Behind the panic in white, Christian America(Ezra Klein)

OILERMAN

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been saying it for years. 2016 was white rural Christian America's last gasp. All you have to do is read the drivel from soxcat and little earl to understand how scared they are at the change that is

spirituality is a beautiful thing. Organized religion isn't.

I'm not sure what the most important variable is.  It seems to me that this is an attempt by white men to avoid sharing power with women and people of color.  If you look at the makeup of republican o

9 hours ago, Rolltide said:

Amazing that libtards will bash Christianity but never say a word about Islam. WG is an equal opportunity hater he also hates Jews and wants Israel destroyed. 

There you go making baseless claims again.

10 hours ago, Rolltide said:

Why do you care about me? We have about 7-8 libtard posters who post as often as I do perhaps more and start more threads than i do. There is a new hate Trump thread about every 6 hours on this board. 

I must be a real badass and a threat to your libtard establishment. Good. 

It’s just funny to me, in all honesty. You have maybe two or three people who agree with you, and the rest see you for what you really are: a bigoted racist scumbag. 

Its also funny you you keep calling me a libtard when you have no idea where my beliefs side. 

But, yes - keep on with your hate-filled, bigoted schemes. And enjoy those other bigoted fucks who agree with every word you say. 

15 hours ago, Little Earl said:

No other group in human history has fought the slave trade more than Christians have.    According to historian Glenn Sunshine, Christians were the first people in history to oppose slavery systematically. Early Christians purchased slaves in the markets simply to set them free. It is also true that slavery was ended in great part by Christian activists. Historians credit the British evangelical William Wilberforce as the primary force behind the ending of the international slave trade.

Leviticus 25:44-46 New International Version

44  " 'Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45  You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46  You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Exodus 21:20-21 (NASB):

20 If a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod and he dies at his hand, he shall be punished. 21, however, he survives a day or two, no vengeance shall be taken; for he is his property.

Now watch Earl give us some interpretive run-around to justify this using the larger scope of the Bible to prove that slavery is bad. The same type of interpretations he would never accept from so called "Liberal Christians" on other issues. 

This is when their "plain reading of scripture" bullshit backfires. 

Edited by 'Nator

1 minute ago, 'Nator said:

Leviticus 25:44-46 New International Version

44  " 'Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45  You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46  You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Exodus 21:20-21 (NASB):

20 If a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod and he dies at his hand, he shall be punished. 21, however, he survives a day or two, no vengeance shall be taken; for he is his property.

Now watch Earl give us some interpretive run-around to justify this using the larger scope of the Bible to prove that slavery is bad. The same type of interpretations he would never accept from so called "Liberal Christians" on other issues. 

Please enlighten everyone on the difference between slavery a couple thousand years ago, and the African slave trade.   Don't even pretend it is close to the same thing.   Furthermore, I defy you to find any proof of any religion or groups of people that were calling for the end of slavery those many centuries ago.   It was common practice throughout the entire world.

And as I wrote, who led the abolition of the African slave trade?  I will wait.

10 minutes ago, Little Earl said:

Please enlighten everyone on the difference between slavery a couple thousand years ago, and the African slave trade.   Don't even pretend it is close to the same thing.   Furthermore, I defy you to find any proof of any religion or groups of people that were calling for the end of slavery those many centuries ago.   It was common practice throughout the entire world.

So tired of this horseshit explanation from fundamentalist Christians that insists that only American chattel slavery was "bad" slavery. 

The Bible makes clear they were PROPERTY FOR LIFE, that you could hand them down to your decedents, and sets out rules for beating the shit out of them. 

But since Bible-times slavery wasn't the same, what was the big deal about the ISREALITES being enslaved by the Egyptians then? 

Truly pathetic how these fundamentalist "plain reading" Christians twist themselves up like a pretzel defending this shit.

To the dumb ass Fundy: 

American slaver = actual bad slavery.

Enslaved Israelites = actual bad slavery. 

Any other slavery by Jews or Christians = Not all that bad at all, nothing to see here. 

Edited by 'Nator

12 minutes ago, Little Earl said:

Not "plain reading" fundamentalists  like you, that's for sure! 

