who thought has lack of fire was an issue.    I’m not sure any other NFL city would have fallen in love (that’s what it is for a lot of people) with Ma

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

What QBs did you think were worth top 5 picks in the past (at the time)?

How far back do you want to go?

Elway for sure.  I was in favor of the McNair pick back in the day.  Peyton.  Bledsoe, Ryan.  Luck.  Some years I was more into it than others but we all know NFL teams generally do a horrid job at evaluating QB's as they tend to favor measureables over things like accuracy, football QB instincts, pocket poise.

Guys like Montana, Brady,  Brees, and Wilson all had everything one wants in hindsight but were not 1st rounders because of measureables.  Measureables that clearly don't hinder the ability to play QB at a high level.

I know drafting guys like VY, Locker, and Mariota is a recipe for failure.

2 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Do you ever have a post that isn’t complaining about what other people post on TR?  

Thankful that hat we want have to watch horrid QB play from him and the inevitable excuses from the Tard Army for at least a week!

Actually, I do! I have quite a few. I’m pretty well-rounded in my posting. 

I will say I’m super proud of you for only mentioning QB play as opposed to his name. I know it’s real hard, but you’re making progress!

58 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Then we are destined to deal with assaults for a long time. Because all that shit, especially the shitty stadium hot dogs, is the primary culprit in Mariota's inconsistencies and failures. But you and those two can go on sticking heads up butts and pretend like it didn't happen.

I can't say whether Mariota will recover from the Titans or not because this was a hell of a wretched place to start a career, but he's got a great work ethic and tools to do so. And the next time around he'll have somewhat of a say in which team he goes to. It's just too bad 2015/2016 Mariota couldn't have been drafted by this team.

Good god.  This is the classic response from fan boys of every NFL QB bust.  They ruined him with bad players and coaches....It actually goes back as far as Archie Manning with the Saints!  If only he'd have gone to the Steelers, he'd have won 5 Super Bowls!

What great work ethic and skills?  Read up on guys like Brady, Peyton, Wilson, and even Deshaun Watson about how hard they work.  All we get is that Mariota went home to play with his dogs and play video games with his BFF.  Great tools?  His arm is average?  Pocket presence is poor.  Accuracy average.  Anticipatory throws below average. 

He's not going to some other team to start.  He could end up with a Tannehill like situation somewhere but this idea that a third of the league would drop their starter for him or that he is going to get the Titans some high comp pick is laughable at this point assuming he doesn't play another down here.

45 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

To me, he's never been the same in terms of being aggressive since that 4 pick game.  As for arm strength, I think his mechanics and trying to aim it to be safe affect his velocity on a lot of throws.  Still, he threw deep balls and some tight window throws (like the one at Dallas in triple coverage) after the ulnar deal.  By all accounts, he's healthy so I think it's more being passive to avoid mistakes.

Yeah, you are probably right. I thought about that as well. Remember the high throws. Throwing soft helps that but it creates worse problems. That’s what led me to thinking his grip is weak. Whatever it is, he doesn’t need to be starting on a NFL football team. 

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

How far back do you want to go?

Elway for sure.  I was in favor of the McNair pick back in the day.  Peyton.  Bledsoe, Ryan.  Luck.  Some years I was more into it than others but we all know NFL teams generally do a horrid job at evaluating QB's as they tend to favor measureables over things like accuracy, football QB instincts, pocket poise.

Guys like Montana, Brady,  Brees, and Wilson all had everything one wants in hindsight but were not 1st rounders because of measureables.  Measureables that clearly don't hinder the ability to play QB at a high level.

I know drafting guys like VY, Locker, and Mariota is a recipe for failure.

I think QB are overpaid and under developed.  They take QB who never took a snap from under center, never faced a NFL D, is 21 years old and start him on a terrible team.  Then after the game, they hold a press conference for him to answer questions about why he didn't do so good.

4 minutes ago, Face said:

Scine is the furthest thing from a homer. He ripped Locker & VY plenty. He used to rip Fisher all the time. He’s been bashing how conservative the team has been for the last 20 years no matter who the coach is.

He thought Marcus was going to play well & be extended. So did I. We were wrong, he was fucking atrocious & we admit that now. I flat out posted before the Denver game that if he laid a brick I was ready to move on. But there was plenty of reason to think he’d play well this year. I’m not going to rehash the same arguments but this season was far from indicative of his career......despite what some say this isn’t the “same guy he always was”. He regressed a ton. He was decent starting QB before that who showed some flashes he could be more. Thinking he was “the guy” does not make Scine a homer whatsoever.

At times it doesn’t take much to be labeled a homer here. Just being optimistic about the team is apparently all it takes. 

Scine is definitely not a homer but he was on the VY bus until the very end.  He was actually last man standing.

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

I think QB are overpaid and under developed.  They take QB who never took a snap from under center, never faced a NFL D, is 21 years old and start him on a terrible team.  Then after the game, they hold a press conference for him to answer questions about why he didn't do so good.

I mostly agree with this & it’s why I’m not overly enthused about drafting a QB. Every team does this when they need one, they immediately go pick one in the 1st rd when there’s a good chance they either need a lot of development or may not make it at all.  There’s guess work at every position but especially QB. It’s just so hard to determine their chances of translating. Btwn the whacky offenses they may play in,or how overwhelmingly dominant their supporting cast is, which I tbink is the bigger deal. 

