Turron Davenport: Titans offensive line embarrassed by Jaguars in prime time

NashvilleNinja

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"QB breakdown: Mariota struggled, but he was under constant duress. There were a few standout passes, highlighted by a 47-yard completion to Tajae Sharpe, who beat Jalen Ramsey. Mariota stood tall in

No they haven't. Last night was by the far the worst they've looked. Teams are sending free rushers on play action and its leading to sacks. it's the counter to teams that run a lot of play action. Th

Nobody noticed two of Mahomes' TD passes today were spectacular/miraculous catches by his WRs? The one to Robinson in the EZ was a one handed snag that looked like he had pine tar on his glove, a

2 minutes ago, AvgJoe said:

Mariota’s pass to Walker in the end zone was behind Delanie before it was tipped. It wasn’t going to get caught.

Strongly disagree. Walker could have adjusted a bit. It was coming a little to Walker's right, but the tip made it go off even further. Was it perfect? No, but if it was perfect, the LB would have batted it down completely, not just tipped it. It was where it needed to be, but the guy made a good play. Now, if he had put a bit more loft on it...that would have helped. But the angle wasn't going to be a problem for Walker.

32 minutes ago, Justafan said:

I've been saying all week the line needs to figure out how to block.  They've been terrible all year.  

No they haven't. Last night was by the far the worst they've looked. Teams are sending free rushers on play action and its leading to sacks. it's the counter to teams that run a lot of play action. The being said the OL was whipped badly last night during stretches of the game. I think the most disappointing part was Conklin getting destroyed at least twice by Allen. He's supposed to be a stud RT; time to play like one.

1 minute ago, enigma said:

I just wanna know who made the call to keep Douglas over Levin? I mean, neither are world-beaters by any means but at least Levin looked competent the few times he started last season. 

Nate Davis missing camp was/is the real problem, not letting Levin go. Also, Taylor Lewan getting his dumb ass suspended the first four games did the group no favors.

12 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Nate Davis missing camp was/is the real problem, not letting Levin go. Also, Taylor Lewan getting his dumb ass suspended the first four games did the group no favors.

Ugh...yes Davis missing camp was a problem. But the point I was trying to make is for "experienced" depth, someone definitely made the wrong call to cut Levin (who was/is competent) in favor of Douglas who doesn't belong on an NFL roster...

Edited by enigma

On September 20, 2019 at 4:36 AM, IsntLifeFunny said:

The one handed to Davis and the pass to left field to a wide open Sharpe for a TD is all you need. 

I thought going into the year you roll with MM on the hope he could hover around average and maybe hit a hot streak. I’m not sure what to think at this point if they start Mariota next week. He’s missing the easiest of throws. 

Just for for the sake of it let’s go from easiest to easy: 

1) bubble screen on 2nd and 6 to Humphries he airmails the ball. This is the easiest pass in the NFL. 

2) The one handed to Davis. This pass takes some anticipation, but Davis destroys Ramsey and is open by over a yard on a hitch route. Once again, this is one of the simples throws in all of football, not just the NFL. 

3) double move to Sharpe. This is a play where he has to make the read and watch the safety while trusting his protection. The fact he makes the throw says it all. He had a pocket and Sharpe destroyed Bouye. This is the hardest because of the fact he has to watch it develop before releasing. His pass was so off that the DB left in the dust didn’t have a chance at it. 

Regardless of the line’s performance MM put up a game I would consider to be worse than most backups. 

The pass to Sharpe was clearly a mix up. It looked like a route where Sharpe was supposed to run up closer to the sideline or run past the corner inside, it's usually dependent on if the corner presses & if he does it well or not, and where the safety is. Mariota very well may have read it wrong & probably did, because Sharpe appeared wide open, though we didn't see where the safety was. So that was most likely MM's fault, but in reading it wrong. There's no way he missed by that much.

Speaking of, what happened to Tajae? He was probably the last guy in the league I'd put money on to beat either Jag corner deep, and he did to both. Did he hit the weights in the offseason? He just seems to be running his downfield routes with more authority, aggression. Maybe this was the Sharpe the team saw his rookie camp.

The Cards are basically the only team that runs 4 wide, but we have 4 that can play. If MM gets his sack back or we go to Tanny, I'd love to see some 4 wide with Hump & AJB in the slot.

On September 20, 2019 at 7:37 AM, oldschool said:

No they haven't. Last night was by the far the worst they've looked. Teams are sending free rushers on play action and its leading to sacks. it's the counter to teams that run a lot of play action. The being said the OL was whipped badly last night during stretches of the game. I think the most disappointing part was Conklin getting destroyed at least twice by Allen. He's supposed to be a stud RT; time to play like one.

I meant to say this.  I'm not going to rip Kelly, the guys a backup whose much better off on the right side. He's huge & a good run blocker but he obviously doesn't have the feet or bend to hold up at LT. And Jamil Douglas is on the staff. He's beyond atrocious & never should've made the team key alone be starting. But it is what it is. Like you said, the team desperately needed a lock down performance from Conklin & he got plugged. Then again nobody on the board thought it was a big deal the Jags got Allen. Kids a monster.

Very disappointed in Conklin though. 

Nobody noticed two of Mahomes' TD passes today were spectacular/miraculous catches by his WRs?

The one to Robinson in the EZ was a one handed snag that looked like he had pine tar on his glove, and the other Hardman had to turn and jump for, but he still got his YAC.

In both cases Mahomes' "accuracy" was on par with what you guys have been bitching about with Mariota.

Kelce was showing some leaping athleticism to make a couple catches today too.

37 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Nobody noticed two of Mahomes' TD passes today were spectacular/miraculous catches by his WRs?

The one to Robinson in the EZ was a one handed snag that looked like he had pine tar on his glove, and the other Hardman had to turn and jump for, but he still got his YAC.

In both cases Mahomes' "accuracy" was on par with what you guys have been bitching about with Mariota.

...Mahomes throws with velocity so defenders can’t key on the nearly as easy. He also throws all over the yard so defenders are a lot more spread out. It’s a laughable comparison. First time you see Mahomes throw the two balls MM did to Humphries (screen and the one into double coverage) let me know. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

On 9/20/2019 at 10:06 AM, NashvilleNinja said:

We have no idea if Davis would have been ready to start even if he hadn't missed camp.

4 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

I'm not upset about plays where the receiver has to make a difficult catch.   

I'm upset about the relatively routine plays where Marcus has a wide-open target but the throw is 3-4 yards off target and the receiver never has a chance.  

3 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Comparing Mariota's accuracy to Mahomes based on some cherry picked plays is pretty desperate