QB target: Tyrod Taylor

OILERMAN

6 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

If it was retarded we wouldn’t be in this situation. Mariota is not some elite passer. He has been a pretty average passer for the majority of his NFL career. 

What situation haha? We aren’t in “this”situation. Taylor is not coming here. I’d welcome him if so because he brings something gabbert doesn’t. But he’s awful with the ball. 

Mariotas only real real issue has been injury and you can’t jusge this season because he couldn’t grip a fucking football and still led us to some incredible wins and great comebacks. He’s as good throwing the ball as any QB in the league under 34

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I'm the Titans I'd go after Tyrod Taylor to back and even challenge/push Mariota.   I actually think they are pretty close to the same guy. Taylor is also the type of back-up that can com

If Taylor threatens MM then MM's not the answer anyway

This is your problem. you are projecting your feelings onto jrob and vrabel while ignoring whats right in front of you. The team has been upfront about Mariota needing rest not surgery to get healthy

Mariota makes plenty of good throws to go along with the bad ones. He is pretty much an average quality starting QB in the NFL.

If he could stay healthy, we’d be debating whether he’s worth a new big money QB contract. 

15 hours ago, AvgJoe said:

I'm fine with Taylor as a backup. But I'm hopeful Robinson makes a run at Foles, Bridgewater, and Mullens. 

With Gabbert being under contract for another year is there a cap hit if we cut bait?

16 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

If I'm the Titans I'd go after Tyrod Taylor to back and even challenge/push Mariota.

I actually think they are pretty close to the same guy. Taylor is also the type of back-up that can come in and run the same type of stuff Mariota runs as far as RPOs and QB deigned runs. In fact I think he's a better runner and maybe close to equal in regards to passing. 

If the plan is to run the ball, play defense and run the QB and use playaction he's the perfect match.

He took the Bills to the playoffs going 9-7 with a very similar type season as MM. 2800 yards, 14 passing TDs and 427 rushing yards and 4 TDs. He's even safer protecting the ball. 

I'd sign him to a two year deal as insurance in case MM has another mediocre season then you could let MM go and roll with Taylor worst case while the elusive search for a QB continues. 

If MM makes the jump then you have upgraded Gabbert imo 

Agree a 150%. I've always been a big Tyrod Taylor fan & feel he's been unappreciated over the years. He's obviously limited, every backup is. But he's a great runner & throws a beautiful deep ball. Most importantly he takes care of the ball. He's a perfect fit for the bootleg, vertical portion of our offense, 1st & 2nd down.

Parcells loved backup QB's that can run, he felt you could keep it simple by just using a small part of the playbook that fits & maybe you can steal a game or two with a few big scrambles. 

2 hours ago, oldschool said:

He's had 3 chances to stick as a starter. Who is going to sign him outright to start? It makes way more sense for him to take a backup role with a team that could lead to opportunities. The Titans offer just that. He won't be expensive either like a Flacco or Foles who will both be ahead of Taylor for starting jobs when FA opens. I agree signing him to compete with Mariota is stupid but you know oman had to throw some bullshit into his post. Afterall it was about Mariota. 

It's also somewhat ironic (given his concerns regarding Mariota) that he would suggest a slightly less skilled "clone" as the solution for the Titans back-up QB woes. Not that he's not a better option than Gabbert but, just saying...

Edited by enigma

I don’t follow the “injury prone” agenda. Plenty of qbs have missed more games than him. I would base my decision on how he plays. He shouldn’t get slack anymore. Hes not in year one or two. 

4 hours ago, scine09 said:

When the backup is playing a lot the team is going nowhere.  The Eagles are an extreme exception to that.

The Titans need a starting QB who can stay healthy.  Worrying about the backup is not the answer.  You build around Mariota and if he goes another season and can't stay healthy you think about drafting a different QB early who can stay on the field.

But scine, our starting QB can’t stay healthy and there isn’t a QB available to replace him. I think going with a guy like Taylor is a great idea. 

1 minute ago, japan said:

But scine, our starting QB can’t stay healthy and there isn’t a QB available to replace him. I think going with a guy like Taylor is a great idea. 

The point is they're not winning if a backup has to play a lot.  Like I said, the Eagles are an extremely rare exception.

2 minutes ago, scine09 said:

The point is they're not winning if a backup has to play a lot.  Like I said, the Eagles are an extremely rare exception.

You don’t think a guy like Taylor could have played better than Gabbert in that Colts game? We aren’t talking about bringing in Taylor to complete with Mariota. That being said I doubt that they go with Taylor. Who’s available who is familiar with the Shanny offense?

6 minutes ago, japan said:

4 minutes ago, scine09 said:

I don't even though you guys are disagreeing on anything at this point.

1 minute ago, japan said:

You don’t think a guy like Taylor could have played better than Gabbert in that Colts game? We aren’t talking about bringing in Taylor to complete with Mariota. That being said I doubt that they go with Taylor. Who’s available who is familiar with the Shanny offense?

Gabbert played worse than I expected.  I had hopes for him, particularly given the fact that he had all day to throw.  So of course Taylor would have been better.

Some people are saying he should come in to compete with Mariota.  If the Titans are looking at Taylor as some sort of answer at the position, even in the short term, then they're also looking at no chance to ever seriously compete.  With Mariota they won a playoff game, largely because of him.  That doesn't happen with Taylor.

4 hours ago, oldschool said:

I agree signing him to compete with Mariota is stupid but you know oman had to throw some bullshit into his post. Afterall it was about Mariota. 

It fits OMan's narrative of the Johnny football starter kit.  He knows Taylor isn't near the passer Marcus is, or at least should know.

He should also know his precious Mularkey is the one who wanted a running QB.  He was running Kordell's ass off before Marcus ever played H.S. football.

I don't think JRob and Vrabel see things the same way.

15 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Gabbert played worse than I expected.  I had hopes for him, particularly given the fact that he had all day to throw.  So of course Taylor would have been better.

Some people are saying he should come in to compete with Mariota.  If the Titans are looking at Taylor as some sort of answer at the position, even in the short term, then they're also looking at no chance to ever seriously compete.  With Mariota they won a playoff game, largely because of him.  That doesn't happen with Taylor.

I think declaring an open competition is a bad idea.

But I don't think it's impossible to imagine a scenario where Mariota's struggles to start the season, misses a few games due to an injury and Taylor fills in and the team's winning with him playing and there's a little discussion about what they should do.

4 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

It fits OMan's narrative of the Johnny football starter kit.  He knows Taylor isn't near the passer Marcus is, or at least should know.

He should also know his precious Mularkey is the one who wanted a running QB.  He was running Kordell's ass off before Marcus ever played H.S. football.

I don't think JRob and Vrabel see things the same way.

Mariota ran more than year than any time before both in raw numbers and a lot more if you look at his rush attemp to pass attempt ratio.