Many Teams Too Often Fall For The Hype When Drafting Qb

MIKE75

Last year there was huge amounts of hype surrounding Johnny Manziel and many of his fans and some in the media was blowing the guy up like he was the second coming. However i knew as well as many others not to believe the hype. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones had to be talked out of drafting Manziel by his son. I think at this point Jones should be thankful to his son for doing it. Now come reports that Skip Bayless from ESPN has called Manziel an alcoholic and there is growing proof based on reports from inside the Browns organization that it could be true. http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/12/skip-bayless-johnny-manziel-alcoholic-browns

There are reports of Manziel being late and oversleeping,being late for medical treatment,throwing parties where teammates missed team meetings,having fights in bars,etc. However Cleveland spent a first round draft pick on the guy. Poor Cleveland...

So far i think Cleveland is dearly regretting Maniel he seems like an entitled jackass who has other things on his mind like partying. Manziel was hyped to the max but so far it doesn't look like he is translating well to the big leagues. Same with Tim Tebow another first rounder who did absolutely nothing. If a team is smart they won't be seduced by the hype. Some team will take that huge gamble and i for one hope this team is smart enough to just say no and let someone else be this years Cleveland Browns.

Which brings me to Jameis Winston. We already know all the things we've heard in the media regarding Winston and shoplifting,rape,profanity,etc. Basically the guy needs to grow up but i would be very afraid of how things might turn out once he gets his hands on millions of dollars. Winston is another QB regarded as a potential first round pick. There are all kinds of reports out there about how he has never lost a game and has battled back from deficits but there it is again the hype. Sorry but just like Manziel i wouldn't touch the guy with a ten foot pole. Some team probably the Jets will get suckered into picking him.

The talk out of New York is they are looking for a QB only two years after drafting Geno Smith. Smith was another one of those QB's hyped a couple years back and ended up being one of the first chosen by the N.Y. Jets. The other was EJ Manuel who Buffalo picked and the scary thing is Buffalo has pretty much cast him aside too. This season Manuel was replaced as starter by Kyle Orton. Buffalo would be a dangerous team but lack one essential ingredient a starting QB.

In 2012 both Russell Wilson and Nick Foles were third rounders and better than RGIII who was one of the main first rounders being hyped. RGIII had a pretty good first season and it has been all downhill from there. He has battled injuries,had trouble playing well and his head coach has pretty much said RGIII is not who he wants at QB.

In 2011 Gabbert,Locker and Ponder all first rounders were busts while second rounders Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick have made regular playoff appearances and played better.

In this years draft i expect both Winston and Mariota to be the first QB's off the board but i also think both will ending up leading whatever team drafts them to be disapointed in the long run. We've seen it in the last few drafts and we will see it again.....

Teams need to quit listening to the hype and watch the tape.........

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last year there was huge amounts of hype surrounding Johnny Manziel and many of his fans and some in the media was blowing the guy up like he was the second coming. However i knew as well as many othe

Webster gets bashed for taking Oline men in the first and the Cowboys are being praised for dedicating themselves to building an O-line by taking 3 oline men in the first round in the last 4 drafts.

That 2011 draft was all about teams buying the ESPN "Year of the QB" crap. None of the QB in that draft outside of Newton I guess are really worth it.   Really You have Wilson, Luck, and probably Ne

Last year there was huge amounts of hype surrounding Johnny Manziel and many of his fans and some in the media was blowing the guy up like he was the second coming. However i knew as well as many others not to believe the hype. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones had to be talked out of drafting Manziel by his son. I think at this point Jones should be thankful to his son for doing it. Now come reports that Skip Bayless from ESPN has called Manziel an alcoholic and there is growing proof based on reports from inside the Browns organization that it could be true. http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/12/skip-bayless-johnny-manziel-alcoholic-browns

There are reports of Manziel being late and oversleeping,being late for medical treatment,throwing parties where teammates missed team meetings,having fights in bars,etc. However Cleveland spent a first round draft pick on the guy. Poor Cleveland...

So far i think Cleveland is dearly regretting Maniel he seems like an entitled jackass who has other things on his mind like partying. Manziel was hyped to the max but so far it doesn't look like he is translating well to the big leagues. Same with Tim Tebow another first rounder who did absolutely nothing. If a team is smart they won't be seduced by the hype. Some team will take that huge gamble and i for one hope this team is smart enough to just say no and let someone else be this years Cleveland Browns.

Which brings me to Jameis Winston. We already know all the things we've heard in the media regarding Winston and shoplifting,rape,profanity,etc. Basically the guy needs to grow up but i would be very afraid of how things might turn out once he gets his hands on millions of dollars. Winston is another QB regarded as a potential first round pick. There are all kinds of reports out there about how he has never lost a game and has battled back from deficits but there it is again the hype. Sorry but just like Manziel i wouldn't touch the guy with a ten foot pole. Some team probably the Jets will get suckered into picking him.

