Vrabel named Titans HC

socaltitan

1 minute ago, big2033 said:

Exactly. WIlks might get hired because of it. Go back 10 years and I don't see it happening.

I hope that we really took a serious look at that guy because at least on paper it seemed to me that he brought more to the table than Vrabel in every category save for name recognition.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow. Only interviewed 3. Vrabel must have been the guy all along.    Lets see who he picks as coordinators.

One of the funniest tweets from Vrabel's Houston days.    

@tgo  

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, big2033 said:

It's the reason the Rooney Rule has to exist.

For whatever reason in the U.S. people aren't growing up the same culturally despite living in the same parts of the U.S.

So you almost have to force them together to break the ice.

But, you still have the old-guard who grew up in certain circles, running things, so sometimes there's a disconnect. 

The Rooney Rule is to break the comfort zone. 

Im not talking about the rooney rule. Brooks is making a leap he shouldn't just because Wilks wasn't the choice.

Just now, oldschool said:

Im not talking about the rooney rule. Brooks is making a leap he shouldn't just because Wilks wasn't the choice.

I agree if that's 100% what he's implying, that he's making too big a leap.

But in terms of minorities not getting hired because they aren't in the proper circles. That's an America thing more than an NFL thing. 

23 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Brooks is right but it's not a revelation and it applies to all jobs. Most people get hired through some type of networking and who they know

39 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Exactly. WIlks might get hired because of it. Go back 10 years and I don't see it happening.

Well this is exactly why Tomlin was hired.  And that was more than 10 years ago.

I think the rule does work in that it gets people in front of decision makers whereas without it they wouldn't get that chance.  At the same time it's disrespectful.  I can see both sides of the argument.  

Edited by scine09

Honestly I don't think this hire has anything to do with Mariota. 

I think Robinson wanted complete control and has his own idea of how the team should operate from top to bottom and he wanted to be the one calling all the shots. This probably started a lot sooner than anyone knows. I also think Robinson knew he was going to hire Vrabel all along. I think it was Albert Breer who posted don't be surprised if McDaniels is not who Robinson was targeting. Josh McDaniel is probably too far up the food chain and might butt heads with Robinson, Vrabel is likely more willing to follow Robinson's lead. 

Vrabel got a 5 year deal, this is  along term plan. 

I'm personally happy Robinson is the top of the chain of command. He's definitely taking all the risks and anything that happens with this team is likely because he decided on it. I'd guess if LeBeau is kept it's because Robinson wanted it. 

2 hours ago, scine09 said:

Here's a nugget I read in an article this morning from the Patriots ESPN beat writer:

8. The Titans' decision Saturday to hire Mike Vrabel as head coach sparked thoughts of something Belichick reflected on a few years back. When Vrabel played for Belichick in 2001-08, Belichick said the idea of Vrabel going into coaching was obvious. "Mike and I talked about that a lot," Belichick said in 2015. "He'd give me advice and I'd say, 'Mike, when you're a coach, you should go ahead and do that. Here's why we're not going to do that.' Or [it was,] 'That's a great idea. We can do that. I'm glad you brought that up.' Mike's not afraid to make a suggestion. ... Mike's got a great mind for it, a great passion for it." Vrabel's Titans will host the Patriots next season.

I read this earlier and figured everyone had just dismissed it.  BB's breakdown of the Titans before our game showed he clearly knew what he was saying.  The guy doesn't just talk of the top of his head.  JRob has direct access to him and I imagine had several convo's with him since the Arizona game.  

This a move to the future.  They will improve the team together.  We sit on our sofas weekly and know the next play calls.  We also are pretty sure a different attack would be better.  We now have a different attack coming.  The players beat Jax in the last game.  It wasn't Mularkey's game plan.  That's how talented this team is.  The coaches are running plays like the Silkymooch at a crucial time in a playoff game.  

Jayon Brown.  We can't fill every hole.  I wonder if Vrabel might relate to him and get more than we expect out of him.

53 minutes ago, big2033 said:

The Rooney Rule is to break the comfort zone. 

Interviewing people that you have no intention of hiring is not an uncomfortable experience, so the Rooney Rule doesn't break any comfort zones.

Plus the league does not require melanin tests to prove adherence to the Rooney Rule anyway.

Edited by Denali

7 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Relax Francis, you realize there is a lot of joking on here right? Retard

Only losers even joke about fucking someone else's wife. Especially when they are married. 

Why not joke about screwing their daughters or in your case their sons also? Loser

Edited by LongTimeFan

2 minutes ago, Denali said:

Interviewing people that you have no intention of hiring is not an uncomfortable experience, so the Rooney Rule doesn't break any comfort zones.

Plus the league does not require melanin tests to prove adherence to the Rooney Rule anyway.

Who says you have no intention of hiring them? Not every team does what the Titans do - a coaching search when they already know who the coach is.

There are times where team's don't know who their next coach will be and therefore will adhere to the Rooney Rule and be surprised. 

The Rooney Rule is not about melanin either.

• Jonboy unpinned this topic