Jon Robinson interview

headhunter

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The funny thing is that eliminating all of this won't help because most of his injuries occur during boring old plays from the pocket. Investing in a line that can handle a basic TE stunt on the other

True.  If you ask him what he is planning on having for lunch his answer would probably be "Lunch is an important meal.  I'll take a look at the menu and really weigh my options."

I mean he helped win us a couple games and is better than what we had in  Matt Cassell. Its about all you can ask for in a backup QB. 

34 minutes ago, TampaTitan said:

He's helped win us a couple of games by doing those things though, one was a playoff game. It's not like it was all for not. You have to respect that, that's what he gets paid to do.  

I think there are times in a game where it's acceptable.  Like the block against KC that you referenced.  The jump against the Bills that got them a crucial first down was another.  But in a blowout?  Don't throw your body into a defender.  Completely unnecessary.

@TitanDuckFanThat Jennings drop, and I actually like Darius so Im not trying to rip him, had a significant impact on Mariota's stats. He wound up throwing a TD of course & winning, but he threw  9 more passes, only completing 4 with a drop or two & throwaway I believe, after the drop. And he had exactly 20 less yards because of some runs. If Jennings had caught that he certainly would've scored & instead of putting up a still very impressive 30/43 344 2/1, it would've been a quite insane 27/36 364 2/1.

If just Jennings & next week Williams caught their 2 scores & Mariota didn't go back in the Miami game & throw 2 picks on 2 passes, he would've had over a 70% completion rate & over an 8 YPA 

4 minutes ago, Face said:

@TitanDuckFanThat Jennings drop, and I actually like Darius so Im not trying to rip him, had a significant impact on Mariota's stats. He wound up throwing a TD of course & winning, but he threw  9 more passes, only completing 4 with a drop or two & throwaway I believe, after the drop. And he had exactly 20 less yards because of some runs. If Jennings had caught that he certainly would've scored & instead of putting up a still very impressive 30/43 344 2/1, it would've been a quite insane 27/36 364 2/1.

If just Jennings & next week Williams caught their 2 scores & Mariota didn't go back in the Miami game & throw 2 picks on 2 passes, he would've had over a 70% completion rate & over an 8 YPA 

Everyone has drops. That shouldn't be an excuse for Mariota. I think he only had 3 dropped TDs this year, compared to like 6 last year, so that's an improvement. But the biggest issue was Mariota's nerve injury that lingered throughout the season. Other big issues were the pass protection that was awful relative to expectations and our group of inexperienced receivers.

JRob will really have to focus on the offense this offseason. . 

20 minutes ago, Face said:

This is why you can't take stats seriously.  They don't even come close to telling the whole story.

There's always context to stats but it works in the opposite direction too.  We all saw Mariota throw inaccurate passes (sometimes still caught) that either missed a scoring opportunity or ended a drive.  We also saw MM hold the ball and not throw to an open receiver or even one in tight coverage, take coverage sacks, or abandon the pass play for a run.  Scouts and analysts all discussed this quite a bit when dissecting the obvious question to most - why are MM's stats so pedestrian?

The problem with the Titans offense is the lack of scoring and specifically it's tied to the poor passing game.  That's where their numbers are at the bottom of the league in all of the pertinent categories - passing TD's, yardage, TD %, TD% in the red zone.  It's not all on Mariota by any means but a good portion of it is.  Yes I know he was injured but he had the same exact issue in 2017 without the nerve issue and with a different play caller.

1 hour ago, Face said:

Yeah well,...

Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

No one can say what would have happened, only what should have.  They should have caught those passes.

Like most, I just get tired of this team's woes being hung around one guys neck.

It's a bullshit lazy excuse that's getting passed off as "analysis."

28 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Yeah well,...

Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

No one can say what would have happened, only what should have.  They should have caught those passes.

Like most, I just get tired of this team's woes being hung around one guys neck.

It's a bullshit lazy excuse that's getting passed off as "analysis."

It's always easier to blame one guy than to accept that you have a systemic issue. 

Mariota has missed plenty of throws himself.  Even on one of the examples, Taylor had to fully extend to get his hands on it and it popped out when he hit the ground.  Throw it about a foot closer and he likely catches it cleanly.  But that's nitpicky and happens all of the time.  What about Taylor being wide open in the Jets game and Marcus missing him by 5 yards?  Or throwing an awful pick in the red zone in a 1 point loss to the Chargers?  Or the failed 2 point conversion pass in the same game?

It's not all on Mariota but some of it absolutely is. 

28 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Mariota has missed plenty of throws himself.  Even on one of the examples, Taylor had to fully extend to get his hands on it and it popped out when he hit the ground.  Throw it about a foot closer and he likely catches it cleanly.  But that's nitpicky and happens all of the time.  What about Taylor being wide open in the Jets game and Marcus missing him by 5 yards?  Or throwing an awful pick in the red zone in a 1 point loss to the Chargers?  Or the failed 2 point conversion pass in the same game?

It's not all on Mariota but some of it absolutely is. 

Some of it is fine.  Every QB misses targets and gets picked, and deserves criticism for it.  But one RZ pick in 4 seasons?  Srsly?  That's what you're choosing to bitch about?

The Taylor drop was every bit as inexcusable as any throw you mentioned.  If Marcus can be critiqued for being less than perfect because "he needs to make NFL throws" then his receivers can get it it for "not making NFL catches."  He got both hands on and under the ball.  Matthews makes that catch.  Hell, Wright makes that catch.

Add don't sugarcoat it, those 6 or 7 points meant the difference in the final score and puts the MIA game in the win column.

In short, QBs can't be "clutch" without receivers doing their job too.

What has gone on around here for the last two years is bullshit pure and simple.

Somebody has tried to make his prediction come true, and its lazy and stupid.

It amazes me that you guys can name the problem plays the way you just did.  Until I think about the fact that it happens rarely enough that it stands out to the point you can recall it months later, or even the following season.  If it was truly a common occurrence, those plays wouldn't hold any significance in your memory.

2 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Some of it is fine.  Every QB misses targets and gets picked, and deserves criticism for it.  But one RZ pick in 4 seasons?  Srsly?  That's what you're choosing to bitch about?

The Taylor drop was every bit as inexcusable as any throw you mentioned.  If Marcus can be critiqued for being less than perfect because "he needs to make NFL throws" then his receivers can get it it for "not making NFL catches."  He got both hands on and under the ball.  Matthews makes that catch.  Hell, Wright makes that catch.

Add don't sugarcoat it, those 6 or 7 points meant the difference in the final score and puts the MIA game in the win column.

In short, QBs can't be "clutch" without receivers doing their job too.

What has gone on around here for the last two years is bullshit pure and simple.

Somebody has tried to make his prediction come true, and its lazy and stupid.

It amazes me that you guys can name the problem plays the way you just did.  Until I think about the fact that it happens rarely enough that it stands out to the point you can recall it months later, or even the following season.  If it was truly a common occurrence, those plays wouldn't hold any significance in your memory.

Huh?  Williams drop vs Buffalo counts in a one point loss but Mariota throwing a bad pick in the red zone in a one point loss doesn't?   No one is disputing that receivers dropped passes.  But how is it that those count but bad throws don't?  And that doesn't even go into the plays left on the field that folks watching the all 22 see and talk about when discussing the offense.

I even said the Taylor play vs Miami is nitpicky but it still is true.  Also find it curious why you add 6 points there but ignore they kicked a FG on the very next play. 

Not everything is on Mariota but some of it absolutely is.