Jonnu Smith

reo

Given the state of the defense, the Titans really can't afford to use a high pick on a TE.

TEs can also take a while to develop.  Their assignments can be complex.

If you let Jonnu walk, it's seems likely that the position will be downgraded for 2021.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jonnu is a good TE, but he has always been a better athlete than a technician. He is a huge threat as a receiver but he doesn’t run routes that well.   I can see re-signing him, but they cer

Guy wasnt able to be the dominant force he could be because he spent most of his time chip blocking for backup tackles.

Because we watch the games and can routinely watch him run routes that aren't great....   Watch the tape. Hes getting the ball in space by play design. Chipping at the line and slipping out,

There is nothing really wrong with Jonnu (aside from being a bad route runner) and I wouldn't mind re-signing him as long as it's for a cheap price. I am 100% opposed to giving him a big deal though. My issue with paying him isn't necessarily because of his production given how many touches Henry, AJ, CD, etc got. My thing is that the offense hummed right along without him. The games that he missed, you didn't even feel his presence and when he was available he didn't exactly change the game. I don't think you pay guys like that big money. 

34 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

There is nothing really wrong with Jonnu (aside from being a bad route runner) and I wouldn't mind re-signing him as long as it's for a cheap price. I am 100% opposed to giving him a big deal though. My issue with paying him isn't necessarily because of his production given how many touches Henry, AJ, CD, etc got. My thing is that the offense hummed right along without him. The games that he missed, you didn't even feel his presence and when he was available he didn't exactly change the game. I don't think you pay guys like that big money. 

Exactly. The defense calls key witness, 7th round pick, Geoff Swaim. 

12 hours ago, MakavelisBack said:

Titans fans love giving up on guys. Really I never understood why we never kept Jared Cook, and still to this day don't know why we never kept him.

That's typical Titans fortune.  I didn't really want to get rid of Cook either, but he dropped a couple at the wrong time and then also stumbled over his own feet while in the red zone a couple times, so in typical Titan fashion, they get rid of him too early.  Then, boom, he does good somewhere else.

12 hours ago, titanruss said:

We run a presnap offense where the first read gets the ball 80% of the time. The TE - any player really -  only produces when it's schemed to him.

I have no idea who we should keep or cut in that system where we try to make every player almost interchangeable.

I also think he was limited in what he could do based on teams loading the box. Its too crowded for him to be open quickly and we have to use him to protect for longer developing stuff.

Jonnu doesnt do well getting open on his own but I'm not sure he was asked to.

Find the coordinator first... then decide who to keep. We need to hurry up and figure it out though.

@BudsOilers get in here.

Re-the offense, yeah the plays are designed to go to the open player based on the pre-snap indicators and initial progression of what the QB sees.  If you are open as the primary, Tannehill is going to throw it there.

Jonnu is tough because he was asked to play on the line far more once Lewan went down, which skewed his production.  He's the best dual threat TE we have as Swaim is the blocker and Firsker is a Wycheck type of TE.  I suspect the market for Smith will be good given all of the factors - athleticism, age, versatility

14 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Jonnu is a good TE, but he has always been a better athlete than a technician. He is a huge threat as a receiver but he doesn’t run routes that well.

I can see re-signing him, but they certainly shouldn’t break the bank to do it.

This really is it. He's a nice piece to have but we shouldn't pay him for more than he is worth. 

Why does everyone assume Jonnu is a terrible route runner? Because he isn't catching as many balls as we thought?

Last year, Jonnu made some big time WR type catches. I remember him catching a fade down the sideline, and multiple TDs in traffic. When he does get the ball with space, he's an explosive playmaker (and this offense missed explosive plays from him). 

If we aren't going to use him more as a receiver, it doesn't make sense to pay him. But he's everything this team wants: hard worker, devoted to football, immensely improved on his blocking, phenomenal athlete. 

I think if this offense was more dynamic, Jonnue would be a key piece to sustained offensive success. Playmaker at WR, playmaker at TE, beast at RB.

27 minutes ago, cenj said:

Why does everyone assume Jonnu is a terrible route runner? Because he isn't catching as many balls as we thought?

Last year, Jonnu made some big time WR type catches. I remember him catching a fade down the sideline, and multiple TDs in traffic. When he does get the ball with space, he's an explosive playmaker (and this offense missed explosive plays from him). 

If we aren't going to use him more as a receiver, it doesn't make sense to pay him. But he's everything this team wants: hard worker, devoted to football, immensely improved on his blocking, phenomenal athlete. 

I think if this offense was more dynamic, Jonnue would be a key piece to sustained offensive success. Playmaker at WR, playmaker at TE, beast at RB.

Because we watch the games and can routinely watch him run routes that aren't great....

Watch the tape. Hes getting the ball in space by play design. Chipping at the line and slipping out, long crossers, screens, etc. 

Edited by CaliTitan3518

The only way you extend Jonnu is if it's within reason. If there's any position where a less athletic player can produce for an offense like this, it's TE. Jonnu is a "nice to have" as you hope he continues to develop but you don't break the bank for him especially this year due to potential cap issues around the league due to covid.