The talk out of New York is they are looking for a QB only two years after drafting Geno Smith. Smith was another one of those QB's hyped a couple years back and ended up being one of the first chosen by the N.Y. Jets. The other was EJ Manuel who Buffalo picked and the scary thing is Buffalo has pretty much cast him aside too. This season Manuel was replaced as starter by Kyle Orton. Buffalo would be a dangerous team but lack one essential ingredient a starting QB.

In 2012 both Russell Wilson and Nick Foles were third rounders and better than RGIII who was one of the main first rounders being hyped. RGIII had a pretty good first season and it has been all downhill from there. He has battled injuries,had trouble playing well and his head coach has pretty much said RGIII is not who he wants at QB.

In 2011 Gabbert,Locker and Ponder all first rounders were busts while second rounders Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick have made regular playoff appearances and played better.

In this years draft i expect both Winston and Mariota to be the first QB's off the board but i also think both will ending up leading whatever team drafts them to be disapointed in the long run. We've seen it in the last few drafts and we will see it again.....

That 2011 draft was all about teams buying the ESPN "Year of the QB" crap. None of the QB in that draft outside of Newton I guess are really worth it.

Really You have Wilson, Luck, and probably Newton since maybe Stafford was drafted in 2009. And the jury's still out on Stafford.

This is a league where coaches bought the ESPN hype of great signal-callers everywhere and rules geared toward throwing it all over the field. Many that bought in are left on the scrapheap because they believed QBs could be found and once found it's all you needed in this "passing league."

Time and time again it's proven to be BS. That when you constantly chase a dream of having your own "Peyton Manning" when it doesn't exist ... you go nowhere.

Edited by big2033

Winston can play, Manziel can't. Big difference.

Perhaps there's a big difference on the field, but off the field there's very little difference between them. All that talent won't matter, he'll waste it like so many others before him.

Edited by Oiler FANatic

Perhaps there's a big difference on the field, but off the field there's very little difference between them. All that talent won't matter, he'll waste it like so many others before him.

I think in this case Winstons off the field history is the only reason you pause before making him the number one pick

I'll go ahead and admit there could be a chance Winston plays well but at this point even though many say he looks like a surefire without the off the field baggage i just get the feeling he won't be able to put it altogether. I'm afraid once the big money hits,maturity issues,etc. it will be too much. Even if he does manage to put that behind him it won't be easy the big leagues are a lot different than college.

Edited by MIKE75

I think in this case Winstons off the field history is the only reason you pause before making him the number one pick

The fact that his play dropped off this season from his freshman year is a bigger reason.

His stats dropped off sure. He forced more passes this year and played on a less talented team, but he made many NFL throws, and his interceptions weren't really indicative of some major flaw

The unfortunate truth is, far too many NFL talent evaluators are influenced by media outlets whose primary goal is to sell advertising.

I remember reading an article about 2-3 years ago right around draft time talking about the draft hype, the Kipers & Mayocks, etc. Anyway, a few unamed (for obvious reasons) FO execs said that where these guys mock players absolutely factors into their picks, that they don't wan't to deal with the scorn of the fans if they take a guy who isn't as highly rated at a spot. It's hard to believe this is true but thats what the article said.

I remember reading an article about 2-3 years ago right around draft time talking about the draft hype, the Kipers & Mayocks, etc. Anyway, a few unamed (for obvious reasons) FO execs said that where these guys mock players absolutely factors into their picks, that they don't wan't to deal with the scorn of the fans if they take a guy who isn't as highly rated at a spot. It's hard to believe this is true but thats what the article said.

They really shouldn't bow to fan pressure because fans are total hypocrites. Fans will spend the entire off season clamoring for the team to draft a guy and when the FO drafts that guy but he doesn't work out they call the FO incompetent for drafting him in the first place. Your best chance is always to draft the guy your rated highest and hope they succeed because guess what? After the fans bitch and moan about you drafting him, if he plays well they'll pretend they knew he should have been the pick all along *coughs* Taylor Lewan *coughs*. Same thing goes for free agents *sneeze* Levitre *sneeze*.

Wilson is on a great team but seems to be a pretty good QB also so I think that the seahawks did a good job there...but that team was a great place for a QB to start his career.  Also a perfect fit for Wilson.

as far as the rest of them go..Dalton, Kaepernick, Locker, Ponder, RGIII, and Foles...I think they are pretty much interchangeable.  They are products of the teams that they ended up on or the ability to avoid injury.  I left out Gabbert cause I do believe he was terrible and in no way should have been drafted in the early rounds.

I would say that RGIII could have easily done what Kaep did in San Fran if he was on that team and managed to avoid injuy.  Maybe even done it better.  

Teams need to approach how they develop these guys differently.  If you draft one of the top guys you need to be prepared to sit him and develop him unless your team is complete.  Sure you may be using a top draft pick but that doesn't mean he needs to start day one.  These guys are getting drafted high because of the position they play...not the fact that they are ready to play.  

Those guys have no business being in an NFL Front Office then.