Those who had what you would call a "libtard reading" of scripture, maybe. 

4 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

The Old Testament isn't the standard we now use for relating to each other and as I said, Christianity (which started after the Old testament) has done more for the rights of people, women, children and was a big part of the anti slavery movement in the US.  In fact it was the Democrats that stood against the abolishment of slavery and fought against civil rights.   Fundamental Christians don't follow Old testament Law moron.   

So the OT isn't God's word? 

Why'd he write all that wrong shit that doesn't apply to us anymore? Did he not foresee the future? 

Should we drop the OT? 

I could agree on some of this, but in all other matters you guys go with a "plain reading" of scripture, and I am showing you how this backfires. 

Essentially worshipping scripture, making it your God, which is what the conservative Evangelical basically does, is untenable. 

On 7/2/2019 at 5:16 AM, OILERMAN said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/behind-the-panic-in-white-christian-america/id1081584611?i=1000443306761

About seven in 10 American seniors are white Christians. Among young adults, fewer than three in 10 are. During the span of the Obama administration, America went from a majority white Christian nation to one where white Christians are a minority. That’s an earthquake, and we’re living in the aftershocks.This is a story that Robert Jones, the head of the Public Religion Research Institute, tells in his book The End of White Christian America. Much of Donald Trump’s support is driven by a sense of religious loss, not just racial or national loss. Many of the debates playing out on the American right — particularly the Sohrab Ahmari-David French fight — reflect the belief that these are end times for a certain strain of American Christians, unless emergency measures are undertaken.This is not, to put it lightly, a perspective that’s treated sympathetically on the left. What could carry more privilege than being a white Christian? But that’s why, if you want to understand American politics right now, it’s important to try to see the other side of this one. I’m going to be exploring this more on the show in the weeks to come, but I wanted to start with Jones, who knows the data here better than anyone. This is part of the deep context of American politics right now. Seeing it clearly makes a lot of our fights more legible.If you liked this episode, you may also like: “David French on the Great, White Culture War” and Jennifer Richeson on “The most important idea for understanding politics in 2018.”Book recommendations:Mississippi Praying: Southern White Evangelicals and the Civil Rights Movement by Carolyn Renée DupontOur Towns: A 100,000-Mile Journey into the Heart of America by James Fallows and Deborah FallowsOut of Many Faiths: Religious Diversity and the American Promiseby Eboo Patel  

I have been saying "we the people"  I happen to have loose association with a lot of these people.  I have posted about some conversations I have had with them, heart to heart.  They have impressed me as sincere.  I don't know if this article/podcast/whatever is trying to say it's better to talk to people than shout obscenities at them or not, but in my opinion that is what you need to do.  

Just now, WG53 said:

Fundamentalist Christians don't follow OT law? HAHAHAHA bullshit

During Old Testament times there were Civil laws, ceremonial laws, and moral laws (like the 10 commandments).   The moral laws still stand.   The civil and ceremonial laws were for Israel only, as they were set apart from other nations to point to Jesus.  

Btw Jew hater, the Jews fought for their land and won it, contrary to your stupid reasoning as to why they don't below there now.

On 7/2/2019 at 8:40 AM, Starkiller said:

People seem to totally gloss over just how bad things are becoming for people in this country. Wages for half the country have been pretty much stagnant for 4 decades but their basic expenses have risen dramatically over that time. Things are going to come to a head sooner or later. 

I was talking to a friend who lives outside Nashville.  She was complaining about undesirable needs of Nashville being put in her county.  I told her they used to put that stuff in the black neighborhoods. She said, I guess we are the new blacks.

If things dems want are better for people, you need to be able to talk to them and explain how they will be better.  Wages going down and you have the repubs telling people you are for open borders, who should they vote for?  

I said a few months ago, the dems need a plan for the border.  "not, they got one"  No, a plan like all the healthcare talk.  How are they going to handle the border?  How will that help the unskilled people whose wages are weakened by people just walking into the country?

Doing the debate DT told the moderators to ask "would you let undocumented people into the ER.  RAISE YOUR HAND!"  Oh boy!