Is Ryan Tannehill an elite passer?

XAEA12

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any list that has Kyler Murray as a better pure passer than Tannehill is a joke and shouldn't be even debated.  It tells me that this person either has no idea what they are watching  or just doesn't

Who cares what he did with the Dolphins?  It's irrelevant.  He's been putting up elite level performances for two seasons now.

Back to the original question, because it was a good one. Here is an article from 2019 that examined QB efficiency in different situations:   https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/05/14/th

Posted Images

1 hour ago, unauthorizedcinnamon said:

Did Tannehill  "accumulate garbage stats" with the Dolphins? 

Did he ever have a 4-12 season?

Got a better explanation for this:

image.png.c7fd4ebab87a50be7feb7bd40f7a062b.png

How about explaining this (Watson's stats by quarter):

image.png.f0fa9c65354b4012c2525aa0e8d5c29f.png

Watson's 4th quarter passer rating was nearly 30 points higher than his 1st quarter passer rating. HIs completion % is more than 10% lower in Q1. Now contrast with Tannehill:

image.png.a7cf6389b919d64558ef3e995f7df5dc.png

His passer rating is HIGHEST in Q1. He is also much more consistent quarter by quarter. His completion % is nearly identical for each quarter. He played as efficiently in Q1 as Watson does in Q4. Let that sink in...... Tannehill played as efficiently when the game was in doubt as Watson did in garbage time.  

2 hours ago, BudsOilers said:

Wilson is the best comp to Tannehill as both Seattle and the Titans have similar offensive philosophies putting a premium on passing efficiency, not volume.  Both teams have built OL's to run block as a priority over pass blocking.  If either team threw it more, the pass protection would break down.  People come away with the false idea that it's because of the QB play but it's not. 

Both excel at downfield passing, throwing into tight windows, and ball placement accuracy.  Wilson clearly is better at broken plays but Tannehill did improve in that area.  Of course, that ability can be a curse at times because Wilson often holds the ball too long going for a huge play instead of taking what's there. 

What Tannehill has done in Tennessee is in line efficiency wise with what Wilson has done pretty much his whole career.  That's why Wilson has the edge IMO - the duration of high efficiency is longer. 

What people should take away from the SB is that Mahomes and Rodgers looked ordinary when TB dominated their OL's.  I do think people gloss over the fact that both of them, while being great QB's, also have been in proven QB friendly systems.  Still, GB was god awful when Rodgers missed time with injuries

The difference between Tannehill and Wilson is that Wilson runs around until someone gets open. 

Tannehill reads the defense, makes his checks, and delivers the ball quickly to the guy he knows will be open. Sometimes these plays are 40-50 yard bombs that happen in the blink of an eye off play action. Khalif Raymond playoffs, Jonnu miraculous TD grab, AJB sideline catch with about 7% probability, numerous Firkser catches for 1sts on 3rd. 

Just now, SleepingTitan said:

The difference between Tannehill and Wilson is that Wilson runs around until someone gets open. 

Tannehill reads the defense, makes his checks, and delivers the ball quickly to the guy he knows will be open. Sometimes these plays are 40-50 yard bombs that happen in the blink of an eye off play action. Khalif Raymond playoffs, Jonnu miraculous TD grab, AJB sideline catch with about 7% probability, numerous Firkser catches for 1sts on 3rd. 

That's not true.  Plenty of Wilson's pass plays are from the design, not just running around and he's hit plenty of passes with low probability as well. 

Not that Wilson doesn't have improvised buy time throws but it's a false narrative that the majority of plays are off script.

7 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

That's not true.  Plenty of Wilson's pass plays are from the design, not just running around and he's hit plenty of passes with low probability as well. 

Not that Wilson doesn't have improvised buy time throws but it's a false narrative that the majority of plays are off script.

Lol get out from under your perception and live a little. https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-russell-wilson-unstable-plays-seattle-seahawks-deep-passing-scrambles-2020

3 hours ago, scine09 said:

It's just one of many stats.  I think what matters more is how well they've done as a percentage because there are several QBs, Patrick Mahomes being the most prime example, who barely have any game-winning drives but are still great.  And there are actually QBs that I think play better in those situations than they do in normal game situations, say, in the first quarter.  But Tannehill since he's been with the Titans has been consistently good for the most part from beginning to end in games.

