Round 5 Pick #140: Tajae Sharpe, WR, UMass

Mercalius

PFF likes him, for what that's worth:

Sharpe is a big target with reliable hands. He earned the fourth-highest receiving grade in the WR class and dropped just three of 115 catchable targets last season.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got a hunnuh dolla bill for every bump on you FACE! I got a hunnuh dolla bill for every bump on you FACE! I got a hunnuh dolla bill for every bump on you FACE! I got a hunnuh doll

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty impressed by the fact that this kid has a hunnah dolla bill for every bump on YA FACE

This conversation feels very familiar   *Cough*Tre McBride*Cough*

Sharpe doesn't seem like a guy why can be a star, but if you can get a long term #3 WR in the 5th round of the draft then that's pretty good.

We will just have to see how his high production at a lower level translates to the NFL. Plenty of high production WRs from major conferences have busted in the NFL, so there are no guarantees at WR...

Edited by Starkiller

When I watch his film he reminds me of a skinny Amari cooper. Now I'm not saying he is the next cooper so don't flip out. He makes it look effortless. His routes are smooth and he catches the ball with ease. He doesn't rely on speed to get open. He makes it hard to defend him because he can run all the routes. I think he will already be our #4 WR so making the jump to #3 or #2 in a year or two is a possibility.

Edited by CaliTitan3518

I do think Sharpe is likely the #4 Wr this season. Good route runners often contribute right away.

Douglas is probably cut. Hunter is iffy, but I think he could stick simply because he is the only guy with deep speed (assuming he still has it after getting hurt last year).

9 hours ago, Alcibiades said:

PFF likes him, for what that's worth:

Sharpe is money when he gets separation.  The problem is, I don't think he'll be able to do that consistently at the next level.  If he was a guy who was great at the high point or at least above average with contested catches I would be all for it.  As it is, i'm not disappointed but i'm not excited either.

Edited by Justafan

3 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Sharpe is money when he gets separation.  The problem is, I don't think he'll be able to do that consistently at the next level.  If he was a guy who was great at the high point or at least above average with contested catches I would be all for it.  As it is, i'm not disappointed but i'm not excited either.

Just curious

Are you going out on a limb with these concerns or do you have 100% belief he can't generate separation 

6 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Robinson: He gets open and he catches the ball

This is anti-Calico, Britt, Hunter type reaches

We will be going back to WR picked round 4-7

I just hope next year is exception and we draft Smith-Schuster whose gonna be a star

8 minutes ago, Kyle021 said:

Just curious

Are you going out on a limb with these concerns or do you have 100% belief he can't generate separation 

I've only watched him in two cutups.  He ran a bunch of go routes (not his best route) and come back routes.  His comeback route and slant route really is pretty good.  I think he'll make some plays underneath but his upside is limited.  He can probably get open running certain routes but he's never going to be a threat over the top and I think good CB's will shut him down.  

That opinion could easily change as I see him go against NFL talent in the preseason but i'm not excited about this pick.  

Edited by Justafan

Sharpe will not be an outside receiver.  He will be a slot receiver where beating the press will not be as big.  Number 1 requisite for a slot receiver is great hands.   He was drafted to do a single job.  Don't look at too deeply.  Later round picks are made for a specific job, if they exceed that...great.  But we need to change the way we look at players under JRob.  He gets it.  Players need to do their jobs well and in doing your job well, that makes you a superstar.  We don't need superstars for the job!

Yeah, and he's a possession guy in the slot, too. He probably will never be a great outside WR, though I suppose he could develop to take advantage of single coverage if DGB develops into a real threat. But he's the kind of guy that would be a really reliable third WR from the slot who just helps you pick up the first down when you need it. He's neither fast nor physically imposing, but he's got good height and awareness and great hands. Perfect for picking up the first down in those situations where the defense is concentrating on the outside guys.