So I’m not sure that “going by the book” & drafting a 1sr rd QB is the prudent play here, especially because we’ll probably be picking when 2-3 are already off the board. Look at the Cards signing Carson Palmer or the Chiefs trading for Alex Smith, they instantly became playoff teams, some years real contenders. 

With our defense having a chance to be really special if Simmons is what they think, passing on the small chance of picking a true superstar & signing or trading for a vet who you know can play, while possibly adding another blue chip defender or OL, may be the prudent decision.

23 minutes ago, Face said:

With our defense having a chance to be really special if Simmons is what they think, passing on the small chance of picking a true superstar & signing or trading for a vet who you know can play, while possibly adding another blue chip defender or OL, may be the prudent decision.

The problem is these qb's aren't really available.  I mean, maybe Rivers, and he's on the downside of his career.  The best ones in FA are the average type of qb's.

1 hour ago, rns90 said:

The problem is these qb's aren't really available.  I mean, maybe Rivers, and he's on the downside of his career.  The best ones in FA are the average type of qb's.

Right now it’s all speculation, we need to see the season play out, the draft order, how many quality QB’s come out, and what happens in certain situations in the league.

Theres the 2 Unicorn situations, where Rivers despises LA & wants to settle back down South and/or Mason Rudolph slays & the Steelers decide that want to save money, get young, and recoup their 1st rounder by trading Big Ben. In that unlikely scenario though he most likely winds up with Arians, out of the NFC. They’re very close. But these 2 change everything.

There could be a 3rd Unicorn actually, if Dallas doesn’t start winning.  Dak is asking for an awful lot of money & that team has too much talent to not win. Though there’s a slim to none chance of Dak playing elsewhere, Jerruh may be in the group that thinks he’s closer to a game manager then a game changer & decide to wrap up some more of his talent with his money & do a tag & trade.  Doubtful, but never rule anything out.

Then you have Cam, whose probably gone. Lightning rod, big lightning rod. He’s at least intriguing.

Then you have the lower tier guys who could be available like Dalton, Foles, Eli, maybe Rosen. Not great, but Dalton has had hisbstretches.

Another interesting name is Dwayne Haskins. He could very well find himself in Josh Rosen’s situation if they get a high enough pick. He doesn’t seem close to ready & maybe he never will be, but he has huge arm talent & Vrabel is connected with Ohio St.

Just chucking a few names around....

Oh and of course Tanny. He’s had big stretches, and out yo hug numbers for horrible Dolphins teams. You don’t get drafted 8th overall playing WR half your college career if you aren’t big time talented. Maybe he surprises. Wvery now & then you see a vet escape a horrible situation & play well.

Teddy B is another one.

Edited by Face

17 minutes ago, Face said:

Right now it’s all speculation, we need to see the season play out, the draft order, how many quality QB’s come out, and what happens in certain situations in the league.

Theres the 2 Unicorn situations, where Rivers despises LA & wants to settle back down South and/or Mason Rudolph slays & the Steelers decide that want to save money, get young, and recoup their 1st rounder by trading Big Ben. In that unlikely scenario though he most likely winds up with Arians, out of the NFC. They’re very close. But these 2 change everything.

There could be a 3rd Unicorn actually, if Dallas doesn’t start winning.  Dak is asking for an awful lot of money & that team has too much talent to not win. Though there’s a slim to none chance of Dak playing elsewhere, Jerruh may be in the group that thinks he’s closer to a game manager then a game changer & decide to wrap up some more of his talent with his money & do a tag & trade.  Doubtful, but never rule anything out.

Then you have Cam, whose probably gone. Lightning rod, big lightning rod. He’s at least intriguing.

Then you have the lower tier guys who could be available like Dalton, Foles, Eli, maybe Rosen. Not great, but Dalton has had hisbstretches.

Another interesting name is Dwayne Haskins. He could very well find himself in Josh Rosen’s situation if they get a high enough pick. He doesn’t seem close to ready & maybe he never will be, but he has huge arm talent & Vrabel is connected with Ohio St.

Just chucking a few names around....

Oh and of course Tanny. He’s had big stretches, and out yo hug numbers for horrible Dolphins teams. You don’t get drafted 8th overall playing WR half your college career if you aren’t big time talented. Maybe he surprises. Wvery now & then you see a vet escape a horrible situation & play well.

Teddy B is another one.

Cam is the one that has the highest upside, but it could implode.  I mean they wouldn't have to change the offense that much.  The medicals have to check out.  I would be ok with that one.  Haskins is the QB of future for Redskins.  Their idiot FO picked him.  He's going nowhere.

Eli is done and at best we're looking at game manager.  Teddy B. is a game manager as well, he'd be boring but they'd still win games.  Rosen is going into the 3rd year and at that point I'd rather go with a rookie.

Tanny is the most likely guy to be here unless he gets injured or someone else overpays like the Bears.  We're probably looking at the 3rd qb off the board where we draft.  I haven't seen enough of Jordan Love and Eason.  I'd be ok with Fromm.  A giant NO on Herbert and Hurts.