I didn’t realize that he wrote about rape fantasies in the newspaper in the 70’s hah. 

“The Trump campaign will not steer clear. They will hit him with everything they’ve got. They will depict him as a communist in the grip of twisted sexual fantasies, a useless career politician who oversaw a culture of sexual harassment in his 2016 campaign. Through 2019, Trump and his proxies hailed Sanders as a true voice of the people thwarted by the evil machinations of the Hillary Clinton machine. They will not pause a minute before pivoting in 2020 to attack him as a seething stew of toxic masculinity whose vicious online followers martyred the Democratic party's first female presidential nominee.”

I also didn’t quite realize that his online following is as bad as Trump’s.

“Yet as Mr. Sanders moves to position himself as a standard-bearer for a party he has criticized from the left for decades, the power of his internet army has also alarmed Democrats who are familiar with its underside, experienced in ways large and small.”

“Some progressive activists who declined to back Mr. Sanders have begun traveling with private security after incurring online harassment. Several well-known feminist writers said they had received death threats. A state party chairwoman changed her phone number. A Portland lawyer saw her business rating tumble on an online review site after tussling with Sanders supporters on Twitter.”

13 minutes ago, oldschool said:

To elect to the presidency a person with a proven record of accomplishing little for the causes he espouses, despite almost 32 years in the House and Senate?"

Of course, you can’t do much in congress as an individual.

A POTUS has nearly unlimited power via executive order if they successfully stack the courts that are meant to check them.

This does require some help from the party but, after a win, it’s easier to get that support even if your ideas were very recently outside the mainstream. You think the moderate democrats in congress will defy Bernie if he wins the presidency and they regain Senate majority?

Running the executive branch this way will prove to be djinni that’s very difficult to put back in the bottle. That will be the real legacy of Trump.

1 minute ago, T-RAC said:

Of course, you can’t do much in congress as an individual.

A POTUS has nearly unlimited power via executive order if they successfully stack the courts that are meant to check them.

This does require some help from the party but, after a win, it’s easier to get that support even if your ideas were very recently outside the mainstream. You think the moderate democrats in congress will defy Bernie if he wins the presidency and they regain Senate majority?

Running the executive branch this way will prove to be djinni that’s very difficult to put back in the bottle. That will be the real legacy of Trump.

This is one of the reasons I'm a big fan of Biden - he has been forcibly against governing by executive fiat and has promised to return power to Congress. He's literally the only candidate who has made this a focus too, as far as I'm aware. 

Man - a couple other excerpts from that NYT article that really struck me - 

“Politics is a contact sport,” said Bakari Sellers, a former South Carolina State legislator who supported Ms. Harris in the Democratic primary. “But you have to be very cognizant when you say anything critical of Bernie online. You might have to put your phone down. There’s going to be a blowback, and it could be sexist, racist and vile.”

"When Mr. Sanders’s supporters swarm someone online, they often find multiple access points to that person’s life, compiling what can amount to investigative dossiers. They will attack all public social media accounts, posting personal insults that might flow in by the hundreds. Some of the missives are direct threats of violence, which can be reported to Twitter or Facebook and taken down."

"For some perceived Sanders critics, there has been mail sent to home addresses — or the home addresses of relatives. The contents were unremarkable: news articles about the political perils of centrism. The message seemed clear: We know where you live."

"More commonly, there is a barrage of jabs and threats sometimes framed as jokes. If the target is a woman, and it often is, these insults can veer toward her physical appearance."

I think it probably speaks to a lot of the kinds of people that support Bernie vs other candidates. I'm sure most of his supporters aren't like this, but this really irks me and we've already seen how this kind of thing plays out. 

Why should we trade one form of fascism for another?

I cannot imagine having to be part of this shit. 

Edited by tgo

They've known this since 2016.

Apparently they made a hell of a mistake by waiting until there's only a week before the 2020 voting starts to try to bring him down.

If Democrats failed to stop Trump in 2016 and then fail to stop an equally bad Bernie in 2020 maybe it's time to admit the Democratic party establishment are completely ineffectual, not to mention kind of idiotic.

12 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Apparently they made a hell of a mistake by waiting until there's only a week before the 2020 voting starts to try to bring him down.

If Democrats failed to stop Trump in 2016 and then fail to stop an equally bad Bernie in 2020 maybe it's time to admit the Democratic party establishment are completely ineffectual, not to mention kind of idiotic.

There is some truth to this...

19 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

It's interesting because I read a quote from an anonymous Biden strategist this morning saying that are not going to alter their strategy to start attacking Sanders and will continue ignoring him as much as possible and making their case. 

No clue if that's the right move for them or not. 

I'm curious how the Klobuchar and Warren campaigns will play this Sanders rise. I'm pretty sure Buttigieg will try to stay above the noise. 

Edited by tgo

2 hours ago, tgo said:

I also didn’t quite realize that his online following is as bad as Trump’s.

This is rich coming from the guy who reflexively called me a woak Bernie Bros for daring to contest Biden's pushback on being criticized.