OILERMAN

The Game of Thrones

I don't watch the show but I stumbled across a quick recap of what happened in this past episode. Interesting to see who is still alive... you guys haven't even gotten to some of the stuff that truly surprised me.

I need to re-read the books. I feel like som of the storylines are overlapping in the wrong places, but it's only been about a decade since that bastard put this shit out.

reo   

I don't watch the show but I stumbled across a quick recap of what happened in this past episode. Interesting to see who is still alive... you guys haven't even gotten to some of the stuff that truly surprised me.

I need to re-read the books. I feel like som of the storylines are overlapping in the wrong places, but it's only been about a decade since that bastard put this shit out.

I was thinking they were overlapping oddly too all the way back when I was watching season 1 but it's been so long since I read them that I wasn't sure. They've been able to stick pretty close to the books enough that 3 seasons/books in and they're still following it pretty closely so I assume I was wrong in that thinking.

I was talking to Prag about your other point just the other day. w/o spoiling anything by saying names, Martin is an author who, I believe, has a few characters central to his plot but he's got so many side characters that are well developed that he can kill off almost at will that it's hard to spot his main ones. I think I've got a decent idea of who his main ones are by now but I'm not 100% sure.

On books versus show, the show is following the books pretty close but diverging in significant ways.  Most if not all of the divergence is doing nothing but helping Martin's meandering story that adds too many characters, and making for better overall TV.  And while the divergances have been significant, they have stayed very true to the theme and feel of the books, which is probably why you don't notice if you haven't read the books in some time.

There are already several instances where two charcters have been combined into one, and lengthy stuff written straight out of the show.  Danaerys's story is where they seem to be taking the most liberties with tightening it up and truncating it, but I am cool with anything they do there because some of that stuff was brutal in the books.  I have a feeling as they go forward you will see large parts lopped straight off of her story.

The books are so big, there is just no way to fit them all into a TV series without some editing. But the show has done a great job of that editing when they needed to. I wonder how much Martin has an input into those edits. After all, he is still the only one who knows how it all will turn out in the books. Unless he told the show runners everything, anyway.

Season 1 was very consistent with the book. The real divergences began with season 2. I'm sure they will continue.

Alpha   

Sometimes, this is how I feel when I hear about game of thrones from the plebeian masses.

I started reading the books in 2003 (at the age of 14), and have had to wait for so long for ADWD... 

Edited by Alpha

chef   

Nice to see good ol'Isaac get a mention. I was a huge Asimov fan in general, and the Foundation trilogy specifically.  Much like Tolkien did for high fantasy, Asimov laid a significant part of the foundation (heh heh) for futuristic sci-fi lit and movies down the road, especially with regards to concept of robotics and AI self-awareness.  May not quite be Wells or Verne, but he's right behind them, along with Clarke and Bradbury.

Have not read any of the Game of Thrones novels yet.  Been enjoying watching the show.  Just about the only TV series I've watched the past few years.   Free time to read lengthy books is much scarcer these days than it was 27 or so years ago. 

Sometimes, this is how I feel when I hear about game of thrones from the plebeian masses.

I started reading the books in 2003 (at the age of 14), and have had to wait for so long for ADWD... 

I've got you beat. I picked up Eye of the world (Book 1 of the Wheel of Time) in '93 as a 14 a year old. I just finished the series with Book 14 last month. 20 years and two authors later, It was finally over.

The books are so big, there is just no way to fit them all into a TV series without some editing. But the show has done a great job of that editing when they needed to. I wonder how much Martin has an input into those edits. After all, he is still the only one who knows how it all will turn out in the books. Unless he told the show runners everything, anyway.

Season 1 was very consistent with the book. The real divergences began with season 2. I'm sure they will continue.

^ This. I keep hearing people say the show does the book justice and it simply isn't true. There is far too much content in the books to fit into a Tv show. I still love the show and am surprised it's as good as it is but it is not a replacement for the book series.

Edited by oldschool

reo   

I've got you beat. I picked up Eye of the world (Book 1 of the Wheel of Time) in '93 as a 14 a year old. I just finished the series with Book 14 last month. 20 years and two authors later, It was finally over.

Another one I gave up on years ago that I should probably pick back up some day