Great article on Vrabel and the Titans from Sando

BudsOilers

14 hours ago, IrishTitansFan said:

I guarantee over the 20 years he would make the playoffs a ton and be considered one of the best coaches in the league, even if it wasn't all in NE

He's coached 9 seasons without Brady.

He has 1 playoff win(made it as a wildcard and was blown out in round 2). 6 of those 9 seasons were losing records

I wouldn't guarantee too much

QB way more important than HC, even the greatest HC of all time 

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Link https://theathletic.com/3914957/2022/11/21/mike-vrabel-tennessee-titans-coach/  

Mularkey won 9 games against two cupcake schedules with all sorts of breaks, then won literally the luckiest playoff game in NFL history where everything had to go right for the Titans to win against

I'll just say this... in a league of 32 teams - the expectation that a team has to win the superbowl or it's a bust of a season is a pretty miserable way to spend your time as a fan.   5th b

6 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

He has 1 playoff win(made it as a wildcard and was blown out in round 2). 6 of those 9 seasons were losing records

Agree with the sentiment but Belichick def is a major factor for a team.

In NE he has a winning record without Brady. When you take out that first year it's a pretty good winning record. And Brady wasn't really Brady until maybe 2005

His QB's during that time he has a winning record

Matt Cassell

Jimmy G/Jacoby Brissett

The Ghost of Cam Newton

Mac Jones

If he even found a decent QB in this hypothetical without Brady, he'd be making the playoffs year after year

10 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Head coaches are much like running backs - some are definitely better than others, but even a good one can only do so much better than another depending on what's around them, and the best ones are the best mainly because they are good enough to keep getting work.

Look at all the hubbub for Jeff Saturday being hired and he goes out and wins his first game then almost beats the Eagles with the best record in football. Of course I take Vrabel over Mularkey but it's not like Iowa's facts are wrong even if you don't agree with his opinion.

GM on the other hand is the QB - more impactful - bc a talented roster always makes coaches/coordinators look like geniuses, who then get hired by awful teams and suddenly can't coach anymore. 

12 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

First of all they have literally beaten no one. But I'm not arguing BB isn't a great coach, he's the best ever. I'm arguing without a great QB he ain't doing shit. And they won't do anything this season either

I agree. Just pointing out the Pats have dogshit at Qb the past 2 years and they are still winning games. Can they compete in the playoffs with this formula? No. But they can in the regular season which is a testament to BB's coaching ability.

5 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I agree. Just pointing out the Pats have dogshit at Qb the past 2 years and they are still winning games. Can they compete in the playoffs with this formula? No. But they can in the regular season which is a testament to BB's coaching ability.

If you look at their schedule their opponents QBs are stinkier dog shit

Belichick won 2 rings as a DC prior to winning 6 as a HC/GM.  He drafted Tom Brady.  He's a good enough coach to know he needs a QB, and while he had one he maximized results.  He ain't Mike McCarthy winning one ring with Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers.

6 hours ago, pat said:

Belichick won 2 rings as a DC prior to winning 6 as a HC/GM.  He drafted Tom Brady.  He's a good enough coach to know he needs a QB, and while he had one he maximized results.  He ain't Mike McCarthy winning one ring with Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers.

He's the greatest coach in NFL history, maybe all of sports

10 hours ago, pat said:

Idk how he got the cowboys job lol

11 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Belichich is now 6-5 and has the Bills twice, Miami, Cincy, @ LV and @ the Cards

I smell another losing season

You want to know something funny/ironic, if Belicheck were a crappier coach, the odds of them finding a qb are higher.  He has them around the "Fisher line" with that stiff Jones as a qb.  That means drafting in the late teens.   The Pats getting coached by some idiot loser like say Kingsbury would have improved their draft slot.