Can Sanders Win?

tgo

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's hard because what we are seeing is a dying party change the rules to hold onto power. The GOP is terrified of how America is changing and they know the writing is on the wall. Their last gasp eff

Here’s to hoping the establishment can squash this populist ruffian virus before our party gets fully infected the way the GOP did with Trump. 

If a rolltide posts in the woods does anyone care since 75% of the board has him on ignore?

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Elizabeth Warren says she went to college for $50 per semester.  Inflation and tuition has gone up ridiculously, but in TN you can go to community college for free, cheaper than she paid in the 60's.  She says that opportunity is no longer there.  Then comes "Voo Doo" economics because she says when you cancel that debt the former students get $600 month to buy things and the money goes into society.  Well, when they spent the money to go to school where did that money go?  Into society.

I'm not against these people, but if you give Poiendexter $40,000 you need to give Bubba $40,000 too.  You can't select a socio-economic group of society and give them TRILLIONS of dollars, then don't give shit to a different socio-economic group.  Makes not sense.

Totally agree.  A much more reasonable plan would be to make the student loans interest free.

https://www.debt.org/blog/buying-car-with-student-loan/

Technically, when you take out a student loan, you agree that the money will be used for educational expenses. You could make the case that the only way to commute to school is with a car, and in reality, there is no oversight once the student loan money drops into your bank account.

You could cash the check and head to a car lot or anywhere else and spend the money.

https://studentloanhero.com/featured/renting-an-off-campus-apartment-without-income/

Why living off-campus can be a smart choice

Although living in a dorm can be convenient, it also can be expensive. According to The College Board, the average cost of room and board at a public, four-year, in-state institution is $11,510 per year.

Over the course of four years, living in a dorm can add over $46,000 to your total cost of attendance. You might have to take out more federal or private student loans to cover it.

Renting an off-campus apartment, skipping your school’s meal plan and cooking your own meals can be effective ways to cut your education costs. Although it can be hard to get approved for a lease on your own, using these tips will help you score the perfect place.

++++++++++++

Oh, now you got a job Poindexter.  Great!!  Oh, you owe for that nice apartment you lived in while you were in "college."  Cool, Uncle Sam got your back.

Oh, you lost your job Bubba.  Damn.  Oh my, you have been living the same place four years and are getting evicted.  Do you have a relative or a friend you can move in with?  Oh, you have a wife and two kids.  Damn.  Thanks for stopping by, but I don't think we have any free money for you.  Sorry.

35 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Totally agree.  A much more reasonable plan would be to make the student loans interest free.

That doesn’t remotely solve the problem of college tuition being unaffordable though. 

They don’t have to make all schools free. Just having state schools be free, as long as the student keeps their grades up, doesn’t seem unreasonable. Most in-state tuitions are already fairly reasonable. It’s not like the government needs to fully fund a $60k/year tuition to any private university of a kid's choice.

Edited by Starkiller

20 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

That doesn’t remotely solve the problem of college tuition being unaffordable though. 

They don’t have to make all schools free. Just having state schools be free, as long as the student keeps their grades up, doesn’t seem unreasonable. Most in-state tuitions are already fairly reasonable. It’s not like the government needs to fully fund a $60k/year tuition to any private university of a kid's choice.

College tuition is not unaffordable.  It's only unaffordable for people who think they are entitled to attend Harvard, USC, and other expensive schools.

As you stated, there are plenty of cheap state schools for people to attend.

I get your point though.  Perhaps the interest free loans would only be extended for state schools or something like that.  Or capped at a reasonable amount to attend a decent school. 

Edited by abenjami

State schools are much cheaper, but even the state schools in my area cost 12k per year in tuition and fees alone. They estimate around 28k total cost of attendance per year (some of that obviously doesn't count since you'd be paying a lot of it just to exist anyway).

Still, tuition and fees for 5 years (yeah, it takes people more than 4 years now) is 60k debt.

12k per year isn't peanuts to a lot of people. Loans often don't cover the whole amount. IDK if you've done the process recently, but people whose parents aren't going to help are also screwed by the current system since it's built off an estimated contribution based on the parent's income.

