OILERMAN

The Game of Thrones

The most boring character is easily Sansa Stark(sp?).

Up till now she has done nothing other than be an attractive young woman.

Edited by WG53

The most boring character is easily Sansa Stark(sp?).

Up till now she has done nothing other than be an attractive young women.

I assume the point w/ her is to develop her from nothing more than an attractive court woman to a pretty strong character more like her mother but I don't remember the books well enough to know if they developed her more in them and it's just left out in the show or if they just didn't do much w/ her yet.

Sansa was a stupid and fairly minor character in the books (at least up to this point in the show) too, though less prissy and more head over heels in love with the idea and prestige of courtly ladyship / princess dreamworld status.

The love / duty switcheroo on Robb changes the nature of his character dramatically, I think. Not nearly as bad as the Knight of Flowers change-up, but still a big change in overall feel.  After that change in nature, I probably won't mind as much in the TV show when Robb decides to sell his sisters and mother into slavery, shave his head and begin a second life as a travelling minstrel in Pentos. :ph34r:

I don't think the change with Robb affects the story all that much, honestly. And as they had to edit the story down, removing the Westerlings was a pretty easy way to cut without affecting the important parts of the series.

As for Sansa, I'd say she's a critical character even if she isn't all that interesting herself. She is what ties the Starks' story to Kings Landing. And as Tywin points out in a recent episode, she could be the key to controlling the North. If Robb's war fails and with his brothers thought to be dead, whoever marries Sansa becomes the Warden of the North and essentially replaces House Stark. Hopefully the character gets more interesting, but she is clearly a key figure even if just by association.

Edited by Starkiller

Sansa is key, yes. Featured, not really. WG53 is right and in terms of Reo's wondering... it's fairly consistent with the books to the best of my recollection.

Robb's change doesn't alter the story, but it changes the character of Robb. A marriage to any non-Frey serves the same purpose in the story-telling... but doesn't keep his basic nature as a leader intact. Good or bad, he is a different sort of leader depending on who and why he marries a non-Frey.  Not that it matters overly much, but it is what it is... which is different.

But what happens around her is really the point.

Her little sister is far more fun, but what does it bring to the story? That remains to be seen.

Did somebody say Arya? 

35jl15i.jpg

The Jeyne Westerling in the TV series has an ass to die for. I would use it as a nose warmer.

A few notes: @ @Jamalisms

#1. Knight of Flowers was supposed to be the "next Jaime" in terms of skill and swoon factor. GRRM only alluded to him being gay in the 3rd book where IIRC Jaime threatens him saying something to the effect "I'll stick a sword so far up your ass Renly could never find." He also willingly takes the Kingsguard (they are supposed to be have no children, no wife, etc) at the age of 16 or so, just like Jaime. Jaime did it to be close to his lover/sister. Why would Loras? 

I do wish they made it a little bit more ambiguous, but HBO is gonna HBO. 

#2. Robb married Jeyne Westerling, daughter of a Lannister bannerman. This happened after he was wounded during his campaign to sack Lannisport. She treats his wounds, gives him some nookie, and he decides to do the "noble" thing. He weds her instead of leaving her like he believes his father did with Jon's mother. 

HBO wanted to make the character more exotic, just like they did with Shae. In the books Jeyne Westerling is a normal, cute, shy girl. Also, If they made her a Westerling in the tv show, they'd have to introduce Raynald (the father), and a lot of the intrigue surrounding a Lannister bannerman helping a Stark for no other reason than his daughter slept with him. Without knowing what happens next, it would seem implausible to see why he would allow it. Lannisters always pay their debts, and Raynald would know that his family would end up like the Reynes of Castamere. 

So to bypass all of that, instead of Jeyne Westerling, you get Lady Tylisa from Volantis. No ties to Westeros, no family, no further intrigue. It makes the story simpler, and easier to keep track of. 

Great post that doesn't really spoil anything. Thanks.

I was reading up and GRRM is releasing a book of Tyrion quite this year and has said he won't e rushed on book 6 and people will need to be patient.

As I jump into season two and knowing they're in season 3 already, how are they logistically going to keep producing shows without running out of book content? As chance he has the show pass the books, then releases the books afterwards? If not, they'll have to slow way down with eating up content or he'll have to write faster than he's letting on.

Thoughts anyone?

Well, season 3 is only the first half of book 3. So at that rate, the series will last 12 seasons (if each of book 3-7 is split).

Of course, Aria and Sansa will look like they are in their 20's by the time the series ends...

Edited by Starkiller

Of course, Aria and Sansa will look like they are in their 20's by the time the series ends...

And when I do I'll be flicking my tongue at them.

Well, season 3 is only the first half of book 3. So at that rate, the series will last 12 seasons (if each of book 3-7 is split).

That makes more sense, but at the same time doesn't make sense. I figured they'd have to stop doing a book per season but you can only have these children as children for so long. The timetable of how this unfolds will be interesting.