Our championship window is closing.

luvyablue256

I'm revisiting this. It may be closing,  but that plus the age of the roster, and general aggressive personality of Jon Robinson probably means we try to swing another homerun this offseason. We're not rebuilding until at least after the 2023-24 season.

We're absolutely going to keep our key free agents. And let go of some tougher contracts such as Saffold, Jenkins and maybe even Kern, but I think if another opportunity presents itself to improve we will go for it. 

And as I said in another thread, the business interests of the team and city development dictate we remain competitive and popular.

Edited by titansfan

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its highly likely with this iteration of the team that they blew their best chance at winning a Super Bowl last season

The window is tied to how long Tannehill can play at a high level 

Keep up with the name calling, fuckhead.    I’ll say this again: you add nothing of value here and no one with half a brain reads through your angst-filled hatemongering, arrogant, bigoted d

Posted Images

In a way, I think making the playoffs in 2019 hurt the Titans long term success.  They overachieved that year.  At the end of the season, they may have walked on Tannehill or his price would have been lower.  Missing the playoffs may have caused them to treat the Henry situation differently.

You either have to suck, or trade aggressively if you are going to draft a true QBOTF.  I know you guys feel like you struck out with Mariota, but it would have been better to see that through and have drafted a new QB in 2020.

Prior to Mahomes, the Chiefs last drafted a first round QB in 1983.  They drafted Todd Blackledge over Dan Marino.

They had some success with retreads.  Made the AFCCG with Joe Montana.  They had the #1 seed with Steve Bono, and Elvis Grbac.   They had a high flying offense with Trent Green.  They even had Alex Smith who took them to the playoffs 4 out of 5 years and he never had a losing season.  

And, any of those teams 'could' have won a championship if everything worked out just right.  The problem is that having an average-good QB makes the margin of error too small.

The 2019 Chiefs had three deficits of 10 points or more and won every game by double digits.  Guys like Alex Smith, Trent Green and Tannehill just can't do that.

The Titans have to work to get their franchise QB.  Whatever it takes.

On 1/22/2022 at 6:44 PM, titansfan said:

We are capped by our QB-- you cant trust him. Henry with this current edition of the oline has maybe 1-2 years of high level play left before we got to start changing out pieces. And the bill for these past two years is coming the next two years. 

Then we move on with foreman,titans should've had him split carries with Henry anyways,maybe we would've won the game against the Bengals

1 minute ago, Mays.clinton said:

Then we move on with foreman,titans should've had him split carries with Henry anyways,maybe we would've won the game against the Bengals

You guys have really overrated Foreman in the past few weeks especially considering he was pulled in favor of Hilliard in the final game of the regular season 

It is probably closed but I'm guessing it won't be treated as such by JR until they move on from Henry. The titans need a modern passing offense and that comes with a lead back who can play 3 downs and run real routes.

On 1/22/2022 at 8:38 PM, Th3Ch0senTitan said:

We wouldn’t of beat the chiefs or the bills 

You don't know that!!!!! We would've beaten the Bengals if we stayed who we were and ran the ball down there throats, passing the ball the first play of the game and that interception was not good, passing the ball on 1st and goal after foreman ran over 40 yards and getting picked off on top of that was even more unsettling,and that last interception into double coverage had me in tears, smh

5 minutes ago, titansfan said:

You guys have really overrated Foreman in the past few weeks especially considering he was pulled in favor of Hilliard in the final game of the regular season 

Then why didn't the coach play Hillard, all I'm saying is we have more backs on this Damm team besides Henry who didn't do mostly anything all game because he was still hurt or seemed slow from the injury that he had, vrabel could have mixed things up in the running game

On 1/22/2022 at 8:38 PM, Th3Ch0senTitan said:

We wouldn’t of beat the chiefs or the bills 

I would like to have seen this defense face either of them in the playoffs.  I really thought they could slow them down enough for us to outscore them.  Playoff level Titans D vs playoff level Mahomes.  I'd just love to see it.  I think some mouthpieces would pop out.