Exactly. $12k is pretty cheap for a lot of families for college tuition. For tons of families, even that is not remotely affordable.

40% of Americans don’t have $400 in the bank for emergencies. They couldn’t even afford to send their kids to college even if tuition was free. 

Edited by Starkiller

33 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

State schools are much cheaper, but even the state schools in my area cost 12k per year in tuition and fees alone. They estimate around 28k total cost of attendance per year (some of that obviously doesn't count since you'd be paying a lot of it just to exist anyway).

Still, tuition and fees for 5 years (yeah, it takes people more than 4 years now) is 60k debt.

12k per year isn't peanuts to a lot of people. Loans often don't cover the whole amount. IDK if you've done the process recently, but people whose parents aren't going to help are also screwed by the current system since it's built off an estimated contribution based on the parent's income.

11 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Exactly. $12k is pretty cheap for a lot of families for college tuition. For tons of families, even that is not remotely affordable.

40% of Americans don’t have $400 in the bank for emergencies. They couldn’t even afford to send their kids to college even if tuition was free. 

$12k per year and $60k total sounds like a lot to some people but it's nothing when you consider the loan would be interest free and repaid over a 25 year period.  That's $200 per month.  If college grads can't afford that, then perhaps the entire college educational system needs to be blown up and start over.

Yeah, as @Titans279 mentioned, the FAFSA system is screwed up.  It honestly makes no sense.  A kid who turns 18 is an adult but we will discriminate against him because of his parent's income?  LOL

7 minutes ago, abenjami said:

I'll just leave this here...

bernie-sanders-has-the-best-hair-in-congress-1-3778-1374508217-27_big.jpg

Today he said he will not accept Mike Bloomberg‘s money he’s giving to support the dem nominee. He’s not a dem and has little interest in helping the party to succeed.  In my opinion, that’s not character. Be man enough to have your special values without riding off what the other man built up. 

2 hours ago, Number9 said:

Canceling college debt is a position Bernie brung in and the dems are dragging that bs along into their platform.  

Thanks Bernie.

The platform he's going to insist on scares the hell out of me, I think that's a big part of the reason so many long time Democrats are unwilling to say they'll automatically support whoever has the most delegates. It's the one thing they can use to negotiate a reasonable, but very progressive platform that down ticket candidates will be comfortable running on.

4 minutes ago, No1TitansFan said:

The platform he's going to insist on scares the hell out of me, I think that's a big part of the reason so many long time Democrats are unwilling to say they'll automatically support whoever has the most delegates. It's the one thing they can use to negotiate a reasonable, but very progressive platform that down ticket candidates will be comfortable running on.

I think he might implode.  Rash off the cuff statements like refusing millions of dollars in a presidential race is bat shit cra cra.  He's in essence saying Bloomberg is a sleaze, a human you wouldn't even take money from.  They are on the same platform running for dem nomination.  

More of his followers continue to say "No Bernie, No Us."  And I have not seen his reported as asking for restraint with that kind of divisive talk.  Poor character.

13 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I think he might implode.  Rash off the cuff statements like refusing millions of dollars in a presidential race is bat shit cra cra.  He's in essence saying Bloomberg is a sleaze, a human you wouldn't even take money from.  They are on the same platform running for dem nomination.  

More of his followers continue to say "No Bernie, No Us."  And I have not seen his reported as asking for restraint with that kind of divisive talk.  Poor character.

The heart of Bernie's campaign is the fight against money in politics. He'd be a hypocrite to accept big money contributions. 

4 hours ago, abenjami said:

College tuition is not unaffordable.  It's only unaffordable for people who think they are entitled to attend Harvard, USC, and other expensive schools.

As you stated, there are plenty of cheap state schools for people to attend.

I get your point though.  Perhaps the interest free loans would only be extended for state schools or something like that.  Or capped at a reasonable amount to attend a decent school. 

$12k per semester is not cheap or affordable. Gtfo with your nonsensical bullshit.