TNF: The hope and fear, realized consecutively

Jamalisms

25 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

I'm a bit all over the map here, but...

Honestly, the first half was (almost) the hope while the second was definitely the fear. In the first half they stayed close and were competitive. Mistakes hurt but defense kept them in it. Second half was vomit inducing. We got worked. Badly. Offense made more and more mistakes and then the defense crumbled into its own version of embarrassing... followed by even more offensive mistakes. Nobody is going to feel good in that locker room. It was a full, abject failure.

Although a complete shit show by the end ... if Walker catches that gimme TD, I almost feel like this game would have gone a completely different direction. After that play, everything snowballed.

This defense played a solid first half. They got walked on in the second. That was partly just a snowball effect but they're not good enough to win games by themselves (against good teams) and they might not even be good enough to do their own part against good offenses. The secondary had no answer for Brown and the line didn't develop enough pressure. It's a bad combo.

Thankfully, it's one game. Thankfully, the schedule gets easier. Unfortunately, Jacksonville may not lose even one before week 17. This game wasn't a must win but it would have been a big advantage. Now? We're in the hunt. Enjoy while it lasts, I guess. There will be better days.

The most important thing right now (maybe the only truly important thing) is this:

Marcus hasn't progressed from year 2 to 3. If anything, it's been a step backwards and, no, it's not just about tonight.

Injuries (himself and WRs) hurt. No running game in an offense built around the run game hurts. OL regression hurts. But he's misreading defenses and just making mistakes of his own plain and simple.

The narrative writes itself: Developing a QB in a run first offense that prioritizes his legs, minimizes his passing and uses the scheme instead of the QB to beat defenses.... it's a bad idea. That's the narrative and I believe it because it's what I predicted at the outset... but whatever the issue is, they need to fix it. 

Marcus is the franchise's most valuable asset. He's shown extreme ability in his young career and there is zero excuse if he maxes out below really good and even that is a disappointment. They need to develop the kid and the evidence right now isn't promising.

Come the end of next year, the decision to move on from Mularkey will be an easy one unless things change. And they may well change because there's plenty of time. But right now? The way Marcus is playing is a fireable offense. Here's a golden ticket most coaches dream of. They need to get more out of him. Full stop.

It's unknown whether Marcus regression is because of the coaches.  None of us fools can say.  Marcus made some poor throws tonight.  Scheme or not, the QB has to make those throws in order to win.  

Mularkey probably gets a pass if we make it the playoffs, but I do think we need to be considering other options if Marcus continues to be so inconsistent.  

Ultimately, it's going to be harder to pull a franchise QB out of the middle to late 1st round pick than it will be to pull a new staff that might be able to get Marcus up to his potential (assuming it's really there).  I don't really want to do either, but at the end of the day, Marcus has to be given his chance and if it takes a staff change to give him that chance, that's what we have to do.  

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a bit all over the map here, but...   Honestly, the first half was (almost) the hope while the second was definitely the fear. In the first half they stayed close and were competitive. M

good franchises dont keep coaches who let obvious young franchise QBs regress and be parts of systems that marginalize them. they rip the bandaid and go.     

Jeff Fisher was certainly stable for the Rams

Posted Images

It's been a year and a half. I'm fully down for double that. Sometimes it takes that long to see the real trend - which is why every coach gets three years from me. But I couldn't not note it after tonight. Mariota's progression is a concern and that development is a key role of coaching, imo.

... and franchises are considered good because they win, make the playoffs and complete for titles. Stability doesn't make you good. Being good means you're stable because you're not going to fire someone in that scenario. Cases in point: Cincinnati = stability long term and the Rams = change.

4 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I guess what matters is what AAS thinks about Mariota's performance. Considering Mularkey's prime directive is to protect Marcus I find it hard to believe that if he's not performing well they'd pick Mularkey over him.

depends how deep mularkeys dick is in AAS

Despite the blowout to Houston, despite the Pittsburgh blowout. IF Mularkey can get this team to a playoff game, THEY ARE GOING TO GIVE HIM AN EXTENSION. 

AAS, is not looking for reasons to fire Mularkey (like many of us are), she's looking for reasons to keep him. 

If does not matter how bad they look in these games, the Ws and Ls do.

They could have been beat down 50-0 in Pittsburgh. If this team wins the division, AAS is not going to fire a coach that brings playoff football to Nashville for the first time in nearly 10 years. 

amy being a new owner... i wonder if that extension actually comes after this year. its proper etiquette to not let the coach have a lame duck year... but shes never dealt with that before so it may not be a big deal to her. 

even if we make the playoffs... its hard to emphatically give that extension based on play this season. 

i'd still need a year of convincing. 

now if we take off and the offense becomes tops in the league, we pul out huge wins and make the playoffs and show up well... then you gotta give it to him. 

19 minutes ago, titanruss said:

amy being a new owner... i wonder if that extension actually comes after this year. its proper etiquette to not let the coach have a lame duck year... but shes never dealt with that before so it may not be a big deal to her. 

even if we make the playoffs... its hard to emphatically give that extension based on play this season. 

now if we take off and the offense becomes tops in the league, we pul out huge wins and make the playoffs and show up well... then you gotta give it to him. 

You would. She won't.

She likes Mularkey.

She hired him to be the full time coach without barely interviewing anyone else. 

I don't think it matters how Mularkey makes the playoffs, as long as he does, it will be justification for keeping him around. Every win could look like the Cleveland win.

The only thing that could stop this is a strong objection from J-Rob. To me that's the real question. What does J-Rob think of Mularkey? 

Edited by NFLStudent

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

The problem with the ridiculous narrative that the offense or coaches are hurting Mariota is the passes are just terribly thrown. It's not the scheme that makes Mariota throw it 10 yards over a WRs head or make him stare down a WR and throw it right to a DB......

The plays were there to be made, wide open TD passes. 

Mariota's poor stretches of play clearly lie on him

Stability is what's greater than Mularkey or any of these other coaches for a young QB.........

Amen. I was at the shit show, live and in person. Mariota played like hot trash 

7 hours ago, NFLStudent said:

Despite the blowout to Houston, despite the Pittsburgh blowout. IF Mularkey can get this team to a playoff game, THEY ARE GOING TO GIVE HIM AN EXTENSION. 

AAS, is not looking for reasons to fire Mularkey (like many of us are), she's looking for reasons to keep him. 

If does not matter how bad they look in these games, the Ws and Ls do.

They could have been beat down 50-0 in Pittsburgh. If this team wins the division, AAS is not going to fire a coach that brings playoff football to Nashville for the first time in nearly 10 years. 

Thank you. With all the doom and gloom around here you’d think we were headed for the first overall pick instead of headed for the playoffs. 

Edited by tgo

7 hours ago, titanruss said:

This is the point I don't think many on the board realize....the last year on Mularkey's contract is next year. It's either extend or fire THIS offseason, not next. It's highly uncommon to allow a HC to coach a lame duck year. 

2 minutes ago, titantez said:

How do you fix pannicking in the pocket?

When it gets down to the elite teams or playoff situations, we have seen it a million times, defenses are going to send one more man than the offense can block and force the qb to spot that open man AND take a HIT...They are going to gamble giving up the big play or the qb folding..

Where were you last week?

1 minute ago, titantez said:

Right now Scine09, there is NOTHING that I have seen from Marcus that leads me to believe he can be better in a different system, he simply has to many flaws as a pocket passer...

I base this off of what I have seen him do under WIZ and Mularkey and even with a good running game.

I think he needs some tough love...

The thought that we could not attack Cody Sensabaugh is laughable.

Where were you last week after the winning drive?