According to Matt Miller the Titans absolute love Mississippi St DT Jeffery Simmons

AussieTitanFan08

7 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

To be honest it depends on who is available when we pick.  JRob may have one or two targets on offense and one or two targets on defense.  Point is I don't think he thinks like many on this board who will list 3 or 4 WRs we should take.  JRob might have one specific WR he is really high on (he was high on Corey Davis) and if that guy is there maybe that is what he drafts.  At 19 we don't have the luxury of hand picking who (offense or defense) we want and probably take whoever drops to us we have graded with an earlier grade.  Might be a TE, might be a pass rusher.

I actually agree with this. 

I think it's likely that he has only 1 or 2, perhaps 3 players on offense he would draft at 19. For example, maybe it's Marquise Brown, Hockenson, and Irv Smith. Or maybe it's Marquise Brown, Hockenson, or AJ Brown - something along those lines. 

But maybe if a defender they have highly rated like Wilkins or Ferrell/Burns (just as an example) falls to 19, then they take them over the offensive player if they're graded higher. 

Personally, I think we will go into the draft with no true "holes" on the team. Meaning, I think they'll sign an OLB, WR, and then a middling type guard and possibly even a DL. 

That will give them latitude to address positions which would still be "need" positions like DL, pass rusher, OL, WR, whatever the case may be - early, while not having to get a starter at any one position just based on desperate need. 

Edited by tgo

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like Adoree and I think he'll continue to grow into a good corner. Although he's no world beater.    But get his ass off punt returns already. Jesus. 

I wish they would have taken O.J. Howard over Jackson

This piece of information from Matt Miller on today's Stick to Football Podcast comes as a big surprise, apparently it was "the worst kept secret in the scouting community" that the Titans absolutely

3 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Im not even thinking of TE anymore in the first. Wyatt really downplayed it as even a need. 

Starting to think this way as well, but where did Wyatt say this? I missed it and just wanted to hear/see what he said. 

Just now, OILERMAN said:

I think TE would be a luxury pick. The back-ups played too well down the stretch imo 

Agreed. 

I think the only one they'll consider is Hockenson, but even if they think he's the best TE in the draft and a multi year pro bowler, they may steer away from the position entirely for more immediate help. 

Society has changed.  When I grew up, it was inappropriate to hit a woman/girl.  Behind closed doors, it was appropriate and the police wouldn't get involved.  It was also inappropriate to hit a person wearing glasses.  Women shielded by this were also less likely to act in ways that caused this type of fight.  The first thing I saw in the video was another woman beating her.  Now, in my day when it was inappropriate, you wouldn't have another woman hitting a woman too.

I think you have to overlook this incident, especially because it was a person to a person.  The woman getting the whipping had said something very bad about his dead relatives.  A lot of people consider that evil.  When I grew up that was something you absolutely didn't't do.  Women have become very aggressive and demand equality.  So, some things have changes and it's time to let go some of the phony value system go.  You have to look at each case and decide.  

Edited by Number9

Even with the ACL injury I think Jeffery Simmons gets picked in the top 40, there has been recent precedent of guys with serious injuries not dropping that far.

Look at Jaylon Smith his knee injury was horrific, much worse than Simmons and he still got picked by the Cowboys at #34, Sidney Jones tore his Achilles during the draft process and still went at #43 to the Eagles.

8 hours ago, Soxcat said:

We have a group on here that think we need a two gap guy to "fit the system" and what we really need is someone who can get to the passer without being a huge detriment against the run.  Since we go 4 man front the majority of the time and the money downs usually involve stopping the pass I'm looking more for another Casey.  Lawrence is a interesting candidate because he is athletic for his size and can rush the passer as well as anchor the run.  He could play nose or 5 technique in the base and DT in the four man front.  Wilkins is more like Casey and a great prospect as well. 

This is the type of black or white thinking that annoys the shit out of me. You're making it out like some are saying we need some fat piece of shit to be a 2 down player when this just isn't the case. But if you look at the Ravens & Pats historically, and we're running pretty much the same system, they've put  a high priority on size up front. Robinson said it was important in his first interview here. So yeah, size is a big part of the picture. 

When you say "what we really need is a pass rusher" you're discounting how they're looking to do that. A huge, athletic 340 pounder who can't be handled by a single lineman can impact the overall pass rush more then a 290 pound, super quick 3 tech, depending on who they are. Or while they may get less sacks during the year, they might be more disruptive overall by constantly pushing the interior of the OL back into the QB's face.

Of course there's always exceptions & players with rare qualities. The Titans certainly wouldn't pass on Aaron Donald & would definitely adjust what they do on defense to suit a monster like him.  Likewise, even though Donald is only about 285 lbs, he's very lean & probably carries more lean muscle then plenty of 320-330 pounders & is monstrously strong, thus he'd dominate in 2 gap as well. We took 6'6 350 pound AH, who certainly didn't look the part of a gap shooting 3 tech for Schwartz's system & we obviously know how that turned out.

Now, maybe I'm wrong & the staff sees things differently now. We do seem to be really big on Saunders, whose definitely more of a gap shooter now, though with his power & quickness he'd have no problem doing anything you want. But all you can do is go with the information you have, and the guys running our scheme have historically placed an emphasis on big, strong interior DL

6 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I think TE would be a luxury pick. The back-ups played too well down the stretch imo 

This is how I see it. The backup TE's were really the surprise of the team last year. Jonnu was clearly coming into his own as a pass catcher & made some plays that only a handful of TE's can make. His speed against the Texans on the MNF game was insane, a perfect example of making big plays outside of the scheme. He turned an 8 yard quick pass against a blitz into a 60 yard score.  And the way he just tossed that dude in the Patriot game.

And MyCole Pruitt really hasn't gotten enough credit for Henry's explosion. I think he had a similar effect as to what Alge Crumpler had on CJ. Plus Pruitt is very fast & has huge hands, and was a big time college TE.

Im with @tgoin that we may rate Hockenson's upside so high that we may pullthe trigger, but it's certainly not considered a "need" position.