The Game of Thrones

OILERMAN

Geek culture has made major inroads into pop culture nowadays, between video games, scifi, fantasy, and superheroes. I think a large reason why, fittingly, is the advance of technology. Believable special effects today could not have been replicated a few years ago. And geek-type stories on screen often depend on being able to sell the vision.

The stories have always been good in books, but computer effects were necessary to pull it off well on screen. Now, as long as there's a good story, Hollywood can make it work in a screen as long as there's a budget for it.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well for anyone who cares to read this, here are my (lengthy) thoughts now that I’ve had a chance to sleep on it.   I’ll start by saying I'm not sure I've ever been more hyped for an episode

I loved the fact that Theon won his fight cause he has no dick. Haha

Posted Images

Another one I gave up on years ago that I should probably pick back up some day

Haven't finished it... I think I got seven in, maybe.  From what I recall, it was mediocre after a few books, then the new author supposedly didn't hit stride until the end.  I might get to it eventually... but I don't think anyone should feel obligated.  14 books and a lot of fluff, imo.

Geek culture has made major inroads into pop culture nowadays, between video games, scifi, fantasy, and superheroes. I think a large reason why, fittingly, is the advance of technology. Believable special effects today could not have been replicated a few years ago. And geek-type stories on screen often depend on being able to sell the vision.

The stories have always been good in books, but computer effects were necessary to pull it off well on screen. Now, as long as there's a good story, Hollywood can make it work in a screen as long as there's a budget for it.

I'd buy that for sure. A lot more people grow up with technology which basically fosters the nerd image too.

And you can't really understate that the main forum for all activities these days (online) is still mostly headlined by Geek culture.  I'd imagine over time that will devolve into more typically trendy standards, but as is now - geeks create/distribute/influence 90% of the the things we see, read, and are influenced by online.  Memes, references to certain pop culture, and even interaction with one's peers forces your to adapt to and embrace quirky, nerdy things that the average person may not have adopted 20 years ago.  You can't visit mainstream social websites without seeing a plethora of Futurama, Firely, Buffy, Game of Thrones, WoW, Dr. Who etc type references that you're either forced to understand (and eventually embrace) or usher yourself away from that community altogether - all of those things, outside of an online presence, would factor in as "niche" interests for most people, something  a random person probably woundn't naturally assume a total stranger in the real world had any knowledge/interest in - yet, online, where most of our real interaction and social development seems to stem from these days - they're all staples.  In the real word, and in real-time when they aired, many of them were ignored and have since been forgotten, but once you launch an Internet browser, they have far more relevance than 95% of other shows/mediums that outperformed them in ratings and earnings.

Online everything is a geek-inspired, geek developed, and geek-influenced world that everyone has started to embrace going on well over a decade now.  We've replaced so many traditional "real" activities with online versions that it's only natural that the mentality has permeated the culture.  Advancements in technology/CGI have helped this, naturally, but it's also gone hand-in-hand for mass-output demands from vocal groups and fanbases when certain IP's are translated to film/television.  15-20 years ago, who would've given a shit if they butchered an Avengers movie?  They did plenty of similar things in the 80s/90's.  Nowadays, from the ground up, every project is critiqued, ridiculed, and often stopped dead in its tracks before it even begins if the feedback (largely based from the geek populace) doesn't approve.  It's a cultural shift that will probably even itself out over time, but as for now, it's definitely been trending towards the glasses-donning ones influencing pretty much everything.

Even though I hate it, would you have imagined 20 years ago that a show like The Big Bang Theory would be one of the biggest televisions shows on the market?  Breaking Bad, which I love, - is basically about a science nerd trying to do right by his family, and without those nerdy elements probably wouldn't have taken off the way it did.  Zombies, time-travel, medieval themes - these are the tropes that are relevant now.  Even a show like Community, which maybe should've been canceled years ago based on ratings alone, didn't have the plug pulled based largely on its devoted online fanbase.  It's an interesting observation, and as a nerdy guy myself, one that I'm glad I'm experiencing as it happens.

Edited by Mercalius

^ This. I keep hearing people say the show does the book justice and it simply isn't true. There is far too much content in the books to fit into a Tv show. I still love the show and am surprised it's as good as it is but it is not a replacement for the book series.

I agree. A tv series can do a better job than a movie, but these books are so large even a 10 hour series in not enough.

I don't know anything about the books but HBO is doing a great job on this series

The series is awesome. I have watched every episode more than once. This season is kickass. I listen to audio books. Each GOT audio book is 37+ hours long.

Awesome miniseries coming "Under the Dome" by Stephen King.

