Can Sanders Win?

tgo

7 hours ago, Number9 said:

Elizabeth Warren says she went to college for $50 per semester.  Inflation and tuition has gone up ridiculously, but in TN you can go to community college for free, cheaper than she paid in the 60's.  She says that opportunity is no longer there.  Then comes "Voo Doo" economics because she says when you cancel that debt the former students get $600 month to buy things and the money goes into society.  Well, when they spent the money to go to school where did that money go?  Into society.

I'm not against these people, but if you give Poiendexter $40,000 you need to give Bubba $40,000 too.  You can't select a socio-economic group of society and give them TRILLIONS of dollars, then don't give shit to a different socio-economic group.  Makes not sense.

It’s a fairly simple matter in my opinion. You do not give them a blank check on their debt. You give them a five year program in which the interest on the debt is suspended and the government pays a dollar for dollar on debt repaid. So if a student owes 30k and pays back 15 over 5 years they’re debt free. 

On the other end you provide an increase in the standard deduction for the middle class by say 10 grand a year for five years. Every person will have the choice of whether they want the deduction or the partial debt forgiveness based on if they’re willing to start repaying their debt. In this manner it is a win win and brings a lot of people out of the dark on repaying the loans. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's hard because what we are seeing is a dying party change the rules to hold onto power. The GOP is terrified of how America is changing and they know the writing is on the wall. Their last gasp eff

Here’s to hoping the establishment can squash this populist ruffian virus before our party gets fully infected the way the GOP did with Trump. 

If a rolltide posts in the woods does anyone care since 75% of the board has him on ignore?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, WG53 said:

$12k per semester is not cheap or affordable. Gtfo with your nonsensical bullshit. 

these people are insane. $200 a month for 25 years is not fucking cheap and it's not fucking realistic.

I went to an in-state public school, only took out loans for my first and last year and I'm paying more than that every month to the detriment of literally everything else in my life. Most of my peers are paying more than that.

You guys notice how the birth rate is dropping? Ever wonder why?

7 hours ago, Number9 said:

I'm not against these people, but if you give Poiendexter $40,000 you need to give Bubba $40,000 too.  You can't select a socio-economic group of society and give them TRILLIONS of dollars, then don't give shit to a different socio-economic group.  Makes not sense.

this is a funny post

you're SO CLOSE to getting the point of universal programs.

1 hour ago, Cornrow Wallace said:

these people are insane. $200 a month for 25 years is not fucking cheap and it's not fucking realistic.

I went to an in-state public school, only took out loans for my first and last year and I'm paying more than that every month to the detriment of literally everything else in my life. Most of my peers are paying more than that.

I went to GW after transferring from UMD at the end of my Freshman year. My education cost a ton and I managed to pay it all back within 10 years while getting married, having kids, and buying a house all while living in one of the most expensive places in the country. If you dont prioritize paying down your debt you will never be succesful.

1 hour ago, Cornrow Wallace said:

What is the interest rate on your loan?

14 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I went to GW after transferring from UMD at the end of my Freshman year. My education cost a ton and I managed to pay it all back within 10 years while getting married, having kids, and buying a house all while living in one of the most expensive places in the country. If you dont prioritize paying down your debt you will never be succesful.

I think principle in this situation likely outweighs a good outcome for many. 1.5 trillion dollars outstanding. Many of these people do not have your resources, intellect, or degree. They will simply not pay unless given some type of deal. I’m not saying that is right, but I don’t begrudge them for it. They were sold a bill of goods that has left most of them with jobs that pay them less than 40k a year. 

There has to be some type of compromise or the school debt balloon is going to burst at some point. 

3 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I think principle in this situation likely outweighs a good outcome for many. 1.5 trillion dollars outstanding. Many of these people do not have your resources, intellect, or degree. They will simply not pay unless given some type of deal. I’m not saying that is right, but I don’t begrudge them for it. They were sold a bill of goods that has left most of them with jobs that pay them less than 40k a year. 

There has to be some type of compromise or the school debt balloon is going to burst at some point. 

I agree. Student debt is crushing an entire generation and we need to something about to provide relief. I like the idea you posted up-thread. I also liked Obama's idea of National Service.  My issue is that the bernie bros think they should have their debt wiped away for free without having to give anything up. Many live off credit, live way above their means, and don't pay down their debts. There is a level of personal accountability here that needs to be a factor. 

2 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

It’s a fairly simple matter in my opinion. You do not give them a blank check on their debt. You give them a five year program in which the interest on the debt is suspended and the government pays a dollar for dollar on debt repaid. So if a student owes 30k and pays back 15 over 5 years they’re debt free. 

On the other end you provide an increase in the standard deduction for the middle class by say 10 grand a year for five years. Every person will have the choice of whether they want the deduction or the partial debt forgiveness based on if they’re willing to start repaying their debt. In this manner it is a win win and brings a lot of people out of the dark on repaying the loans. 

In theory it sounds good, but you are taking in less taxes to pay out the discount on the loan. Double dipping to create more debt/deficit.

23 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

In theory it sounds good, but you are taking in less taxes to pay out the discount on the loan. Double dipping to create more debt/deficit.

...how about that 1.5 trillion in tax cuts unfunded? Or the 1 trillion plus deficit they’re running during a booming economy, a 500 billion expansion since 2016? Not a peep, eh. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

I agree. Student debt is crushing an entire generation and we need to something about to provide relief. I like the idea you posted up-thread. I also liked Obama's idea of National Service.  My issue is that the bernie bros think they should have their debt wiped away for free without having to give anything up. Many live off credit, live way above their means, and don't pay down their debts. There is a level of personal accountability here that needs to be a factor. 

you clearly don't understand the problem at all.

45 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

...how about that 1.5 trillion in tax cuts unfunded? Or the 1 trillion plus deficit they’re running during a booming economy, a 500 billion expansion since 2016? Not a peep, eh. 

Whataboutism is your response? So you want to pile more on the debt/deficit?