Offensive Line

gnawed

Who will/should start on the offensive line?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who will start on the offensive line in Week 5?

• Lewan-Saffold-Jones-Davis-Conklin
    • Lewan-Saffold-Jones-Davis-Kelly
    • Lewan-Saffold-Jones-Conklin-Kelly
  2. 2. Who SHOULD start on the offensive line in Week 5?

• Lewan-Saffold-Jones-Davis-Conklin
    • Lewan-Saffold-Jones-Davis-Kelly
    • Lewan-Saffold-Jones-Conklin-Kelly

Maybe this question is obvious to some, but I am wondering if anybody feels that Kelly has proven he should start at RT or that we need a RG so bad that we have to start Kelly at RT.

I know last game our offensive line looked good, but let's not forget the Jacksonville game.

Personally, I think a Lewan-Saffold-Jones-Conklin-Kelly offensive line could be stronger this year than a right side of Davis-Conklin. Not sure if Conklin can play RG though.

2 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Why do people keep trying to put Conklin at RG?

How many times by how many different people do y'all need to be told,...

That ain't happening.

And BTW, what happened to Douglas?

It's not about Conklin not being able to play RT, it is about what makes this offensive line (and team) the best. If we don't have a decent RG, I think that it would make sense to move him inside since Kelly has proven he can play Right Tackle. I guess if Conklin is terrible at RG then it doesn't make sense, but I definitely think he would be good. 

15 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

That ain't happening.

I was thinking the same thing. There are a few much more likely options not in the poll

Line positions are not interchangeable, guy. There are assignments that need to be learned, there are skillsets you need to have, there are probably even techniques that have to be learned. It's not just about putting your mitts out and pushing against people.

The devil owns boardwalk property in the details.

27 minutes ago, gnawed said:

It's not about Conklin not being able to play RT, it is about what makes this offensive line (and team) the best. If we don't have a decent RG, I think that it would make sense to move him inside since Kelly has proven he can play Right Tackle. I guess if Conklin is terrible at RG then it doesn't make sense, but I definitely think he would be good. 

Conklin says he's not a guard, he's a tackle.

Vrabel says the same.

Arthur says the same.

Guards and tackles, especially when they have to play a hybrid scheme of Zone and Man/Power blocking are NOT interchangeable.  Moving him to RG at this stage of the season would result in a disaster.

And Cosell can kiss my ass if he still says Conk should be a guard at this level. 

The Titans don't have a whole off-season to prepare Conk for making that switch, and if they tried he'll probably insist on being traded.

54 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

That ain't happening.

I wondered about this as well, it’s obvious Conklin is moving to guard. 

To me it’s clear as day that Kelly at RG is our best 5. He played guard his first 3 years in Chip Kelly’s scheme. It’s pretty obvious he’s much better than Douglas & at least probably for now, Davis.

35 minutes ago, Face said:

To me it’s clear as day that Kelly at RG is our best 5. He played guard his first 3 years in Chip Kelly’s scheme. It’s pretty obvious he’s much better than Douglas & at least probably for now, Davis.

And got traded for Dorial Green Beckham.  Obviously he didn’t play guard that well.

4 hours ago, Face said:

It's apparently not that clear to the team and they're the ones deciding who goes where. 

Lewan, Saffold, Jones, Davis, and Conklin are the envisioned starting OL. It's what JRob sought when he signed Saffold and then drafted Davis. Although it's happening a bit later than they'd wanted or anticipated, it looks like it's finally coming together that way.

The idea of either Conklin or Kelly playing guard is a pipe dream at best for multiple reasons.

11 hours ago, Face said:

How can it be obvious if we've never even seen him play RG in this scheme? The little we've seen from Davis leads me to think we don't need to convert Kelly. It seems like you're assuming he's better than Davis because Davis is a rookie and has missed some time.

5 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

How can it be obvious if we've never even seen him play RG in this scheme? The little we've seen from Davis leads me to think we don't need to convert Kelly. It seems like you're assuming he's better than Davis because Davis is a rookie and has missed some time.

I'm pretty sure Face meant isn't....

2 hours ago, oldschool said:

Conklin is the best RT on the team. He's not moving to RG. Move on.

If the RG position wasn’t such a liability (thus far this season), I wonder if anyone would even suggest moving Conklin.