True

Vince Young would put me on the edge of my seat if the game was on the line late....but the rest of the game he put me deep into my bottle of bourbon.

12 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

Couple that approach to QB play with an absolutely stifling defense and you win a SB and get to a second. 

But, overall, it has worked for Seattle. IMO, it is by design. He is running the offense as designed and doing it better than most. It definitely is high risk/high reward. It is also entertaining and the NFL is an entertainment business. 

I don't fault Wilson for playing their system as well as he can just I don't fault Tannehill for doing the same. 

2 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

First off, the article goes into detail about how Seattle was trying to force the deep ball once teams adjusted to play 2-deep and in those instances, yes Wilson would scramble to buy time if guys were not open, 

That however is not all of their explosive plays nor is it the majority of their pass plays.  They use play action at the same level the Titans do.   I'd also add that some of Wilson's out of pocket throws are in fact designed. 

Wilson absolutely does make plenty of buy time explosive pass plays but it's not the majority.  I'd also add that using the Rams, who dominated the Seahawks OL in all 3 games, is hardly a great barometer of the norm.

Crazy how that works.  BTW it's the reason Seattle fired Schottenheimer. 

3 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

First off, the article goes into detail about how Seattle was trying to force the deep ball once teams adjusted to play 2-deep and in those instances, yes Wilson would scramble to buy time if guys were not open, 

That however is not all of their explosive plays nor is it the majority of their pass plays.  They use play action at the same level the Titans do.   I'd also add that some of Wilson's out of pocket throws are in fact designed. 

Wilson absolutely does make plenty of buy time explosive pass plays but it's not the majority.  I'd also add that using the Rams, who dominated the Seahawks OL in all 3 games, is hardly a great barometer of the norm.

Crazy how that works.  BTW it's the reason Seattle fired Schottenheimer. 

Wait, what? Pass protection matters???? Who knew? 

4 hours ago, pat said:

Tannehill's performance is consistently elite whether or not there is game time pressure.  There's no need reach for a silly stat like game winning drives, where the defense was just good enough to barely hold on and give him the ball for one last shot.

Heres a stat for you 

4 playoff games Tannehill as a Titan

Total of 104 yards.

This tells me DC arent really concerned game planning for Tannehill but rather Henry. They stop Henry, they basically win. Tannehill has to step up in the playoffs if he wants to be in a conversation of elites. So far he hasnt done that.

17 minutes ago, unauthorizedcinnamon said:

Heres a stat for you 

4 playoff games Tannehill as a Titan

Total of 104 yards.

This tells me DC arent really concerned game planning for Tannehill but rather Henry. They stop Henry, they basically win. Tannehill has to step up in the playoffs if he wants to be in a conversation of elites. So far he hasnt done that.

Something is definitely going wrong in the playoffs:

1344157740_ScreenShot2021-06-22at2_32_57PM.png.ac049ac03802a9858d009e585ab33161.png

1507491401_ScreenShot2021-06-22at2_33_07PM.png.b7ec089f90128b9a9d4d068276ca6d8f.png

Source: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TannRy00.htm

3 hours ago, scine09 said:

Who cares what he did with the Dolphins?  It's irrelevant.  He's been putting up elite level performances for two seasons now.

I'm quoting my own post because I really don't see why people are laughing at it.  The numbers speak for themselves.

We worry about this way too much. We have Tanny signed up on a great deal. The guy is really humble and grateful for a second chance. He’s been the big guy before and probably not interested in having the east coast media following him again. We need to just chill. 

26 minutes ago, pat said:

Something is definitely going wrong in the playoffs:

1344157740_ScreenShot2021-06-22at2_32_57PM.png.ac049ac03802a9858d009e585ab33161.png

1507491401_ScreenShot2021-06-22at2_33_07PM.png.b7ec089f90128b9a9d4d068276ca6d8f.png

Source: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TannRy00.htm

Against the Pats in 2019, it was widely reported that the game plan for the Patriots was to play coverage, take away the big play, and force Henry to beat them. They lost....... Against the Ravens, the Titans went up big early (largely due to two great passes by Tannehill) and then the Ravens never stopped their running game. Against the Chiefs, he was solid with a 108.1 passer rating. Do you really think getting into a shootout against the Chiefs was a better strategy? 

In 2020, they were in the game until Raymond fell down on a route.