What was the plan for the offense?

OILERMAN

Absolutely sucks that we are wasting a top 5 defense this year.

There are only 3 teams in the NFL that haven't conceded 21 or more points in any game this year the Bills/Patriots/Titans.

There are only 6 teams that are conceding less than 16pts a game Patriots/49ers/Bills/Bears/Titans/Vikings.

The combined record of the 5 other teams is 22-5 while the Titans are 2-4.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is what I don't understand.    They signed Humphries for big money to play the slot, they were serious contenders in the Antonio Brown trade and drafted Brown. They made their opening s

I think Mariota has regressed even more this season. They probably thought that he couldn't be worse than last year since his Ulnar nerve injury was healing and he was healthy. Vrabel couldn't have ex

1st off, I don't think Arthur is all that competent at game planning yet. But more than anything, I think Lewan's suspension and Davis being far from ready by mid-camp made all their earlier prep

2 hours ago, big2033 said:

I don't think the coaches or GM know exactly why Mariota doesn't pull the trigger so they kept trying to give him no reason to doubt himself. And he kept failing.

Mariota can't throw the ball accurately downfield into coverage.  He can barely hit wide-open schemed targets.  They knew this and Mariota did as well, that's why he wouldn't try even if it meant losing the game.

2 hours ago, abenjami said:

Yeah and now our problem is this.  By the time we reboot with a new QB, it will be time to pay Davis, Brown, and a bunch of guys on defense.  We won't be able to keep this team together.

That's the most painful part of all this.  First, you get your QB, next you surround him with good offensive talent and last you build out the defense.  Championship.  Then you can't keep all your good players.  Mariota has squandered all of it.  You put Watson on this team and we are SB bound.  Win it, maybe so, maybe not, but we would stay in the conversation.

2 hours ago, Thrill said:

I think Mariota has regressed even more this season. They probably thought that he couldn't be worse than last year since his Ulnar nerve injury was healing and he was healthy. Vrabel couldn't have expected a probowl season from him but may like a 20 TD and 7 INT kind of year.

After the first half of the Browns game you could tell he had made no progress since last year. All of the same issues persisted. So I don't really blame Vrabel for playing condensed formations and running the ball. But if that was the case and he had that little confidence in Mariota, he should've benched him weeks ago. 

Mariota cannot mentally deal with pressure.  With everything on the line, contract $$$, he performed worse than ever.  Instead of coming in and playing his best game, he tried to play perfect.  Make sure every pass is complete.  How? Only throw is 1-5 yards.

Edited by Number9

3 hours ago, rns90 said:

This sounds like the most reasonable response.

JR probably wants to run a modern NFL offense, while Vrabel prefers ball control run heavy game plan.  And AAS probably dictated that Pineapple remain the starter at qb.

That makes no sense.  Robinson hired Vrabel.  You think he'd hire him if their philosophies differed?

4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Here is what I don't understand. 

They signed Humphries for big money to play the slot, they were serious contenders in the Antonio Brown trade and drafted Brown. They made their opening season depth chart a 3 WR set. 

Then the season started and they went pretty much two TEs and heavy sets as much or more than previous seasons. They are/were clearly afraid to let MM throw it. 

At the same time they clearly didn't want an open competition for the QB job and MM had to totally fall apart to get pulled today. They wanted MM starting and being the QB.

What am I missing here? If you want him to be the QB then why don't you want him throwing it? Why are they spending resources on WRs then the offensive philosophy is to run it and play it so safe? WTF are they doing?

If their plan was to run the ball why not invest in blocking TEs, play a lot of 6 OL sets and get a real FB? Why not implement MM's legs heavily into the ground game? Can't you get more playaction doing this? 

Do they even know why or what they were doing? 

this is it. Mariota has been poor but the offense just look some kid its throwing darts at a dartboard to pick the next play.

6 hours ago, Thrill said:

I think Mariota has regressed even more this season. They probably thought that he couldn't be worse than last year since his Ulnar nerve injury was healing and he was healthy. Vrabel couldn't have expected a probowl season from him but may like a 20 TD and 7 INT kind of year.

After the first half of the Browns game you could tell he had made no progress since last year. All of the same issues persisted. So I don't really blame Vrabel for playing condensed formations and running the ball. But if that was the case and he had that little confidence in Mariota, he should've benched him weeks ago. 

its very possible it never healed properly and he thinks he can play through it. the accuracy was never an issue until the injury. there WAS problems with him being aggressive and skiddish at the line once sacks started, but he was still accurate. 

5 hours ago, scine09 said:

That makes no sense.  Robinson hired Vrabel.  You think he'd hire him if their philosophies differed?

The construction of the offense says otherwise. I think Vrabel likely sold Jrob like he sold the fanbase during his introductory presser. Vrabel needs to get the fuck out of the offense and let his OC take the lead.

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

The construction of the offense says otherwise. I think Vrabel likely sold Jrob like he sold the fanbase during his introductory presser. Vrabel needs to get the fuck out of the offense and let his OC take the lead.

I don't really think we know if that's the case or not.  It's speculation.  Let's see what happens with both the rest of the season and how they play things going forward.

I mean they did draft A.J. Brown...

I have no real evidence for this, but I feel like JRob has built the offense with the 2020 QB in mind. Vrabel (like every other coach MM has had) doesn't trust MM to air it out, so we're running a 1920s offense. I don't think JR or MV expected even more regression from MM this year. 

I feel like it’s pretty easy what they were thinking: put your QB (most important position) in the best position to succeed. It was probably a directive from AAS. JRob went and got the talent to have a modern passing offense. Vrabel and co likely know his limitations (because they see and do this every day, as they are paid big money to - unlike the rest of us who chastise and analyze every move they make) and we’re trying to get by with what they knew would work. 

Henry is the workhorse they think they could run the offense through and still have Mariota behind center. AAS wanted to exhaust every opportunity to see Mariota succeed, but he just isn’t going to. 

TL;DR: Modern passing offense run through PA, but because QB sucks, they can’t run the offense. 

Let’s see how things go with Tannehill before calling for everyone’s heads. 

2 minutes ago, notsolegato said:

I have no real evidence for this, but I feel like JRob has built the offense with the 2020 QB in mind. Vrabel (like every other coach MM has had) doesn't trust MM to air it out, so we're running a 1920s offense. I don't think JR or MV expected even more regression from MM this year. 

That's entirely possible.

5 minutes ago, scine09 said:

I don't really think we know if that's the case or not.  It's speculation.  Let's see what happens with both the rest of the season and how they play things going forward.

I mean they did draft A.J. Brown...

Really?

They spent a top 5 pick on Davis, spent a high 2nd rounder on Smith, Signed Humphries to a big FA contract, Signed Lewis to a big FA contract, and spent another high 2nd rounder on Brown. The offense has clearly been constructed with a modern NFL offense in mind.

3 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Really?

They spent a top 5 pick on Davis, spent a high 2nd rounder on Smith, Signed Humphries to a big FA contract, Signed Lewis to a big FA contract, and spent another high 2nd rounder on Brown. The offense has clearly been constructed with a modern NFL offense in mind.

And yet he hired Vrabel.

I really don't agree that this is how Vrabel thinks an offense should be run.  He's a smart guy who seems to understand modern NFL football.

Time will tell.

5 minutes ago, scine09 said:

And yet he hired Vrabel.

I really don't agree that this is how Vrabel thinks an offense should be run.  He's a smart guy who seems to understand modern NFL football.

Time will tell.

We'll see but the overly conservative nature of the offense the past 1.5 years is on Vrabel. If the argument is that he made the decision because of the QB's limitation then explain why they stuck with Mariota for so long?