Boclair: No Good Answers on Mariota

Jonboy

10 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Henry ended the year with the 7th most rush yards for a RB and averaging 4.9 yards/attempt.

And Lewis ended up 38th, with only 517 yards, 3.3 YPC, even though he had 42% of TN's rushing attempts (by running backs).

Neither provides an accurate gauge of the O-Line's performance.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watson isnt that far ahead of Mariota; flawed premise.

Hes not. What he does better is throw the 50/50 ball. Hopkins make it easy.

Watson looks like crap today in a home playoff game. I'd take MM over Watson any day.

2 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

And Lewis ended up 38th, with only 517 yards, 3.3 YPC, even though he had 42% of TN's rushing attempts (by running backs).

Neither provides an accurate gauge of the O-Line's performance.

Yeah it does. The OL got better at run blocking after the bye. Henry also got better himself. It was obvious to anyone with eyes.

8 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Yeah it does. The OL got better at run blocking after the bye. Henry also got better himself. It was obvious to anyone with eyes.

So, because they played decent for the last 4 games that means they were a good O-Line last season?

Man, you guys have some very short and shitty memories.

I'll just leave this here:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Final OL rankings have the Titans' O-Line ranked 17th in Run Blocking and 29th in Pass Protection for the 2018 season.

Which I believe is realistic for both categories, and matches the eyeball as well as the memory tests.

Edited by TitanDuckFan

On 1/5/2019 at 1:42 PM, Number9 said:

Boclair's article is a composite of comments posted here.  I mentioned yesterday that keeping Mariota was a commitment to 8-8, 9-7 seasons and that he didn't have the game to compete against playoff QBs.

Funny cause Gabbert kept us in a game with indy till the 4min mark. Indy crushed the texans. If we have mariota we have a very good chance at winning that game. One of 5 other guys not on IR and it's not a question. 

We went 9-7 with a qb playing hurt all year. We are the easy division winner if he was healthy.

9 minutes ago, Callidus said:

Funny cause Gabbert kept us in a game with indy till the 4min mark. Indy crushed the texans. If we have mariota we have a very good chance at winning that game. One of 5 other guys not on IR and it's not a question. 

We went 9-7 with a qb playing hurt all year. We are the easy division winner if he was healthy.

And have a first round bye in the toughest division in the AFC. Not even going to mention the Chargers and the dropped TD in the Bills game by Nick whats his name, way to much negativity around here.

Mariota is holding us hostage right now. No durability, no consistency, no real gauge on how to rate the guy fairly. 

64 games into his career and we have no idea what his ceiling is. And that’s borderline torture when the two teams we are competing with in the division don’t have any questions at the position.

There isn’t really a better option but he doesn’t embody confidence for a season either. 

5 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

None.  But that's not the point. 

To credit the O-Line's performance based on how many yards the rushing game ended up with is misleading when the QB is as mobile as Marcus or Wilson or Watson are.  (just using those 3 as an example)

With some teams that will always be a more accurate measure of the O-Line's effectiveness than others.

Would you argue that Seattle has a great O-Line based on their run game yardage, when Wilson puts up so many improvised rushing yards?  I would hope not.

Then why would you for TN?

I would argue they can run block and suck at pass blocking.

This isn't rocket science. But this is just more black and white thinking that makes no sense. You can be good at half your job. Like you mop floors great but suck at scrubbing toilets.

23 minutes ago, titanfan24 said:

Mariota is holding us hostage right now. No durability, no consistency, no real gauge on how to rate the guy fairly. 

64 games into his career and we have no idea what his ceiling is. And that’s borderline torture when the two teams we are competing with in the division don’t have any questions at the position.

There isn’t really a better option but he doesn’t embody confidence for a season either. 

I don't want to go that far. He has had to learn a new offense every year but one. And that year we ran the simplist offense in football since 1936. Was no wonder teams figured it out. Let him get into a system for 2-3 years. Foles is a good example. People say he is a system qb, well maybe that iw the only system he has had enough time in to be good?

Edited by Callidus

11 minutes ago, Callidus said:

I would argue they can run block and suck at pass blocking.

This isn't rocket science. But this is just more black and white thinking that makes no sense. You can be good at half your job. Like you mop floors great but suck at scrubbing toilets.

Agreed.

When Seattle is known to have a terrible O-Line but leads the league in rushing it should inspire anyone and everyone to think twice about making a statement like that.

And to be open to accepting alternative reasons.

Things may not always be what they appear to be.

6 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

I'll just leave this here:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Final OL rankings have the Titans' O-Line ranked 17th in Run Blocking and 29th in Pass Protection for the 2018 season.

Which I believe is realistic for both categories, and matches the eyeball as well as the memory tests.

Here is the QB rankings

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb