Preseason Week 1: Titans @ Eagles Game Thread

Jonboy

Just now, Titans279 said:

No one’s saying Tannehill is some world beater. The fact he looks so much better than Mariota is saying a lot more about how bad Mariota has looked than how great Tannehill is. 

Tannehill looks like he could be a semi-competent game manager. I can’t say the same about Mariota the past two years. 

He played the Eagles 3rd stringers.

Woodside came in against a lot of the same players Tannehill was playing against and went 15/20, 138 and 2 touchdowns as well.

If you want to argue Tannehill > Mariota based off what he did in Miami then go for it.

Trying to base something off a preseason game borders on brain dead though.

The obsession NFL fans have with practice and preseason performance will never cease to amaze me.

Keep in mind the 0-16 Lions and 0-16 Browns both went 4-0 in the preseason.

Let that be a lesson in how much preseason performance matters.

The pressure(as in what's on the line) in a preseason game isn't the same. The level of play obviously isn't the same. The level of coaching(play calling, that is) isn't the same.

There is close to 0 correlation between what someone does in the preseason and how good or bad of a player they are, at least as it relates to players that are locks to make rosters.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My God get Tanny out of there! We can't afford to lose him 

Vrabel needs to go ahead and make the switch! Mariota gave it his best shot

Titans would be best served to start Tannehill. 

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Oh yeah, that accuracy, velocity, pocket poise and mechanics have lead to Tannehill being so great that he's had a leaps and bounds better career than Mariota and the team that hasn't had a QB worth half a shit since Marino retired let him go in favor of bringing in Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh Rosen.

The brilliance shines through in these posts.

And our starter is so good that he hasn't even been offered an extension and looks like crap compared to a guy that we traded a 4th round pick for

3 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Oh yeah, that accuracy, velocity, pocket poise and mechanics have lead to Tannehill being so great that he's had a leaps and bounds better career than Mariota and the team that hasn't had a QB worth half a shit since Marino retired let him go in favor of bringing in Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh Rosen.

The brilliance shines through in these posts.

No one thinks Tannehill is the savior, or even the QBOF. Also, I’ve been an ardent supporter of Mariota. He looked awful. He needs to step it up or he’ll be replaced very quickly. 

Just now, oldschool said:

Are you paying attention? its not that Tannehill looked good; It's that Mariota didn't. 

I think you're the one not paying attention:

I'm saying preseason performance means nothing. Good, bad, or in between.

I don't give a shit if Mariota has a good or bad practice or a good or bad preseason game. Because they mean nothing. Mariota is what he is at this point. It's year 5. A good or bad practice or preseason game is meaningless.

But this message board is split between being so busy jerking themselves off every time Mariota has a good practice, or jerking themselves off every time Mariota looks bad in practice.

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I don't give a shit if Mariota has a good or bad practice or a good or bad preseason game. Because they mean nothing. Mariota is what he is at this point. It's year 5. A good or bad practice or preseason game is meaningless.

But this message board is split between being so busy jerking themselves off every time Mariota has a good practice, or jerking themselves off every time Mariota looks bad in practice.

The problem is that it's not a single practice or preseason performance. Go back to his rookie year. This is who he is. I used to make the argument you are making and it doesn't work.

3 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

It isn’t the preseason game dude. That’s what everyone is telling you. His pass to Jennings looked like broken down Manning out there. It had absolutely no zip on it. It looks like his arm is shot. Hopefully it isn’t, but if he keeps it up like this he has to be replaced. 

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Oof, you're not going to find many people that agree that a 5th year QB looking bad in the preseason against vanilla defenses means nothing. If he plays well against those defenses it's meaningless because he's supposed to but bad play certainly matters. Concern about Mariota is warranted, saying that it's all said and done isn't yet IMO.

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

The problem is that it's not a single practice or preseason performance. Go back to his rookie year. This is who he is. I used to make the argument you are making and it doesn't work.

He used to be good. His arm didn't look nearly this deficient his first 2 years. He looks like a player in decline right now. Hope he can figure something out.

3 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

He used to be good. His arm didn't look nearly this deficient his first 2 years. He looks like a player in decline right now. Hope he can figure something out.

It has to be the injuries. I have no other explanation. Inconsistency is one thing, but last night was different. I could have thrown that ball harder than Mariota. I mean it was a clean read wide open and that’s the pass? I don’t know what to think, but as soon as I saw that pass I knew he was basically finished. 

9 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

It has to be the injuries. I have no other explanation. Inconsistency is one thing, but last night was different. I could have thrown that ball harder than Mariota. I mean it was a clean read wide open and that’s the pass? I don’t know what to think, but as soon as I saw that pass I knew he was basically finished. 

It was weird though because that last tight window throw to Humphries between two defenders had plenty of zip and it wasn't much further away than the crossing route he threw behind the receiver just a few plays before. I want to say his arm is totally shot but then he flashes the ability to throw a little heat so I'm left to think he's choosing to throw these lob-like balls which then makes me think "who the fuck would willingly throw like that"? It's weird and it definitely didn't exist his first 2 years.

2 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

It was weird though because that last tight window throw to Humphries between two defenders had plenty of zip and it wasn't much further away than the crossing route he threw behind the receiver just a few plays before. I want to say his arm is totally shot but then he flashes the ability to throw a little heat so I'm left to think he's choosing to throw these lob-like balls which then makes me think "who the fuck would willingly throw like that"? It's weird and it definitely didn't exist his first 2 years.

I don’t know either. That pass to Jennings was inexcusable. 

• Jonboy unpinned this topic