Remember when many were too concerned about how long Rivers would last if we traded for him in 2015?

Face

4 seasons later his completion % is 70.1......with a 116 rating. JFC.

I mean, I love me some Marcus & I still think he's going to put together a very nice year, but Rivers is putting up numbers I've really only seen in Madden right now.

Who knows if this deal was ever really close to happening, but there was a ton of talk about it. It had a lot more legs then most rumors. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

4 seasons later his completion % is 70.1......with a 116 rating. JFC.   I mean, I love me some Marcus & I still think he's going to put together a very nice year, but Rivers is putting u

His supporting cast has nothing to do with his numbers. He's consistently put up numbers regardless. Remember they lost their star TE just like the Titans, Henry Hunter. No biggie, washed up Antonio G

Well I'm not saying I would've done this. I still think Mariota is a very good QB & will be our franchise for the next decade plus. In fact I fully believe he's a big time QB right now, as this PF

8 minutes ago, Dinx81 said:

Wonder how much personnel has to do with those numbers. Would he be doing half as good on this team?

I bet he would. Rivers has been putting up consistent numbers since his rookie year regardless of who is on the field with him.

26 minutes ago, Dinx81 said:

Wonder how much personnel has to do with those numbers. Would he be doing half as good on this team?

This is Rivers' 13th year starting.  He's consistently been one of the league's most consistent and productive passers throughout his career despite multiple coaching staffs and turning over the roster every few years.    It obviously helps having a HOF TE like Antonio Gates....but it takes more than a great TE to achieve the type of production Rivers puts up every year.

Rivers has had a HOF-caliber career;  it's just a shame that he's played for a franchise that's been in constant turmoil with dysfunctional ownership.

26 minutes ago, Dinx81 said:

His supporting cast has nothing to do with his numbers. He's consistently put up numbers regardless. Remember they lost their star TE just like the Titans, Henry Hunter. No biggie, washed up Antonio Gates has 9 catches. Titan skill players are getting open, the passes either aren't thrown or their late/off target often. 

Would he be doing half as good on this team? Of course he would. Davis would be among league leaders for receptions and yards. Dion Lewis and Taylor wold be running free. 

59 minutes ago, Face said:

I love me some Marcus & I still think he's going to put together a very nice year

Do you realize Mariota has only thrown a TD in one game this season and has an INT in every game but one, the Jags game in which they barely threw the ball and scored 9 points. He's on pace for a statistically worse season than last year

45 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

I dont believe Rivers ever had an interest in playing here. I'm sure Volek gave him an earful of how this franchise is run. Rivers certainly enjoyed beating us 

Of course he wanted to play for the Titans.  Didn’t he grow up a fan of the team?  And it was near where he grew up.  Plus he would have been playing for Whisenhunt whom he loved.

3 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

I bet he would. Rivers has been putting up consistent numbers since his rookie year regardless of who is on the field with him.

This. He has some nice weapons now but they're not overwhelming. Actually they are very good now that I look at it....Gordon & Eckler is an awesome backfield duo....especially AE. He's a terrific receiver. Keenan Allen is one of the  great WR's in the league & Mike Williams is starting to beast & remind everybody that he was one of the best WR's at the catch point to come out in years. (DeVante Parker is the other one & why I'd still love to trade for him).

Bur you're point is made. How many years did this guy lose his top 2-3 WR's? It was incredible.  And he'd still dominate. I remember him leading rhe league in YPA, one of the 2-3 most important stats, when Legande Nenee was his number 2. And I probably spelled that wrong.

And his OL's certainly haven't been overly impressive, aside from his first year or two when SD was stacked.

So in basically his first year in over a decade with high level targets he's dropping a 116 rating down......

3 hours ago, JoelinBellevue said:

I dont believe Rivers ever had an interest in playing here. I'm sure Volek gave him an earful of how this franchise is run. Rivers certainly enjoyed beating us 

Volek?

Joel continuing to live off the year or two that he had Titans season tickets...

Edited by japan

1 hour ago, Soxcat said:

It comes down to where your team is.  If you are a QB away from really competing you do what you can to get that QB.  If you are basically rebuilding from the bottom up you take the young guy and expect to be picking early a few more years. 

Think about it.  If we trade for Rivers we have him and what else (maybe losing another 1st in the process)?  And then maybe he is good enough to get us close to 500 each year.  So we never really are able to get out of the average hole we are in.  We don't have the team around him to really compete for a SB anyway.  And why would Rivers or any vet QB want that scenario?  Thus giving up two 1st round picks for Rivers might be a real dumb thing to do long term. 

Well I'm not saying I would've done this. I still think Mariota is a very good QB & will be our franchise for the next decade plus. In fact I fully believe he's a big time QB right now, as this PFF piece verifies:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-re-evaluating-the-nfl-passer-rating-using-big-time-turnover-worthy-throws

This really is astonishing, that Mariota'a rating increases more than double the next guy & basically 5X everybody else. And before people claim "it's just PFF", it also validates exactly what we see on the field. And it's happening again this year. The drops we're seeing are just incredible. This guy has lost so many yards & scores the last year & a quarter it's stomach turning. 

Im just posting this as good for thought & because I love Rivers & it's crazy how great he's playing.

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Do you realize Mariota has only thrown a TD in one game this season and has an INT in every game but one, the Jags game in which they barely threw the ball and scored 9 points. He's on pace for a statistically worse season than last year

This is true. But he also played less then a half against Miami & could barely throw the ball in the Jax game. What he did on the road against that defense, with how hampered he was throwing, was awesome. Then he made a ton of monster throws against Philly. He was bad in the Buffalo game. 

And the 2 picks in the Miami game obviously slipped out of his hand after the injury.

These next 2 weeks are huge for him.