Round 5 Pick #140: Tajae Sharpe, WR, UMass

Mercalius

16 hours ago, Justafan said:

I've only watched him in two cutups.  He ran a bunch of go routes (not his best route) and come back routes.  His comeback route and slant route really is pretty good.  I think he'll make some plays underneath but his upside is limited.  He can probably get open running certain routes but he's never going to be a threat over the top and I think good CB's will shut him down.  

That opinion could easily change as I see him go against NFL talent in the preseason but i'm not excited about this pick.  

I agree that I dont see him getting much separation on the outside. I think he will be fine against press. I watched the ND game and he got open a few times deep on the outside but his QB just couldnt hit him. He is rarely going to go against elite shutdown CBs so that doesnt worry me. He will be the most successful in the slot as a possession WR. You just have to use his skill set the right way and he can be successful. He was super productive averaging over 9 catches a game and leading the nation with 111 receptions. Keep him in the slot let him work underneath routes and he could develop into a solid 3rd WR. Jarvis Landry is making a hell of a career doing it. Umass QB missed a lot of open throws so its pretty impressive he put up 111 receptions.

Edited by CaliTitan3518

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got a hunnuh dolla bill for every bump on you FACE! I got a hunnuh dolla bill for every bump on you FACE! I got a hunnuh dolla bill for every bump on you FACE! I got a hunnuh doll

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty impressed by the fact that this kid has a hunnah dolla bill for every bump on YA FACE

This conversation feels very familiar   *Cough*Tre McBride*Cough*

19 hours ago, Righteous said:

Sharpe will not be an outside receiver.  He will be a slot receiver where beating the press will not be as big.  Number 1 requisite for a slot receiver is great hands.   He was drafted to do a single job.  Don't look at too deeply.  Later round picks are made for a specific job, if they exceed that...great.  But we need to change the way we look at players under JRob.  He gets it.  Players need to do their jobs well and in doing your job well, that makes you a superstar.  We don't need superstars for the job!

Remember the days when our coaches looked at WR's as "interchangeable"?

Just got around to actually looking at some evals on this guys. Very much like what they have to say about Sharpe

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/tajae-sharpe?id=2555317

Sharpe has the athleticism, hands and feel for space to work from the slot and the size and route acumen to work outside

Perfect type of WR for MM's strength. I hope he reaches his potential.

I never thought Damien Williams would amount to shit, and Tre McBride couldn't even get separation in college. This Sharpe dude is sure handed and streaking past safeties. You never know how players will pan out, but he's definitely a better prospect than both those guys.

If he is a great route runner already and gets good coaching, it sounds like he can get open in the NFL, esp with Mariota's accuracy.  Then if he truly has good hands he should be productive. Probably needs a ton of reps though with the big jump in quality of CBs he'll face in the NFL.

Yeah, Sharpe still seems like a slot guy to me. He's tall, but he's rail thin. I think he'd get pushed around on the outside. Maybe his sophomore season, once he's hit the weight room a bit. Meanwhile, he's shifty enough and seems to have decent feel for route running, which we could use in the slot. Besides, if he's an outside guy, then he isn't likely to get on the field much, behind Matthews and DGB. I guess Wright is in the slot this year? Or will he be outside? 

23 minutes ago, Righteous said:

Let's not get caught up in myths about the size of slot receivers.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/20/top-10-slot-receivers-this-season/

Fitzgerald, Boldin,  and Decker were all unquestionably primarily outside receivers WAY before they started getting slot work. While Jordan Matthews did play 90% of his snaps in the slot last season, he's being moved to the outside this season and rightfully so. Sanu HAD to play in the slot because both AJ Green and Marvin Jones were better than him and he just got paid $32 million which pretty much tells you he's going to be playing outside in ATL. .Doug Baldwin, Randall Cobb, Jamison Crowder, Jarvis Landry, and Golden Tate are all under 6'0 which in the NFL is well within the height range for a slot (5'5"-6'0) so they actually hurt your argument.  

Playing well out of the slot doesn't make you a slot receiver. You typically play your bigger guys outside and your smaller guys inside. Same with corners. I'm not sure why you're arguing this point. Assuming that a 6'2" receiver is viewed as more of an outside guy is well within reason.

21 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Fitzgerald, Boldin,  and Decker were all unquestionably primarily outside receivers WAY before they started getting slot work. While Jordan Matthews did play 90% of his snaps in the slot last season, he's being moved to the outside this season and rightfully so. Sanu HAD to play in the slot because both AJ Green and Marvin Jones were better than him and he just got paid $32 million which pretty much tells you he's going to be playing outside in ATL. .Doug Baldwin, Randall Cobb, Jamison Crowder, Jarvis Landry, and Golden Tate are all under 6'0 which in the NFL is well within the height range for a slot (5'5"-6'0) so they actually hurt your argument.  

Playing well out of the slot doesn't make you a slot receiver. You typically play your bigger guys outside and your smaller guys inside. Same with corners. I'm not sure why you're arguing this point. Assuming that a 6'2" receiver is viewed as more of an outside guy is well within reason.

It doesn't hurt my argument.  If 50% of the top slots are 6' or above, then how would anyone assume that you must be shorter to play the slot?   Seems like to me size doesn't matter.  

Edited by Righteous

2 minutes ago, Righteous said:

It doesn't hurt my argument.  If 50% of the top slots are 6' or above, then how would anyone assume that you must be shorter to play the slot?   Seems like to me size doesn't matter.  

This is where we disconnect. My stance was never that because Sharpe is 6'2" he can't play in the slot. I only said that it makes sense that we would play him outside because that is where taller guys typically play. There are of course exceptions but by and large if you're under 6'0 you're pretty quickly labeled a slot. The fact that there have been outside-type guys who have had success outside does not defeat this fact. Desean Jackson has had a lot of success as an outside receiver in his career but 5'10" 175. Those 50% of tops slots you reference aren't true slots. They're outside receivers that are currently playing a lot of slot. It may seem like I'm playing semantics but I'm not. Their ability to effectively play as outside receivers differentiate them from true slots who typically can't. 

7 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

This is where we disconnect. My stance was never that because Sharpe is 6'2" he can't play in the slot. I only said that it makes sense that we would play him outside because that is where taller guys typically play. There are of course exceptions but by and large if you're under 6'0 you're pretty quickly labeled a slot. The fact that there have been outside-type guys who have had success outside does not defeat this fact. Desean Jackson has had a lot of success as an outside receiver in his career but 5'10" 175. Those 50% of tops slots you reference aren't true slots. They're outside receivers that are currently playing a lot of slot. It may seem like I'm playing semantics but I'm not. Their ability to effectively play as outside receivers differentiate them from true slots who typically can't. 

Why aren't they true slots?  Because they are above 6'?  I guess Steve Smith and Antonio Brown aren't true outside receivers because they are shorter than 6'?  The fact remains that you don't have to be short to play the slot.  Proven by the numbers.  How well has Kendall Wright performed in the slot, compare to him on the outside?  In Arizona, Larry Fitzgerald at 6'3" plays in the slot and John Brown at 5'10" plays on the outside.   Bruce Arians must be an idiot, huh?  My point is simple and remains clear...you put players where they create mismatches and excel, regardless of size.  Miscasting a player based on height is simply ridiculous.