^ This. I keep hearing people say the show does the book justice and it simply isn't true. There is far too much content in the books to fit into a Tv show. I still love the show and am surprised it's as good as it is but it is not a replacement for the book series.

doing the book justice /= replacement for the books

And you can't really understate that the main forum for all activities these days (online) is still mostly headlined by Geek culture.  I'd imagine over time that will devolve into more typically trendy standards, but as is now - geeks create/distribute/influence 90% of the the things we see, read, and are influenced by online.  Memes, references to certain pop culture, and even interaction with one's peers forces your to adapt to and embrace quirky, nerdy things that the average person may not have adopted 20 years ago.  You can't visit mainstream social websites without seeing a plethora of Futurama, Firely, Buffy, Game of Thrones, WoW, Dr. Who etc type references that you're either forced to understand (and eventually embrace) or usher yourself away from that community altogether - all of those things, outside of an online presence, would factor in as "niche" interests for most people, something  a random person probably woundn't naturally assume a total stranger in the real world had any knowledge/interest in - yet, online, where most of our real interaction and social development seems to stem from these days - they're all staples.  In the real word, and in real-time when they aired, many of them were ignored and have since been forgotten, but once you launch an Internet browser, they have far more relevance than 95% of other shows/mediums that outperformed them in ratings and earnings.

Online everything is a geek-inspired, geek developed, and geek-influenced world that everyone has started to embrace going on well over a decade now.  We've replaced so many traditional "real" activities with online versions that it's only natural that the mentality has permeated the culture.  Advancements in technology/CGI have helped this, naturally, but it's also gone hand-in-hand for mass-output demands from vocal groups and fanbases when certain IP's are translated to film/television.  15-20 years ago, who would've given a shit if they butchered an Avengers movie?  They did plenty of similar things in the 80s/90's.  Nowadays, from the ground up, every project is critiqued, ridiculed, and often stopped dead in its tracks before it even begins if the feedback (largely based from the geek populace) doesn't approve.  It's a cultural shift that will probably even itself out over time, but as for now, it's definitely been trending towards the glasses-donning ones influencing pretty much everything.

Even though I hate it, would you have imagined 20 years ago that a show like The Big Bang Theory would be one of the biggest televisions shows on the market?  Breaking Bad, which I love, - is basically about a science nerd trying to do right by his family, and without those nerdy elements probably wouldn't have taken off the way it did.  Zombies, time-travel, medieval themes - these are the tropes that are relevant now.  Even a show like Community, which maybe should've been canceled years ago based on ratings alone, didn't have the plug pulled based largely on its devoted online fanbase.  It's an interesting observation, and as a nerdy guy myself, one that I'm glad I'm experiencing as it happens.

Basically technology is taking the need for semi-complicated thought and effort out of geek culture and b/c of that the masses are getting more exposed to it and eating it up. Don't have to read the stories anymore b/c they're movies so more people are getting exposed to them. Computers and online gaming is becoming easier to use and set up so more people are using it.

doing the book justice /= replacement for the books

Think about the context of how justice is being used and then get back to me.

They could cut 90% of Danaerys' story and it would only improve things.

Couldn't agree more. I find her one of the most boring characters. The only thing that makes her somewhat interesting is she has the dragons. That and she gets her tits out

Danaery is the biggest threat to the current realm, She is also the true heir to the thrown. It would be ridiculous to erase her character.

She's marching towards King's Landing while growing her army with loyal freed slaves, she also happens to have 3 dragons. Oh and the next biggest threat is probably the red headed chick who worships the Fire God and can kill people with fire babies. Danaery cannot be killed by fire.

She has also turned into a bad ass. The best scene so far might be her dragon roasting that guy who didn't think she could understand what he was saying about her.

I've noticed the show has started to rely more and more on intense scenes you kinda already know the outcome of (the cliff hanging, the bear fight, I can see one coming up with Dog and the girl). It's definitely not predictable as a whole but things are starting to get a little convenient in spots. I'm sure soon enough there will be a shock death or something though.

Oh, and only Game of Thrones could get away with a torture threesome.

Danaery is the biggest threat to the current realm, She is also the true heir to the thrown. It would be ridiculous to erase her character.

She's marching towards King's Landing while growing her army with loyal freed slaves, she also happens to have 3 dragons. Oh and the next biggest threat is probably the red headed chick who worships the Fire God and can kill people with fire babies. Danaery cannot be killed by fire.

She has also turned into a bad ass. The best scene so far might be her dragon roasting that guy who didn't think she could understand what he was saying about her.

Fair enough... but you might change you mind after awhile on some of that.