On 1/22/2022 at 8:00 PM, headhunter said:

It's not closed. We have about evey player under contract on defense. We need to figure out QB and we have Brown and our Rb situation like fine. 

You were on tannehills nutsack all season, even insulting posters who were against him.

Now you want a QB upgrade? Interesting 

After taking a few days to think about this, you have to ride out Tannehill, Lewan, Julio etc one more year and then cut bate afterwards. We just don’t have enough flexibility to move off of those guys this year. Sure we save money losing lewan but what would we get in return? 

I think you make sure you lock up AJ, Simmons, and Landry long term and then approach this next year as the last dance with this older core. If it doesn’t work you move off of Tannehill, Lewan, and any other aging player going into 2023 and build around the young core and a young qb. 

Edited by Thrill

21 hours ago, dcblanton said:

In a way, I think making the playoffs in 2019 hurt the Titans long term success.  They overachieved that year.  At the end of the season, they may have walked on Tannehill or his price would have been lower.  Missing the playoffs may have caused them to treat the Henry situation differently.

You either have to suck, or trade aggressively if you are going to draft a true QBOTF.  I know you guys feel like you struck out with Mariota, but it would have been better to see that through and have drafted a new QB in 2020.

Prior to Mahomes, the Chiefs last drafted a first round QB in 1983.  They drafted Todd Blackledge over Dan Marino.

They had some success with retreads.  Made the AFCCG with Joe Montana.  They had the #1 seed with Steve Bono, and Elvis Grbac.   They had a high flying offense with Trent Green.  They even had Alex Smith who took them to the playoffs 4 out of 5 years and he never had a losing season.  

And, any of those teams 'could' have won a championship if everything worked out just right.  The problem is that having an average-good QB makes the margin of error too small.

The 2019 Chiefs had three deficits of 10 points or more and won every game by double digits.  Guys like Alex Smith, Trent Green and Tannehill just can't do that.

I think you are spot on. 

Tannehill has played some outstanding football here, but for whatever reason he sucks in the playoffs. 

21 hours ago, dcblanton said:

I'd argue the worst thing about 2019 was that the regime came away thinking that they can play every playoff game like the NE and Baltimore games offensively.  In the 3 playoff games since, Henry is averaging 3 YPC and 57 YPG. 

Tannehill isn't Mahomes, Rodgers, or prime Brady.  Even with Rodgers, he's got 1 SB appearance/win.  They absolutely can go try to get the QBOF ala KC or what TB, GB, and Seattle did back in the day.  The odds of it panning out aren't great and then there's the elephant in the room:  this regime kind of fell into Tannehill exceeding their expectations by a lot.  This regime felt Mariota was fine up until the very end and drafted two stiffs in late rounds.  

12 minutes ago, XAEA12 said:

I think you are spot on. 

Tannehill has played some outstanding football here, but for whatever reason he sucks in the playoffs. 

He sucked all year, not just playoffs.

He has had 1.5 years of great production, and now has regressed to his Miami Dolphins days. For he's play to shine you need all guys to be great around him or you'll get the same production as you did in 2021.

50 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

I'd argue the worst thing about 2019 was that the regime came away thinking that they can play every playoff game like the NE and Baltimore games offensively.  In the 3 playoff games since, Henry is averaging 3 YPC and 57 YPG. 

Tannehill isn't Mahomes, Rodgers, or prime Brady.  Even with Rodgers, he's got 1 SB appearance/win.  They absolutely can go try to get the QBOF ala KC or what TB, GB, and Seattle did back in the day.  The odds of it panning out aren't great and then there's the elephant in the room:  this regime kind of fell into Tannehill exceeding their expectations by a lot.  This regime felt Mariota was fine up until the very end and drafted two stiffs in late rounds.  

I don't think the coaches are naive.  I think they felt that Tannehill was going to continue to improve and he hasn't.