Stats that make you go hmmmmm

earlers

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jesus! How about a warning in the title for those of us on 56K!? My Netscape Navigator crashed and I can't find my "Recovery" floppy disk!

Do you think you’ll pull for them?

Check out these interesting stats...Titans are better at 3rd and long than 3rd and medium. Also, Qb passer rating outside the pocket...Mariota is at the bottom good at some other stuff. Titans don’t g

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, earlers said:

Check out these interesting stats...Titans are better at 3rd and long than 3rd and medium. Also, Qb passer rating outside the pocket...Mariota is at the bottom good at some other stuff. Titans don’t go 3 and out that much as I would think.

3rd down sacks probably goes a long way towards explaining why we're so bad on 3rd and medium but good on 3rd and long or short. They pressure more on 3rd and medium, I'd bet.

Lots of good stats there for Marcus.

Edited by reo

40 minutes ago, woolfolksunclesuncle said:

Jesus! How about a warning in the title for those of us on 56K!? My Netscape Navigator crashed and I can't find my "Recovery" floppy disk!

Horrifying memories,  like downloading a song and the file corrupting after 3hours at 94% or your pc crashing right before you finish a near perfect game of Oregon Trail.

Edited by Callidus

All this tells me is that regardless of whatever you might think of Marcus Mariota, the offense needs better pass protection and WRs who can catch the ball.

They have no go to guy on 3rd and medium (a chain mover type guy).  A high percentage of drops suggests a lack of talent in the WR corps and all the sacks and outside pocket stuff suggests pass blocking needs to improve.  

1 hour ago, Justafan said:

All this tells me is that regardless of whatever you might think of Marcus Mariota, the offense needs better pass protection and WRs who can catch the ball.

They have no go to guy on 3rd and medium (a chain mover type guy).  A high percentage of drops suggests a lack of talent in the WR corps and all the sacks and outside pocket stuff suggests pass blocking needs to improve.  

You realize that Davis is among the top receivers in the league at moving the chains?  And on third down?  And how are Mariota's struggles outside the pocket even remotely on the O line?  

When Mariota has 2,000 fewer yards than several of thest QBs, it's very difficult to make a direct comparison to any of them .

Edited by abc2330

1 hour ago, abc2330 said:

You realize that Davis is among the top receivers in the league at moving the chains?  And on third down?  And how are Mariota's struggles outside the pocket even remotely on the O line?  

When Mariota has 2,000 fewer yards than several of thest QBs, it's very difficult to make a direct comparison to any of them .

I'd love to see where you got that Davis is top in the league at moving the chains.  He has a 57% catch rate which is actually really low.  He's not ranked even in the top 10 on 3rd or 4th down.  He's not statistically significant as far as I can tell so other than pulling that shit out of your ass, how is he "among the top receivers in the league at moving the chains"?  

A big, big reason that QB's struggle outside the pocket is because they are running for their lives instead of just extending the play.  Some guys are naturally good at it but and so can make an offensive line look better than they are but NFL QBs who are particularly bad at it, are usually not getting enough help from their offensive line.

I agree that Mariota comparisons are difficult at this point because of the nature of this offense compared to the pass-happy offenses across the league.  Some of that likely is due to Mariota's limitations but that doesn't mean the rest of the offense should get a pass.  The talent is just not enough on the offensive side of the ball. 

It sucks that Mariota is not good outside the pocket.

Like, if he wasn't good inside the pocket, but great outside I think he would be a better QB overall.

But he struggles in both ways unless well protected. He's a QB who can run who's a statue in the pocket. It's weird.

And to respond to @Justafan I'd like to see Corey Davis force-fed more 50/50 balls before casting judgement as a WR that's not a star or even reliable. He doesn't get nearly enough opportunities to shine. He gets passes when he's "open."

Edited by big2033

11 minutes ago, big2033 said:

It sucks that Mariota is not good outside the pocket.

Like, if he wasn't good inside the pocket, but great outside I think he would be a better QB overall.

But he struggles in both ways. 

And to respond to @Justafan I'd like to see Corey Davis force-fed more 50/50 balls before casting judgement as a WR that's not a star or even reliable. He doesn't get nearly enough opportunities to shine. He gets passes when he's "open."

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not condemning anyone and I'm not absolving Mariota from blame.  I just think Mariota needs some help in this offense.  That's not a universally true statement.  Aaron Rodgers can take 50 sacks in a season and look amazing, Mariota isn't.  Mariota needs to be protected better.  Understand his weaknesses and draft to his strengths.  He only has an average pocket feel and even though he can read the field, he does better with simplified reads and play-action.

A strong running game and a big strong offensive line with receivers who can get open rather than win 50-50 balls would do this kid a world of good IMO.

The running game and Oline would protect him, which would cover up his weaknesses which is having to escape the pocket and make plays on the run, and also poor pocket maneuvering which leads to extra sacks.  It would also open up play action and create more one on one matchups which he is better at exploiting.  Finally, he's not a guy who likes to throw it up and let his guy go get it so guys who can get separation are absolutely imperative.

Just my thoughts.  

Edited by Justafan