Titans Interested in Jordy Nelson; Visiting Seattle First

tgo

Just now, StephenIsLegend said:

Don’t you just love how the agendas drive people to know and understand each gameplan without talking to those who develop the gameplans?

It just doesn't make sense. If an opposing team has the shittiest QB in the world but an Oline with 5 future HoFers on it where are you going to focus most of your defensive efforts? Trying to break through an Oline that may allow you to hurry or hit the QB once in 10-15 plays? Or are you going to defend against the shitty QB's attempts to be Joe Montana?

Obviously that's an exaggeration to make a point... but then 11 sacks given up in a single game is pretty exaggerated too.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I realize I may be arguing against an avalanche when it comes to putting music on top of highlight videos, but if you're going to use rap at least use a non-mumble rapping mfer that doesn't have to re

I really wish we'd draft a pure speed guy. Don't even care if he's a one trick pony. We've got Davis, Delanie and Humphries to move the chains. Need that deep threat who can stretch the field.

Posted Images

On 3/19/2019 at 8:52 AM, abc2330 said:

How many guys like Jackson exist in the league?  There have been many, many offenses who have excelled without someone like him, and many receivers who have excelled in every part of the field without that speed.  No matter who you have out there, it's up to the QB deliver the ball to them, and that's where the problem lies.  I can hardly recall Mariota taking a single deep shot on anything other than PA.there were several occasions last year when he had the opportunity, butt didn't take /see it

This is a different argument from the one you were making. Your initial post intimated that deep threat wide receivers aren't a serious weapon worthy of coveting because a DB's cushion renders them effectively useless. Now you've shifted to "well plenty of offenses have done well without one" which is true but again, not what I reacted to. While it's true that there have been offenses that function without a true deep threat, the way defenses traditionally play Mariota (sit  and jump on the short routes) would be exposed by a true deep threat. A deep threat receiver isn't just useful when he's catching the ball but also in dictating coverage. We could certainly use one at it's far from "hilarious" that fans in Tennessee would like one. 

46 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

This is a different argument from the one you were making. Your initial post intimated that deep threat wide receivers aren't a serious weapon worthy of coveting because a DB's cushion renders them effectively useless. Now you've shifted to "well plenty of offenses have done well without one" which is true but again, not what I reacted to. While it's true that there have been offenses that function without a true deep threat, the way defenses traditionally play Mariota (sit  and jump on the short routes) would be exposed by a true deep threat. A deep threat receiver isn't just useful when he's catching the ball but also in dictating coverage. We could certainly use one at it's far from "hilarious" that fans in Tennessee would like one. 

I didn't say anything about receivers being rendered useless by cushion.  I just referenced the cushion that Taylor received, which shows that his speed is respected by defenses.  

If a defense doesn't respect a QB as is, they aren't going to respect them with a deep threat.  It affects the coverage to a degree , but they'll still be focused on taking away middle of the field throwing lanes and making Marcus uncomfortable in the pocket until he proves that he can overcome that.  

Most of the good passing games don't exist because of a deep threat.  It's because of the person throwing the ball.  

23 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

In 2017, Tyrrek Hill showed beyond a shadow of a doubt what an offense can become with a legit deep threat. To that point in his career, Alex Smith had damn near every single knock against him that Mariota does. Not enough arm, too cautious, captain check down, blah, blah, blah. Then for a season, Tyreek Hill drops into his lap the guy has a career year in terms of deep ball attempts, completions, yards, and everything else. The QB certainly matters but so do the weapons around him and if you don't see how receivers that can actually scare defenders with speed would help Mariota and by extension our entire offense, then I don't know what to tell you. And Taywan Taylor in NOT a legit deep threat in this league so using how defense covered him to downplay what an actual deep threat would do to this this team is not effective at all. 

Darrius Jennings seems like he's just as fast, if not faster than Taylor, and no one is calling him a "deep threat".

Edited by NashvilleNinja

46 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

In 2017, Tyrrek Hill showed beyond a shadow of a doubt what an offense can become with a legit deep threat. To that point in his career, Alex Smith had damn near every single knock against him that Mariota does. Not enough arm, too cautious, captain check down, blah, blah, blah. Then for a season, Tyreek Hill drops into his lap the guy has a career year in terms of deep ball attempts, completions, yards, and everything else. The QB certainly matters but so do the weapons around him and if you don't see how receivers that can actually scare defenders with speed would help Mariota and by extension our entire offense, then I don't know what to tell you. And Taywan Taylor in NOT a legit deep threat in this league so using how defense covered him to downplay what an actual deep threat would do to this this team is not effective at all. 

Alex Smith showed that if you give him all world weapons and good protection, he'll give you slightly above average QB production.  That offense wasn't transformed until they changed their QB.  It improved, but it was still 1 injury of a key player away (Kelce) from becoming mediocre.

Anyway, Hill is the best deep threat in the league.  It's safe to assume that we won't find someone that good, and they won't improve the passing game as much, especially since our QB is worse.

Edited by abc2330

2 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

Alex Smith isn't the player and scheme you want to showcase your point, I'm not sure if you've heard of a guy named Mahommes and how he completely transformed that team

45 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

This is why he's not considered a deep threat:

You are discounting a younger player because of 3 drops.  Which is idiotic.  Why not post him handily beating an All- Pro CB and making a diving catch downfield?  Or catching those two long passes against NYJ?  Or blasting a crater -sized hole in the Indy secondary for the GW TD?  Or blasting a similar hole in the Baltimore D when Mariota missed him?  Or when he caught that clutch 4th down pass against Philadelphia?  Hell look at him in college- nobody was within 10 yards of him on many of those long plays. 

He has drops, like most of the fucking receivers in the league when they are young and dealing with difficult circumstances.  But you don't see Jennings or really anyone else get that kind of separation , so whoever compared them is an idiot.  Most receivers in the league don't get that kind of separation, and he's still got a ways to go.  People just compare him to  rare players in their prime instead of having any sort of realistic expectation as to where he should be right now

Mahommes is special but I think that Alex Smith is getting a little worked over here.  With him as their QB KC went 11-5, 9-7, 11-5, 12-4, 10-6.

He's had a rough playoff stretch...some heartbreakers...the colts game being one of the most vivid in my memory.  Luck fumbling the ball and it bouncing right back to him and he scores a TD that wins the game.

Mahommes goes about it a different way for sure but results wise Smith is right there with him.

55 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

People just compare him to  rare players in their prime instead of having any sort of realistic expectation as to where he should be right now

Are you talking about Taylor or Mariota?

Edited by IowaOiler

1 hour ago, bizzyeddie said:

Mahommes is special but I think that Alex Smith is getting a little worked over here.  With him as their QB KC went 11-5, 9-7, 11-5, 12-4, 10-6.

He's had a rough playoff stretch...some heartbreakers...the colts game being one of the most vivid in my memory.  Luck fumbling the ball and it bouncing right back to him and he scores a TD that wins the game.

Mahommes goes about it a different way for sure but results wise Smith is right there with him.

Don't forget Smith was also on the wrong end of Mariota throwing what should have been a pick and have it bounce back to him for a TD too.