The right thing to do is not pay Henry

OILERMAN

3 minutes ago, Number9 said:

However you look at it, their conservative asses got the team to the AFC Championship Game.  They lost.  It was nowhere near the embarrassing ass lost we put on the Ravens.  

They also did it with an unsustainable redzone offense and rushing attack.....

With those likely coming back down they'll have to improve the defense and get more aggressive on offense in the passing game to return as a contender

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm actually shocked Tannehill didn't audible on that play.

I've already said I'd pay Henry at this point and I'm not going to bash Robinson when he does. He's turned into a beast, he's the best runner in the league etc......   But honestly, we all k

I’d agree if Tannehill could excel on his own consistently, outside of a dominant run game. But he can’t, so imo they’re a package deal.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, japan said:

I went back through all of the gamelogs and tallied the number of firsts and runs through the 2 minutes warning of the first half.  Back when I posted about this, I did it for the first 8 games and at that time SF ran the ball 59.8% of the time while we ran the ball 59% of the time.  But, strangely after switching to the better throwing QB, the Titans ran the ball on 68.2% on firsts while SF ran it 53% on firsts in games 9-16.  There were a couple of games like the second against JAX where we ran it 90% of the time on first or the first Houston game where we ran it 83% of the time.  They threw the ball a lot more on first with Mariota oddly.  Maybe it coincides on Henry deciding to turn it on later in the year.  The other thing that jumped out was that if we got a first down on a drive, almost 100% of the time we were running the ball after that first first down.

So, while I wasn't lying I was relying on the percentage to have stayed similar in the second half of the season.

So lazy analysis and having the nerve to say I was wrong....Nice but typical for you.

2 minutes ago, japan said:

the Titans ran the ball on 68.2% on firsts

The other thing that jumped out was that if we got a first down on a drive, almost 100% of the time we were running the ball after that first first down.

Just insane

Per the Ringer Mostert ran into 8+ man fronts on only 13% of his carries last night.

I would be really interested to see what our numbers were and have been compared to the 49ers.

My hunch is that we do it a lot more and that's a problem.

3 hours ago, ctm said:

They appeared locked in by the game plan rather than taking what the defense was giving them.

3 hours ago, Guts said:

I absolutely love Henry, but I think he's holding us back.  We are a very predictable offense when he's on the field, and he offers very little in the passing game other than the occasional screen.

This is the problem...because Henry had been so dominant it lulled them into being lazy with the offensive game plan. They thought he was the offensive "easy button". They figured since Henry pretty much had his way with the Patriots and Ravens that they could just line up in heavy formations and just bully the Chiefs poor run defense. Everyone in the stadium knew exactly what was coming on pretty much every play. You're not going to put up a lot of points against most NFL defenses doing that. The margin of error is so small when you do that. One penalty or stuffed run and now it's an uphill battle to convert long third downs and sustain drives. They should have figured they were going to have to put up 35-40 points yesterday to have a chance. Even if Henry were to have another 180+ yard day they likely don't get close to that.

Henry offered them the perfect chance to torch a defense that was selling out to stop the run and they pissed it away. The hope is they'll recognize that mistake and spend the offseason coming up with a plan that doesn't put most of their eggs in Henry's basket.

...we'll see.

3 hours ago, oldschool said:

Henry likely holds out if he gets slapped with the franchise tag and who here would be blame him? This will likely be is last big contract. Also Etienne is not coming out this year. I think he would have been perfect compliment.

Yeah I forgot about that. Damn. I felt like Etienne was perfectly suited for our draft spot and offense. Would've seen a massive run on pass rushers anyway. 

14 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

They also did it with an unsustainable redzone offense and rushing attack.....

With those likely coming back down they'll have to improve the defense and get more aggressive on offense in the passing game to return as a contender

I fully agree.  We need some more strength in these areas.  During this run, for some reason AJB disappeared.  And during the season when we needed to throw the ball, we could.  In the playoffs, we were over-reliant on the run.  This wasn't the first time we had to mount a comeback, but it just seemed to fail.  What had worked, stopped working and we didn't have an answer.

Regarding the backup to Henry.  Are they looking for a better version of Lewis?  Or are they looking for someone with a similar skill set as Henry who can run the outside zone?  TBD

4 minutes ago, patsplat said:

SF might very well lose to KC if they run against goal line defense.

I tell people all the time teams with bad defenses step up in the playoffs but however the titans weee moving the ball at ease and whag happens was the the titans “ran the damn ball” 

Edited by Stan