Gerrymandering

Legaltitan

Still do.  The gerrymandering done by the right is 10 times more prevalent than it is on the left currently.  Make no mistake, the left would and has done it as well.  

It's not a partisan thing to wish gerrymandering be cleaned up and somehow banned with fair districts drawn by an impartial third party.  It's just common fucking sense. 

Edited by Justafan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since the Democrats took back the House, I feel like I can get away now with whining about this.   Here is how bad it is in North Carolina:   1,747,420 Democratic Votes  = 3 congre

I'd say gerrymandering should be illegal but ... it is, generally. The SCOTUS just has a problem with math and, perhaps rightly, worries about a hard and fast rule.   Instead, I'll argue tha

@9 Nines has discussed this before. The Republican strategy is to gin up just enough support during these types of elections that it is not a full on assault on their power. If people get pissed off e

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

You would think it would also be common fucking sense not to specifically point to one group when it's done by both. ?‍♂️

But it shows how truly biased those are that call out the repubs and have nothing to say when those they support are found guilty....

Just like all these dumb fucks screaming fake news over the Acosta video but said not a fucking word about the false accusation on Kavanuagh.

A couple things here.  1.  I did point out both sides do it and I saw @Starkiller point out the Maryland case before.  It is a stone cold fact that Repubs are CURRENTLY far more guilty of this than the Dems but that has little impact, to be honest, it just needs to stop.  2. No one is screaming over the Acosta video.  All I've seen is people calling out the stupidity.  Just own that you kicked the guy out because he was belligerent and you didn't like the questions he was asking.  3.  Has the accusation against Kavanaugh been proven false?  If not, then this is silly.  Also, it has absolutely nothing to do with this idiotic video as far as I'm concerned.  

And yes, it's common fucking sense.

3 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Jake doesn’t care about the US. He doesn’t care about gerrymandering. He doesn’t care about immigration. Hell, he’s on a Titans board and doesn’t care about the Titans. 

He cares about making himself feel better. He cares about being the victim. 

It's all about finding grievances. Everyone with a brain knows gerrymandering is an issue, is done by both parties and is one of the primary reasons for our partisan politics.

I don't even think Jake cares about Dems or Repubs, left or right. He just wants to whine, bitch and moan. He wants to find hypocrisy under every rock so it can reinforce his worldview and allow him to blindly follow the demented Pied Piper in the oval office.

@JakePA_Titan here is a link for you. It illustrates that this is an issue on both sides of the aisle.

https://apnews.com/ce85333a6184471aa7bc60fc451df7ba

I guess he’s doing this in the face of the thread about what happened to NC. Well, it happens a lot more on one side than the other. Notice in that thread how many people were calling for, or liking posts called for, wanting it to be handled in a non-partisan manner. Obviously that’s the easiest solution, but the states won’t allow it (specifically red states). As long as it exists the game will continue to be played, and it’s a game where actually democracy inside of a functional Republic loses. 

I think the data science had improved dramatically at the time the repubs started their last round and allowed for a much better targeting of desired voting outcomes. That and the repubs were aggressive as hell, and not too modest about their successes in their internal communications. We’re lucky the courts have ruled on this in the most egregious cases of gerrymandering recently, but the country needs to find a better solution to this long standing partisan problem. 

On 11/9/2018 at 8:01 AM, IsntLifeFunny said:

@9 Nines has discussed this before. The Republican strategy is to gin up just enough support during these types of elections that it is not a full on assault on their power. If people get pissed off enough and that 8% turns into 9.5 (hypothetical) then the Republicans could theoretically get wiped off the map. 

Personally, and I’ve been thinking about this quite a bit, politics and law go hand in hand, or at least their true meaning. Both revolve around the highest truth. It’s why watching How to Make a Murderer is so interesting where it is obvious truth is not what is being sought from the prosecution. When you see numbers like the above for NC you know for a fact that the greatest good is not what the Republicans are seeking in that state. Politics should always be about good governance and the greatest amount of good for the most amount of people. Until we come back to that point we are dealing with a broken system on both fronts. 

Cmon man. Avery guilty as hell

Interesting that there is an article this week in the New Yorker that makes the argument that correcting the gerrymandering is perhaps the only way out of the tribalism we are in currently..If you look at the recent TN election, Bredeson carried Nashville and Memphis by wide margins, Chattanooga was basically ties, and Knoxville went slightly for Blackburn.. the rural counties and smaller cities carried Blackburn to victory..

• 1 month later...

Necessary necro thread.  Dems accused of gerrymandering.  We need a real long term solution to break through this crap.

New Jersey Democrats' proposed constitutional amendment to solidify their party’s hold is prompting outraged objections among redistricting reformers who see the measure as a blatant power grab.

Legislators meeting in Trenton hold their first hearing Thursday on the proposed amendment, which would hand the state legislature new power to control the makeup of a bipartisan redistricting board that draws new boundaries every ten years. That bipartisan board includes five Democrats and five Republicans, each appointed by the heads of the two state parties. An eleventh, independent member is chosen to pick between maps drawn by the Democratic and Republican committee members.

But the new proposal would have legislative leaders rather than the state parties choose committee members.  “Currently unaccountable people have too much power in the process,” Assembly Majority Leader Louis Greenwald (D), the amendment’s sponsor, wrote in an op-ed Thursday. “Two unelected people should not be authorized to decide how roughly nine million New Jerseyans are represented in the legislature.”  The amendment would require the state board to follow a “fairness test,” which would draw districts in proportion to the state’s overall political performance. In New Jersey, where registered Democrats far outnumber registered Republicans, that test virtually guarantees a Democratic majority for years to come.

“A handful of politicians have demonstrated an alarming willingness to forsake the delicate fabric of the state’s democracy by advancing a redistricting amendment that benefits them and them alone,” said Doug Steinhardt, the chairman of the New Jersey Republican Party. Even some Democrats who advocate for a fairer redistricting process said the New Jersey proposal was an overreach.,...

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/421246-new-jersey-redistricting-reform-blasted-as-gerrymandering-power-grab

• 4 months later...