Titans Interested in Jordy Nelson; Visiting Seattle First

tgo

1 hour ago, bizzyeddie said:

I think that Douglas and Johnson were here to kinda fill the same role.  I'm sure they hope that Nelson will do that but better than they did.

Johnson was a disappointment but Douglas wasn't terrible.

I think Johnson would have been less of a disappointment if Rishard hadn't gone into full-on bitch mode over his playing time.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I realize I may be arguing against an avalanche when it comes to putting music on top of highlight videos, but if you're going to use rap at least use a non-mumble rapping mfer that doesn't have to re

I really wish we'd draft a pure speed guy. Don't even care if he's a one trick pony. We've got Davis, Delanie and Humphries to move the chains. Need that deep threat who can stretch the field.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

I think Johnson would have been less of a disappointment if Rishard hadn't gone into full-on bitch mode over his playing time.

Yep, I think he actually had 3 really clutch catches to start out the season right? I know he caught a clutch TD pass to win the Lions game, that we wouldn't have won without him. 

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Nelson is going to be 34 when the season starts, he is/was a big play speed WR. His yards per reception has dropped a lot the last two seasons. I really don't see how he's going to help the passing game much aside from being veteran depth like Douglas or Andre Johnson. 

If they are going to get big plays down field off of the power running game and play action it's more likely to come from Taylor or a rookie draft pick. 

I liked Nelson a lot coming out, but I always saw him more as a possession guy with Cobb as the speed guy. 

Still agree with your point: Nelson is getting older and has lost a lot of what speed he did have. I’d rather be younger at the other outside position and draft a guy to compete with/push Taylor. Preferably a speed guy. 

7 minutes ago, tgo said:

Yep, I think he actually had 3 really clutch catches to start out the season right? I know he caught a clutch TD pass to win the Lions game, that we wouldn't have won without him.

He flashed in a few games, taking full advantage of his opportunities.  Douglas used to do the same.

And that's the example they want to set and what JRob wants the young guys to learn. 

After reading the article last year about Douglas mentoring Davis, I think it's a no-brainer, long term vets still have some value on a team full of rookies and 2nd and 3rd year kids.

17 hours ago, socaltitan said:

It is. I don't think Nelson has much left in the tank. I'd rather go with Taylor even with the unknowns about him. At least he has speed. It does seem like we'll add a vet WR, a #4/#5 type

It's about good route running.  Mariota throws to a spot. If a guy can't be where he's supposed to be when the ball gets there, he's not going to be a good fit with MM. I think the veteran experience is what JRob is looking for.

Of course, at what point does a young player become a veteran?  3 or 4 years?  # of snaps?  # of starts?

In most cases, it seems the player makes a big leap in year 2 with real NFL game speed experience and a full offseason in hand.

I'm really not sure how much mentoring 3rd or 4th year players need.  Rookies?  Sure.

Not opposed to Nelson but I think the mentor aspect is overblown.  More importantly, they need guys who can read coverages properly, run precise routes, and catch the ball.

1 minute ago, BudAdams said:

Of course, at what point does a young player become a veteran?  3 or 4 years?  # of snaps?  # of starts?

In most cases, it seems the player makes a big leap in year 2 with real NFL game speed experience and a full offseason in hand.

I'm really not sure how much mentoring 3rd or 4th year players need.  Rookies?  Sure.

Not opposed to Nelson but I think the mentor aspect is overblown.  More importantly, they need guys who can read coverages properly, run precise routes, and catch the ball.

I’d like to think a “vet” player is a minimum 5 years in the league. 

38 minutes ago, Somedude said:

Nelson would be another Decker. No thanks

Old and slow Decker had more production, targets, catches and yards in 2017 than any TN receiver not named Davis did in 2018.

He got open.  He found those holes in the zone coverages.

But the drops.

But even he found a way to be there in the WC game, finally.

I doubt Nelson has that same problem.

32 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

it's different for different players...Jordy may be able to help a guy like Davis or Humphries a bit to understand some of the nuances of the game.  those 2 guys are pretty secure in their position right now.  He would probably be there to just scare Taylor into picking up his game.

Hard to say but I do agree it's probably way overblown.  If he does turn out to help out the young guys that would just be a bonus.  Its really not something you consider when signing the guy.  How can he play..how much does he cost..shit like that.

6 hours ago, abc2330 said:

You people saying we need a WR to stretch the field are hilarious.  Teams stack the box against us, and it ain't because of our WRs.  Taylor actually had the 3rd most cushion of any WR in the league.  Until our QB actually attempts to get the ball downfield on anything other than PA, it doesn't matter who you put out there.

They stack the box because we haven't been able to block for shit, either in pass pro or in run blocking. Hopefully after replacing Spain and Kline we'll have solved that problem.

21 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

They stack the box because we haven't been able to block for shit, either in pass pro or in run blocking. Hopefully after replacing Spain and Kline we'll have solved that problem.

That's not why teams stack the box.

52 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Oh, ok. So you've been in on their game preps enough to know that they don't study film and aren't able to tell which teams are struggling in the trenches. Gotcha.

Don’t you just love how the agendas drive people to know and understand each gameplan without talking to those who develop the gameplans?